Your company’s logo is the most important aspect of your branding, as it must represent your company and its personality with one single image. For this reason, you also want to be able to adapt your logo to many different platforms, ensuring it looks good no matter where you put it. Whether it’s a social media cover photo, shop front, or product packaging, you need a logo you can use over any type of background, with no limitations.
The best way to achieve this is by using a logo with a transparent background.
The good news is that when you use an online logo maker, you can download your logo as a transparent PNG file.
If you decide to hire someone else to design your logo for you, all you have to do is request your logo in a transparent file format, such as PNG or SVG. I highly recommend Fiverr, where you can find a professional designer for as little as $5.
What Is a Transparent Logo?
When we talk about “transparent logos,” what we’re really talking about is logos with transparent backgrounds.
A transparent logo is the version of the logo without any background color. As soon as you overlay it onto another picture or background, it will act as a transparent watermark, which doesn’t detract from the underlying image or stand out in an unprofessional way. Once you have a vector copy, you can drag and drop it onto any platform easily.
If you opt for a transparent emblem, you’ll be able to use a few different formats. The most common file types are PNG, GIF, and SVG.
- PNG images make up 90% of web branding. The format was developed in 1996 and became popular thanks to the scope it provides for editing.
- GIF was the original format used for transparent backgrounds, but quickly became outdated due to some of the limitations. You don’t have the option to customize the transparency, which is why most people opt for PNG.
- SVG is another format, which specializes in vector images. You can create transparent backgrounds that are easily scalable to any size you need, without losing overall quality. It doesn’t use pixels; therefore, the edges remain sharp even when the image is enlarged.
How Transparent Logos Can Benefit Your Business
Creating a transparent logo is easy, especially if you use an online logo maker. Here are some of the benefits of transparent logos:
First and foremost, your logo needs to look nice. A 2009 study by Duke University researchers showed that humans are naturally drawn to beautiful things, so the importance of aesthetically pleasing branding is high. Using a transparent logo will ensure your branding is smooth and attractive to all potential customers.
Versatile and Easy to Integrate
Your logo needs to work with your business; constantly redesigning for each purpose will be an ongoing waste of time and effort. Using a transparent logo means it’s easy to transfer it to different platforms. It will work with any color and won’t be distracting when placed over images. Having a versatile emblem means your company can grow around it, without the need for constant revisions.
Professionalism in branding is a thin line; it takes considerable artistic skill to ensure your logo and merchandise don’t look like a school project. One clear signifier of amateurism is a pair of images that don’t gel together, and look clunky once the promotion design is finished. Having a transparent logo reduces the risk of this happening, as it ensures your logo can seamlessly be integrated into any advertising material.
Promising for Increased Marketing Potential
An attractive logo that works on any background gives you a broader scope for advertising campaigns. As customers enjoy displaying emblems of their favorite brands, having a visually appealing logo increases this marketing potential. You can make stickers and flyers that are given out with purchases, so buyers can stick them on their cars, bikes, or bedroom walls. This organic form of promotion is truly invaluable, as it falls into the “word-of-mouth” category — which 80% of consumers believe is the most trustworthy form of advertising.
How To Make Your Logo Transparent
The advantages of having a transparent logo are undeniable. Now you need to know how to make one. There are several routes you can take, depending on your level of skill as a designer. You can create the transparency yourself, pay a designer to do it, or use one of the many online logo design services. Each option has different pros and cons:
Graphics software like Photoshop allows you to remove the colored background from your existing logo. If you’re not too proficient with this software, it’s easy to find step-by-step tutorials on YouTube, which will lead you through the process. However, if you’ve never used Photoshop before, learning all the controls can be very time-consuming. If this is the case, it’s better to delegate the responsibility to someone else.
Hire a Freelancer
On Fiverr, you can hire a designer for as little as $5 to design a new logo from scratch or remove the background from an existing logo file. As your funds are kept in escrow until you’re happy with the work, there’s no risk involved – and this is definitely an easier route than trying to figure out how to do it yourself in Photoshop.
Use a Logo Design Service
There are many great online logo design services out there. You can use them to easily create your own logo. The best logo design platforms give you a variety of file formats, often including a transparent version of your logo. In some cases, you may have to pay extra to get a transparent file, but the cost is often minimal. If you don’t currently have a logo you’re happy with, this can be a great option.
Top Logo Design Services
Here are some logo design services I personally recommend:
- 99designs is a design contest website, which lets you crowdsource design ideas from professional artists. All packages include a transparent logo, as the designers are required to submit a PNG file with a see-through background. You can read our full 99designs review for more information.
- DesignCrowd is another crowdsourcing contest platform for which we have an expert DesignCrowd review. It promises 25-100 designs per competition. There’s an option to request a transparent background as part of your brief.
- Tailor Brands offers an automated logo design generator. The bot allows you to specify your preferences before generating several design options based on templates. You can opt to receive your logo as a transparent PNG or a vector EPS file. Read our full Tailor Brands review to learn more.
- Looka is another logo generator that suggests different styles and allows you to customize them. This platform offers only logo files with transparent backgrounds in the Premium and Enterprise Packages, so you’d have to opt for these price plans. If you want more information about the individual packages, check our .
Create Flexible, Actionable Logos to Grow Your Brand
In theory, it’s clear why using a transparent logo is important, but statistics can confirm the validity of this claim. According to a study by Forbes, consistent branding across all platforms can increase your revenue by 23%. Considering this, having a transparent logo that you can easily add to all your branding materials is a truly essential pursuit.
If you’re serious about your business and brand marketing, and if you don’t yet have a transparent logo, there’s no reason for you to wait any longer to make one.
2009 study by Duke University researchers: https://www.fastcompany.com/1671902/science-explains-why-humans-covet-beautiful-things
Word of Mouth Statistics: https://www.invespcro.com/blog/word-of-mouth-marketing/
Forbes Study: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gabrielshaoolian/2018/08/10/10-marketing-web-design-branding-statistics-to-help-you-prioritize-business-growth-initiatives/