“Transparent Logo” is somewhat of a misnomer. What we’re really talking about is logos with transparent backgrounds. This arm of branding is one of the most important, as your logo must represent your company and its personality with one single image. Alongside this, you need to be able to adapt your emblem to many different platforms, ensuring it visually correlates to anything you use it on. Whether it’s a social media cover photo, shop front, or company product, your logo needs to integrate well — without using harsh lines of clashing colors.
The best way to achieve this is by using a transparent background.
What is a Transparent Logo?
A transparent logo is the version of the logo without any background. As soon as you overlay it onto another picture or color, it will act as a transparent watermark, which doesn’t detract from the underlying image or stand out in an unprofessional way. Once you have a vector copy, you can drag and drop it onto any platform easily. Your logo can be used for:
- Posters and Flyers
- Copyrighted images
- Company Merchandise
- Social Media
- Letter Headers
- Email Campaign
If you opt for a transparent emblem, you’ll be able to use a few different formats. The most common file types are PNG, GIF, and SVG.
- PNG images make up 90% of web branding. The format was developed in 1996 and became popular thanks to the scope it provides for editing.
- GIF was the original format used for transparent backgrounds, but quickly became outdated due to some of the limitations. You don’t have the option to customize the transparency, which is why most people opt for PNG.
- SVG is another format, which specializes in vector images. You can create transparent backgrounds that are easily scalable to any size you need, without losing overall quality. It doesn’t use pixels; therefore, the edges remain sharp even when the image is enlarged.
How Transparent Logos Can Benefit Your Business
Creating a transparent logo does involve extra effort, but the work is far outnumbered by the rewards. Many benefits exist when creating an emblem of this type. Transparent logos are:
First and foremost, your logo needs to look nice. A 2009 study by Duke University researchers showed that humans are naturally drawn to beautiful things, so the importance of aesthetically pleasing branding is high. Using a transparent logo will ensure your branding is smooth and attractive to all potential customers.
Versatile and Easy to Integrate
Your logo needs to work with your business; constantly redesigning for each purpose will be an ongoing waste of time and effort. Using a transparent logo means it’s easy to transfer it to different platforms. It will work with any color and won’t be distracting when placed over images. Having a versatile emblem means your company can grow around it, without the need for constant revisions.
Professionalism in branding is a thin line; it takes considerable artistic skill to ensure your logo and merchandise don’t look like a school project. One clear signifier of amateurism is a pair of images that don’t gel together, and look clunky once the promotion design is finished. Having a transparent logo reduces the risk of this happening, as it ensures your logo can seamlessly be integrated into any advertising material.
Promising for Increased Marketing Potential
An attractive logo that works on any background gives you a broader scope for advertising campaigns. As customers enjoy displaying emblems of their favorite brands, having a visually appealing logo increases this marketing potential. You can make stickers and flyers that are given out with purchases, so buyers can stick them on their cars, bikes, or bedroom walls. This organic form of promotion is truly invaluable, as it falls into the “word-of-mouth” category — which 80% of consumers believe is the most trustworthy form of advertising.
How To Make Your Logo Transparent
The advantages of having a transparent logo are undeniable. Now you need to know how to make one. There are several routes you can take, depending on your level of skill as a designer. You can create the transparency yourself, pay a designer to do it, or use one of the many online logo design services. Each option has different pros and cons:
Editing programs, such as Photoshop, will allow you to take out the colored background of your existing logo. If you’re not too proficient with this software, it’s easy to find step-by-step tutorials on YouTube, which will lead you through the process. However, if you’ve never used Photoshop before, learning all the controls from scratch may take more time than it’s worth. If this is the case, it’s better to delegate the responsibility to someone else.
Hire a Freelancer
Websites such as Fiverr allow you to hire designers for as little as $5. While there’s no guarantee of skill, hiring an artist for a simple task — like making a background transparent — is a low-risk pursuit. As long as your designer has some experience using design software, it’s highly unlikely that he or she will mess up your logo and make it look unprofessional. However, if you need a timely turnaround, then you should consider another option, as there’s no guarantee that the freelancer you hire will be punctual.
To learn more about Fiverr, feel free to read our expert review.
Use a Logo Design Service
Many online logo design services exist. They allow you to easily create logos from scratch using a generator bot. Many of these platforms give you a variety of finished products, often including a transparent version of the emblem automatically. Some design websites require that you pay extra for transparency, but the cost is often minimal. This option is the best choice if you currently don’t have a logo you’re happy with.
Top Logo Design Services
If you opt to use one of the best logo design services, you have several choices. The following are all top-rated platforms that offer design options with a transparent background:
- 99designs is a design contest website, which lets you crowdsource design ideas from professional artists. All packages include a transparent logo, as the designers are required to submit a PNG file with a see-through background. You can read our full review for more information.
- DesignCrowd is another crowdsourcing contest platform for which we have an expert review. It promises 25-100 designs per competition. There’s an option to request a transparent background as part of your brief.
- Tailor Brands offers an automated logo design generator. The bot allows you to specify your preferences before generating several design options based on templates. You can opt to receive your logo as a transparent PNG or a vector EPS file. Read our review here to learn more.
- Logojoy is another logo generator that suggests different styles and allows you to customize them. This platform offers only logo files with transparent backgrounds in the Premium and Enterprise Packages, so you’d have to opt for these price plans. If you want more information about the individual packages, check our full review.
Create Flexible, Actionable Logos to Grow Your Brand
In theory, it’s clear why using a transparent logo is important, but statistics can confirm the validity of this claim. According to a study by Forbes, consistent branding across all platforms can increase your revenue by 23%. Considering this, having a transparent logo that you can easily add to all your branding materials is a truly essential pursuit.
If you’re serious about your business and brand marketing, and if you don’t yet have a transparent logo, there’s no reason for you to wait any longer to make one.
2009 study by Duke University researchers: https://www.fastcompany.com/1671902/science-explains-why-humans-covet-beautiful-things
Word of Mouth Statistics: https://www.invespcro.com/blog/word-of-mouth-marketing/
Forbes Study: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gabrielshaoolian/2018/08/10/10-marketing-web-design-branding-statistics-to-help-you-prioritize-business-growth-initiatives/