In a hurry? Here’s the best way to get a professional logo in 2022
Free logo makers are fun, but did you know you can hire a designer on Fiverr to create a custom logo for you for as little as $5? I was surprised too, but when I tried it for myself, I was impressed with the results! Check out some great logo design samples here.
There are many free DIY logo makers out there, but not all of them produce good results. You don’t want to waste an hour designing your logo only to discover you can’t download the file type you need, or find out the file you can download for free is useless.
I’ve tested all the major logo makers to see which ones give you a professional-looking logo and files you can actually use on your website, your social media, or anywhere else you like.
During my research, I also found out how you can hire a professional designer for a surprisingly cheap price, and I have some great tips to share with you. (Impatient? Click here to jump down now!)
Read on for my favorite logo makers that are 100% free to use, or at least free to try.
Short on time? Here are the best ways to get a great logo in January 2022:
- Fiverr Logo Design – It’s not free, but since it’s such a great option, I had to include it. You can hire a designer to create a custom logo for you for only $5!
- Wix Logo Maker – Excellent editing tools and super-easy preset options. You can download a low-resolution sample, free for non-commercial use.
- Tailor Brands – The AI learns your preferences and creates a logo for you. Free to use; pay a small fee only if you’re happy with the results.
- Looka – Stylish logo templates. you can design as many logos as you like for free; pay only for the one you want to use.
- Canva Logo Maker – Select creative templates and upload your own icons, all for free.
What We Look For in the Best Free Logo Makers
When evaluating these tools, I looked for good logo design features without too many irritating limitations or upsells.
- Logo templates: Whether the logos are AI (Artificial Intelligence) generated or pulled from a template library, you should get plenty of variety.
- Customization tools: You should be able to personalize your logo by changing colors, fonts, layouts, and so on.
- Ease of use: DIY logo design shouldn’t be complicated, even if you have no creative background.
- File types: Free is only useful if your online logo maker gives you the right high-quality files to use online or in print.
Save up to 20 % on your Fiverr Logo Design plan!
Limited-time offer - Don't miss it!
The Best Free Online Logo Makers
After spending a few weeks testing dozens of online logo makers, only four made my list. I made sure to choose the ones that produce professional-looking results and give you lots of customization options, so you can create a unique logo for your brand.
Some of these platforms are 100% free to use, and will let you download your logo without paying a dime. Others are free to try – this means you can design as many logos as you like, and you pay a small fee only if you want to use one of them.
If you do decide to pay for one of these services, be sure to check our frequently updated logo design coupon page so you can get the best deal.
Wix is another highly-reviewed website builder with a user-friendly online logo maker.
Wix Logo Maker is AI-powered, which means that it learns from your preferences to generate unique logo templates for you. You’ll start by entering details about your business, describing your brand, and teaching the AI which logos you like.
You’ll then choose a design to customize, which is where this tool stands out. It takes only a click or two to change colors/fonts, add background shapes, find a new icon, curve or rotate text, and more.
You can make unlimited edits for free, and you can start over with a new logo design at any time. From the check-out page, you can also download a free sample (for non-commercial use).
Since Wix Logo Maker saves your designs, you can always come back later to edit or buy.
Logos Made with Wix Logo Maker
Read our expert review to learn more about Wix Logo Maker.
|Payment options?||One-time payment for logo only and optional subscription for additional services|
|Which file types will I get (with basic plan)?
|PNG in color, black, and white (with transparency)|
|Can I get premade templates for social media, business cards, etc.?||Yes, pre-sized social media logos and business card printing are available for an additional fee|
|Can I edit my logo after buying?||Yes, but you must repurchase the logo after editing|
Tailor Brands also uses AI technology to power its helpful startup wizard. To train the AI, you’ll be able to choose your preferred logo style (shown in the screenshot below) and then select for your favorite fonts.
My personal favorite is icon-based, as the built-in icon library offers a great selection. You can opt for an AI-generated abstract icon or choose your own by searching.
The logo customization tools are easy-to-use and offer creative, visually appealing preset options for font, color, and layout. You can also download a free sample at any time (free for non-commercial use) by clicking the button highlighted below:
Tailor Brands will save your designs, so you can return at a later time without having to start over. One downside, however, is that logo purchase requires a subscription; there are no one-time payment plans available.
Logos Made with Tailor Brands
Want to know more? Check out our Tailor Brands expert review.
|Payment options?||Subscription only|
|Which file types will I get (with basic plan)?
|JPEG, PNG (including transparent background)|
|Can I get premade templates for social media, business cards, etc.?||Yes, a logo resizing tool comes with the basic plan. Business card templates and presentation decks are available for an additional fee.|
|Can I edit my logo after buying?||Yes, you can change the color, layout, and tagline after purchase.|
Also AI-powered, Looka differs in that you can select up to five specific icons you like during the startup process. This makes your AI-generated logo designs more relevant to you, and the terrific icon library may even spark some creativity.
Within the editor, Looka offers plenty of ready-to-go designs. In just a click, you can apply suggested color palettes and gradients, change fonts, or try new text layouts (shown in the screenshot below).
Looka will save your logo designs so you can always come back later, but there is no free logo sample, even for non-commercial use. The basic plan is also quite limited, giving you only one PNG file (with no transparency).
Logos Made with Looka
Learn more in our expert review on Looka.
|Payment options?||One-time payment|
|Which file types will I get (with basic plan)?
|PNG (no transparency)|
|Can I get premade templates for social media, business cards, etc.?||Yes, business card designs and social media graphics available with premium plans.|
|Can I edit my logo after buying?||Yes, free edits within 72 hours of purchase.|
Canva offers hundreds of logo templates, helpfully divided into industry categories for you to browse (see screenshot below).
One feature that sets Canva apart is that you can upload your own files, even on the free plan. That makes it easy to incorporate any branding elements you already have.
The Elements tab is also great, allowing you to choose modern logo design options like shapes, lines, and gradients. From this tab, you can even add animated elements like stars, arrows, or emojis. (If you want to download a GIF of your animated logo, however, you’d need to have a premium plan.)
Whenever you’re done, choose a file type for immediate download in the browser. The only disadvantage here is that transparent files are only available with paid plans.
Logos Made with Canva Logo Maker
|Which file types will I get for free?
|PNG (no transparency), JPG, PDF, or MP4 video (for animations)|
|Can I get premade templates for social media, business cards, etc.?||Yes, you can use the free editor to resize your logo for social media. For a fee, you can print on t-shirts, business cards, and more.|
|Can I edit my logo later?||Yes, all designs are saved to your account for free editing.|
Free Logo Makers That Didn’t Make the List
In my search for the best free logo makers, there were other services that did a pretty decent job, yet they didn’t quite measure up to my quality standards. It might surprise you which ones just missed out and why.
- Shopify Logo Maker: Shopify is great for building an online store, but not so much for logos. The template editing options are extremely limited – in many cases, you can’t even modify the colors, fonts, or icons. It also doesn’t provide you with print-ready image files, which you’ll definitely need at some point.
- SMASHINGLOGO: Two big pluses: It’s available in several languages, and it generates logo designs for you – no artistic skills required. Unfortunately, there are no helpful tutorials or a wizard to guide you through the design process, and the DIY options are limited. Also, purchasing a logo only grants you a license to use it; you can’t file a copyright for the design.
- Logaster: Easy to use, and it uses Artificial Intelligence to generate logo concepts you can tweak further (with unlimited edits). The main issue: the designs are very generic and uninspired, which means they won’t set you apart from other businesses.
- GraphicSprings: Another logo maker that supports several languages, which is great for international users. It also has a nice selection of editable vector-based artwork you can recolor to your liking. One big problem: You can’t save your work-in-progress – you have to purchase your logo right away in order to download or use it. The commercial usage rights are a bit unclear as well.
- Ucraft: Good for developing a basic logo concept for personal use. It’s pretty easy to use with lots of options, including gradient swatches, high-quality fonts, and professionally-designed icons. If you want to trademark your logo for business purposes, though, the usage rights are difficult to understand, plus the Open Source artwork may not be 100% unique to your logo.
Want a Better Logo? How to Hire a Designer Almost for Free
If you’ve tried to design a logo online but haven’t been wowed, don’t worry. You can also hire a designer on Fiverr for only $5 – which is practically free, right?
Fiverr has almost 1,500 logo designers available (see screenshot below). That means that you can likely hire a pro for less than you’d pay for a DIY logo design maker!
Fiverr also makes the logo design process easy by letting you:
- Browse designer portfolios, prices, and reviews
- Sort by file types, price, and deadline
- Directly message designers before hiring
- Request revisions before approving the final logo design
Compared to even the best logo maker online, a professionally designed logo will be far more unique and personalized to you. And like a paid logo maker, you’ll only pay when you’re happy, as Fiverr doesn’t release funds until you’ve approved the work.
It’s no surprise that many reviewers rate Fiverr so highly.
Fiverr Designers Available for Hire at $5
Logo by usashi (hire now for $5)
Logo by bilal_khann (hire now for $5)
Logo by ei8htz (hire now for $5)
Which Logo Design Service Is the Best for YOU?
High-quality logos can be pricey, but don’t let anyone convince you that you have to spend big bucks on design. Each of the tools discussed above can create a solid logo, it all depends on what you’re looking for.
- If you need a logo for your business or brand and it’s important to you to have a custom design that really stands out, I recommend hiring a designer for $5 on Fiverr. Sometimes you just need that extra professional touch.
- If you’re looking for a 100% free logo for personal use, I’d go with Canva Logo Maker. The templates are attractive, the customizations are easy, and you can even upload your own icons.
- If you want to design your own logo and you don’t mind paying a bit more, then I particularly love the customization options of Wix Logo Maker. The one-time payment is still affordable and gives you useful logo files, including transparency.
As a quick refresher before you go, here’s how these free logo makers stack up:
|Free?||Stand-Out Feature||Biggest Limitation|
|Fiverr Logo Design||No, but costs as little as $5||You save time and headaches and get a custom logo that’s truly unique||You might have to wait 24-48 hours to get your logo, depending on the seller|
|Wix Logo Maker||Free to try + free logo sample||Great drag-and-drop editor with creative customizations||AI-generated results can be irrelevant, so you may need to spend time customizing|
|Tailor Brands||Free to try + free logo sample||Quick and simple editing process||Only subscription plans are available|
|Looka||Free to try||Easy, one-click edits to try new colors, layouts, and shapes||You only get one PNG with the basic plan|
|Canva Logo Maker||Free plan + paid plans available||Ability to upload your own files||You can only get transparent PNGs on the paid plans|
Which is the best free logo maker? If budget isn’t a concern, then Wix logo maker is your best option. I loved the fact that the AI-powered logo maker made a unique logo just for me which I was able to customize into exactly what I wanted with just a few simple clicks. It was also a massive bonus that they offer unlimited edits for free.Can I use a free logo on my website? Yes, but bear in mind that when using a free tool, there will be others who have also used the same icons, images, and fonts. If you want to create something truly unique and special to you, then I recommend hiring a professional logo designer from Fiverr for only $5.Where can I get a cheap logo? Fiverr has over 1,500 logo designers. You can explain your vision to a professional designer and have them create a customized logo all for only $5 (which is probably less than you’d end up paying for a DIY logo designing tool). One of our experts tested three Fiverr professionals charging three very different rates and you can see the outcome.
To see the best deals available for Fiverr right now, don’t miss our coupon page.What are the best logo design services? This depends on your needs – do you want a DIY tool or do you want to hire a professional? Do you have any budget constraints for this? We tried and tested all the logo making tools so before you choose one, make sure you check out our list of the best logo design services.Are paid logo makers worth it?
The biggest difference between a free logo maker and a paid logo maker comes down to three aspects: