Get $65.00 Off Squarespace's Business Plan
Don't miss out on this great deal!
If you want to go directly to my Wix plan comparison, jump down now. But be aware that if you don’t pay close attention, you could be in for some unpleasant fee surprises after you commit to a plan. There are a few things you need to know in order to accurately predict how much a Wix website plan will really cost you.
1. Wix’s Advertised Plan Prices Are for YEARLY PaymentsWix lets you pay monthly, yearly, biennially, or triennially. As you might expect, the month-to-month cost of each plan gets lower the longer your subscription period. While that’s pretty much to be expected for all website builders, I was frustrated to find Wix’s advertised pricing per month only applies to yearly subscriptions. Basically, you’ll have to fork out a much bigger amount upfront. Wix doesn’t tell you any of this until you reach the payment page, so you will have to decide upfront if you want to pay the totality of your renewal price (which would be the advertised price times twelve), or if you’d rather pay monthly, but at a greater overall cost. For example, if you’re interested in the Business plan, you won’t be able to pay the advertised $32 monthly cost. You’ll either have to pay $384 in one sitting or get a monthly bill for $38 (which comes to a hefty fee of $456 each year). This isn’t clear until you select a plan, either. The difference between the month-by-month plan and annual plans varies a lot, and I found that the more expensive the plan, the lower the difference is. To show you just how much the difference between monthly and annual subscriptions can be, here’s a breakdown of Wix’s paid plans (excluding the enterprise plan, which doesn’t have set pricing):
|Price per month (paid annually)||$16||$27||$32||$159|
|Price per month (paid monthly)||$23||$34||$38||$172|
|Paying monthly costs you…||44% more||26% more||19% more||8% more|
- Free domain for a year
- Free Site Booster app for a year (Light plan not included)
- Free Events Calendar app for a year (Light plan not included)
- Free logo with Wix Logo Maker (Light plan not included)
2. Free Domains Aren’t Really FreeYou can connect a custom domain with all Wix paid plans, but the domain itself is not actually free. The free domain voucher included with an annual subscription is only good for the first year. After the first year, you’ll have to pay to renew your domain. So as great as it sounds, a “free domain” voucher doesn’t mean that your true Wix domain cost will be zero.
3. You Have To Pay Extra for Domain SecurityHere’s another fun little catch. Even in the one year when your domain is free, it doesn’t include Private Registration. That means that unless you pay an additional fee, your personal information connected to the domain name will be completely unprotected. This point is especially important since Wix is one of the only website builders that does this. Usually, domain security is included when you’re registering your domain. For example, Squarespace includes domain security on top of the same one-year free domain hosting offer you’d get from Wix.
4. All the Best Marketing Tools Require Extra FeesWix makes a big deal about its branding and marketing tools, such as its proprietary logo designer, email marketing panel, and Google Ads integration. The thing is, regardless of your plan, these integrations are severely limited unless you pay an extra fee for them. Though you can play around with the logo creator at will, you’ll have to fork over extra cash for the Basic or Advanced logo sets if you actually want to use your design. You can send some marketing emails for free, but that number is locked to a maximum of 200 per month with very basic campaign editing tools. If you want to send more emails or make them more appealing, you’ll have to choose one of three separate plans.
5. Many Useful Apps Come at an Extra CostAlthough some of them are free, many of the most useful Wix apps (or at least their most useful features) require additional payment. Premium apps are available on the Wix App Market from both Wix and third parties, with prices ranging from around $3 to $100+ per month. For comparison, there are plenty of robust WordPress plugins available for free throughout many third-party markets, while Squarespace’s e-commerce plans already include many of the best features you can get with the Wix app market.
6. The Money-Back Guarantee Doesn’t Cover EverythingAll of Wix’s premium plans come with a 14-day money-back guarantee, so you’d think that’d cover pretty much any purchase you make related to your subscription. It doesn’t – it only applies to the cost of your subscription. So, if you forget to cancel your plan before it renews, you’ll be able to get it refunded as long as you contact Wix customer services within 14 days. But if you forget to cancel your domain renewal, app subscription, or any add-on subscription, you’re out of luck. I recommend turning auto-renew off on all of these subscriptions that aren’t covered by the money-back guarantee to get full control over how much you spend on your Wix website.
Wix Plan Prices Vary by Location – Here’s How to Get the Best DealNot only does Wix pricing vary wildly depending on your geographic location, but so do the available plans. Visitors from the US, Canada, and Western Europe get access to the simplified 4 (paid) plan model. If you’re from pretty much anywhere else in the world, you’ll have to stick to the outdated 7-plan model. Even in regions where the plan offering is the same, the price will vary depending on your specific location. For example, while the Business plan costs $32 per month in the United States, it comes at over €34 per month in the EU, which (at the time of writing) translates to about $37. The same thing happens for regions with the outdated pricing model. Here’s a closer look at how the Business plan is priced across different regions:
|Region||Business Plan||Price in USD*|
|United States||$32 USD||$32|
Wix Price Plans – A First Look
A long, long time ago in a galaxy very far away, Wix offered over 7 different plans divided between e-commerce and non-e-commerce categories. However, Wix has a habit of constantly changing its pricing structure for the sake of “simplicity.” Right now, there are four different set-priced plans available, which differ in some key areas from the four different plans available in the previous-to-last version of the site.
All that to say, the following descriptions reflect the most up-to-date version of Wix’s pricing structure – but don’t be surprised if they change again in the near future.
Now that we have the minutiae out of the way, let’s dive deep into how much Wix actually costs. Luckily, the system is simpler than it used to be, so getting a good grasp should be (somewhat) easier.
- Light allows you to connect a domain and remove Wix’s branding
- Core gives you access to basic analytics and the capacity to accept payments
- Business gives you access to more complete e-commerce tools
- Business Elite gives you access to the full spectrum of Wix’s e-commerce tool and developer features
- What’s included in each plan (and what’s not)
- The biggest pros and cons of each plan
- Who should – and shouldn’t – use each plan
Which Pricing Plan Is Right for You?As you might expect, the main difference as you move between price ranges is the number of features Wix offers, as well as how specialized certain tools can get. Let’s take a closer look at what each plan offers:
Free – A Good Starting Point for Personal WebsitesPrice: $0 With the free plan, you’ll be able to use any of Wix’s beautiful templates and its drag-and-drop website builder. You’ll get enough storage and bandwidth (500MB each) to create a solid foundation for your site. However, your website will display Wix branding at the top, and you won’t be able to create or connect a custom domain.
Light – The Cheapest Plan for a Custom Identity
Price: per month (billed annually)
Light includes the basic functionalities you need for a professional website. To be more specific, the Light plan allows you to connect a custom domain and remove Wix branding from your website. Though it might not seem like much, a clean-looking site with a professional domain is the bare minimum you will need if you want your site to be taken seriously.
Besides that, Light expands your storage space to 2GB, and gives you unlimited bandwidth as well as access to a simple marketing suite. If your website is a team effort, this plan also allows you to work with up to two collaborators.
Core – A Big Leap in Functionality for a Small Increase in Price
Price: per month (billed annually)
Core gives you access to 25x the storage (50GB) of the Light plan, 5 hours of HD video hosting, and access to the Site Analytics app. That means that, all-in-all, Core is a huge step up in terms of features, functionality, and power.
Core is also the first plan with basic e-commerce features, such as accepting payments on your website, selling on social channels, and selling subscription plans. Starting from this plan forward, you also get access to one free logo with the Wix logo maker. If you want to make some revenue off your website and incorporate basic e-commerce functionalities, then Core is a great place to start.
Get an additional 15 % OFF any Wix plan!
This special offer applies on top of Wix's discounts for annual plans.
Business – The Best Choice for Complete E-CommercePrice: per month (billed annually) The Business plan doubles your storage space and HD video hours, as well as giving you access to up to 10 collaborator roles. If you’re a videographer or you run any kind of media-heavy website, this increase in storage space can make a huge difference. Business’ biggest selling point though, is that it includes a lot more features for a complete e-commerce experience. The Business plan gives you access to over 100 transactions per month worth of automated sales tax, the capacity to display up to 1000 reviews for your products, advanced branded e-gift cards, and options for managing transactions in up to 6 different currencies. If you pay annually, you’ll also get free access (for a year) to the site booster and events calendar apps. Both of these can be a huge help when setting up your website and helping you get exposure.
Business Elite – Not Worth the Price HikePrice: $159 per month (billed annually)
Recommended Alternatives to Wix PlansThere is a lot to like about Wix, such as its incredible design-freedom, easy-to-understand dashboard, and incredible template selection for all sorts of websites. Still, it might not give you what you need at a price that’s reasonable for you. So, before you sign up for a 3-year plan with Wix, it might be worth considering a different platform that offers similar features at a lower price.
|Considering this Wix plan?||Then consider this alternative for a similar price||Why?|
|Free||WordPress.com free||6x storage (3GB total)|
|Light||Hostinger Website Builder||Unlimited resources and access to e-commerce tools|
|Core||Squarespace Business||Full e-commerce functionalities and advanced SEO tools|
|Business||Squarespace Commerce||More flexible e-commerce, 0% transaction fees, powerful marketing features|
|Business Elite||Shopify Shopify||Largest e-commerce infrastructure in the world, tons of advanced integrations, funny name to say out loud|