Inside this Article
What We Look For in the Best Windows VPS Vendors1. Kamatera – Outstanding Customization for Servers Across the Globe2. Scala Hosting – Cloud VPS with Generous Resources at Good Prices3. IONOS – Top-Notch Free Personalized Support4. InterServer – American Muscle in a Windows VPS5. Liquid Web – Premium VPS With Tons of Extra FeaturesWhich Is the Best Windows VPS Host for Me?FAQ
In a hurry? These are our top Windows VPS hosting picks for 2023
- Kamatera – The widest selection of Windows versions, complete server modularity, and data centers across the globe.
- Scala Hosting – Plenty of resources at competitive prices.
- IONOS – Dedicated personal advisor to help you with hosting basics.
What We Look For in the Best Windows VPS VendorsI expect a lot more from Windows VPS hosting than I would from Linux VPS hosting, given that, unlike with Linux, Windows Server licenses cost money. For a host to make this list, it needs to offer the following:
- Performance – Just as with any other kind of hosting, your Windows Server VPS should offer blazing-fast speeds and uncompromising uptime. In other words, your websites should load immediately and always be available.
- Windows licenses – Windows VPS is a curious thing, as it requires specific Microsoft licenses. Some web hosts sell only the server, leaving you to take care of the rest. Not these hosts.
- Scalability – Your Windows VPS has to be able to scale up with the demands of a rapidly-growing website and surging online traffic.
- Managed support – You’re here because you want to host a website, not because you want to get a Ph.D. in virtual servers. These hosts offer fully-managed services to help you focus on what’s important.
- Value for money – Even if a VPS is pricier than shared hosting, you shouldn’t spend any more than you have to. These hosts offer quality VPS plans that don’t cost as much as a second mortgage.
Kamatera offers more server locations across the globe than any other host on this list. Data centers are available in Canada, Germany, Hong Kong, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, the UK, and the US. Not only does Kamatera offer a truly global cloud, it also offers a truly ridiculous amount of resources. In theory, you could get a VPS with as many as 104 cores, as much as 400 GB of RAM, and 16 TB of SSD storage split into four 4 TB disks, which might be enough to host a basic simulation of the known universe. Thanks to its advanced infrastructure, Kamatera allows you to launch a server in a matter of minutes. The company also provides the widest choice of Windows Server OS versions, from the classic 2012 to the spanking new 2022. The only “catch” is that the price of a fully managed service is relatively high. Then again, there’s a 30-day free trial, so Kamatera’s team of professionals have enough time to show you exactly how great it is when someone takes complete care of your server.
Kamatera VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPriceExpress 1 vCPU - Linux CentOS 830GB 5TB1 vCPU1GB$4.00More detailsExpress 1 vCPU - Windows Server 201930GB 5TB1 vCPU1GB$23.00More detailsExpress 2 vCPU - Linux CentOS 830GB5TB2 vCPU2GB$12.00More detailsExpress 2 vCPU - Windows Server 201930GB5TB2 vCPU2GB$29.00More detailsExpress 4 vCPU - Linux CentOS 850GB5 TB4 vCPU4GB$28.00More detailsExpress 4 vCPU - Windows Server 201950GB5TB4 vCPU4GB$45.00More detailsExpress Fully Managed 1 vCPU20GB5TB1 vCPU1GB$54.00More detailsExpress Fully Managed 2 vCPU50GB5TB2 vCPU2GB$64.00More detailsExpress Fully Managed 4 vCPU100GB5TB4 vCPU4GB$82.00More detailsExpress Fully Managed 8 vCPU250GB5TB8v vCPU8GB$133.00More detailsMore details
- Modular virtual servers – No one-size-fits-all plan here. Choose exactly how many virtual cores, RAM, and SSD storage you want to start with. You’ll always be able to scale up or down.
- All OS versions available – If it’s on the market, Kamatera can install it for you. There are no limitations on OS versions and no differences between their licensing price.
- Several management levels – You can go the unmanaged route, add a management panel (Plesk for Windows), or explain your needs to the Kamatera team and let them take care of it all.
- 99.95% uptime guarantee – Each of the company’s data centers is equipped with various redundancy measures, and you’re promised nearly perfect uptime.
|Windows Server Versions Available||Windows Server 2012, 2016, 2019 and 2022|
|Money-Back Guarantee||No, but there is a 30-day free trial|
2. Scala Hosting – Cloud VPS with Generous Resources at Good PricesScala Hosting allows you to custom-build a Windows-based cloud VPS, though it isn’t quite as flexible as Kamatera. Servers start with 2vCPU and 4GB RAM. Scala Hosting also offers nice features that Kamatera lacks – every cloud VPS package includes free snapshot backups and a 30-day money-back guarantee. Unfortunately, Scala only supports Windows on self-managed plans, and even then, only Windows Server 2019 is available as pre-installed server software. It’s not the latest version, but as you’ll have full root access, you’ll have free rein to manually install whatever works for you. While Scala Hosting’s resource-heavy servers are cheaper than similar setups with Kamatera, it offers equally good performance. As long as you don’t mind choosing from preset plans, Scala Hosting is certainly worth considering.
Scala Hosting VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPriceBuild #150 GB NVMe SSDUnmetered2 cores4 GB$29.95More detailsBuild #2100 GB NVMe SSDUnmetered4 cores8 GB$63.95More detailsBuild #3150 GB NVMe SSDUnmetered8 cores16 GB$121.95More detailsBuild #4200 GB NVMe SSDUnmetered12 cores24 GB$179.95More detailsSelf-Managed Custom BuildCustomCustomCustomCustom$20.00More detailsMore details
A free domain name is included with some hosting plans from Scala Hosting
- Easy server management – Scala Hosting allows you to manage your cloud VPS easily from the client area. You can upgrade and downgrade resources, monitor performance, stop or start your server, and more.
- Highly redundant – Your server data will be replicated across three different servers. If one server experiences a slowdown or a critical failure, traffic will be routed automatically to another with no downtime.
- Plenty of extra options – For additional fees, you can choose to purchase a cPanel licence, preinstall LiteSpeed web servers, or add the useful Softaculous app installer.
- Premium support available – While these servers are primarily unmanaged, you can request help from Scala Hosting’s managed support team. You’ll be charged for every 15 minutes of work in response.
|Windows Server Version Available||Windows Server 2019|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days|
IONOS offers some unique benefits that make it well worth considering. While the cheapest server is Linux-only, every other IONOS server supports Windows OS as an option – there’s quite a selection ranging from entry-level VPSs to memory-optimized powerhouses. What’s most interesting about IONOS is the caliber of support included with your plan. Every customer is assigned a dedicated support agent, who will usually be your single point of contact. As all your queries will be going to the same agent, they can become familiar with your server and overall goals, leading to more effective, targeted support. Your dedicated support agent can even help with some tasks that would cost a huge premium elsewhere. Support can offer server monitoring, help with performance optimization, and assistance with tightening security, all for free. Despite this added value, IONOS isn’t cheap, and choosing Windows adds a large monthly fee to the cost of your server.
- Optional advanced support – You can request extra help with server configuration, installation of third-party software, and more. However, these tasks will cost extra – you’ll need to contact support and explain what you require to get a quote.
- Free mobile app – The IONOS mobile app allows you to manage your hosting, invoices, and even contact support, wherever you may be.
- Fast server setup – IONOS aims to make new servers available within 55 seconds.
- Root access – All IONOS servers come with full root access. You can use Windows Remote Desktop Protocol to connect to your server and control it programmatically, which is supported by several of IONOS’ APIs.
|Windows Server versions available||Windows Server 2019 and 2022|
|Money-back guarantee?||30 days|
American powerhouse InterServer offers a variety of hosting services, operating off its six state-of-the-art data centers. With four in New Jersey, one in Los Angeles, and one in New York, any US-based website is promised great performance from coast to coast. Interserver also stands out for its special attention to Windows hosting, as it provides no less than 16 different Windows VPS configurations. This selection makes it possible to host virtually anything, from a successful blog to a multi-site network. InterServer is also one of the cheapest Windows VPS hosts on the list, offering plenty of vCPU cores and RAM at lower prices than most. If you’re targeting an American audience and you’re looking to save some cash, InterServer is a safe bet. However, keep in mind that performance will be slower outside the US.
- No-commitment monthly billing – Interserver doesn’t lock you into a multiple-year contract to give you the best deal. There’s no sneaky renewal fees to watch out for either – you just pay the same reasonable price every month.
- 99.9% uptime guarantee – InterServer commits to a binding 99.9% uptime guarantee in its service level agreement. If the guarantee isn’t met during any given month (highly unlikely), up to 50% of your monthly fee will be returned in credits.
- Choose between Windows 10, Server 2016, 2019, or 2022 – It isn’t an extensive list, but these are just the versions that can be preinstalled for you. You’re free to manually install whatever version of Windows you prefer.
- Free Windows OS repair – If you choose one of the Windows OSs supported by InterServer, it will help fix any major issues at no extra charge. You can also request reinstallations at any time.
|Windows Server Versions Available||Windows Server 2016, 2019 and 2022|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days|
5. Liquid Web – Premium VPS With Tons of Extra FeaturesLiquid Web is one of the most respected and professional companies in the business – serving a smaller client base, but keeping it mighty happy. It offers completely managed VPS services that come with a myriad of perks. Independent benchmarks place the company’s fast VPS hosting as one of the best options available today, outperforming many big names in terms of page loading times and server responses. Liquid Web offers three tiers of Windows VPS plans with 4, 8, and 16GB of RAM, respectively. You can pay monthly, annually, and biennially, and savings are significant – up to 50% – with longer terms. There isn’t a lot of variety, which is why it occupies a lower position on this list, but this is a premium service like few others.
- CloudFlare CDN – No longer will physical server locations impact your international visitor’s loading times. CloudFlare CDN is included free of charge, and your website will be promptly delivered to visitors anywhere – from Japan to Argentina.
- ServerSecure and DDoS Protection – The security suite is included with all VPS plans, and will keep your data secure and safe from any unwanted access. Additionally, the company provides a shield from DDoS attacks.
- Backups – Local backups let you operate with peace of mind. No matter what disaster befalls you, there will be a copy of your website waiting.
- Windows Server 2012, 2016 and 2019 – Choose the OS version you want, according to your needs and your website’s dependencies.
|Windows Server Versions Available||Windows Server 2012, 2016, and 2019|
|Money-Back Guarantee||No, but you can get a pro-rated refund|
Which Is the Best Windows VPS Host for Me?Windows might be less popular and more expensive than a Linux alternative, but there are many other great reasons for choosing a Windows VPS. All of the hosts above are great picks – but the best option for you will vary depending on your needs. If you’re struggling to decide, here are my top recommendations. For the best global performance, I’d go with Kamatera. With 18 data centers around the world, you’ll be able to serve your chosen audience with fast page loading speed wherever they are. It also features the widest range of Windows Server versions available for preinstallation. If you’d like to run a VPS with plenty of CPU and RAM, Scala Hosting gives you the best deal. It offers some of the lowest prices on resource-heavy Windows VPSs, and it impressed us with its overall performance. New to Windows VPS? I’d recommend IONOS. The dedicated personal consultant can give you all the support you need getting set up. A wide range of server options also means you’ll have plenty of room to scale.
|Standout Feature||Windows OS Options||Management Level||Starting Price|
|Kamatera||Full customization of your server & truly global reach||2012, 2016, 2019, 2022||Unmanaged, optional management available||$4.00|
|Scala Hosting||Generous resources at low prices||2019||Unmanaged||$20.00|
|IONOS||Dedicated support agent||2019, 2022||Unmanaged||$2.00|
|InterServer||Inexpensive & great performance in the US||2012, 2016, 2019, Windows 10||Unmanaged||$6.00|
|Liquid Web||One of the best performing VPS hosts in the industry||2016, 2019||Managed||$15.00|