Inside this Article
What We Look For in the Best Game Server Hosting Providers1. ShockByte – Tons of Game-Specific Server Hosting Plans & Server Locations2. ScalaCube – Easy-to-Use, Customizable Game Servers & Free Plan Options3. Hostinger – Affordable-Yet-Powerful Gaming VPSs With a Proprietary Game Panel4. Scala Hosting – Customizable High-End Minecraft VPS Plans With Managed Services5. Apex Hosting – Powerful Game Servers in Niche Locations6. Kamatera – Fully-Adjustable Cloud VPSs With a 30-Day Free Trial7. MelonCube – A Decent Variety of Game Server Hosting PlansWhich Is theBest Game Server Hosting Provider for You?FAQ
Short on Time? These Are the Best Gaming Server Hosting Providers in 2023
- ShockByte – The widest range of server locations worldwide and dedicated game server plans for popular titles.
- ScalaCube – Customizable plans with an easy-to-use platform, and a limited free plan available.
- Hostinger – Affordable VPS game server plans with an easy-to-use in-house Game Panel.
What We Look For in the Best Game Server Hosting ProvidersWhen selecting providers to host online multiplayer games, I considered a number of important factors. I used the criteria below to review and rank the hosts on the list below.
- Performance. Speed and power are important when it comes to hosting demanding games. The top game server hosts offer a variety of plans to suit your needs, ensuring the best performance for your game and your specific number of players.
- Reliability. Gaming is a competitive activity, so uptime and server reliability ranks high. You don’t want your game lagging or cutting out at a critical moment.
- Global data centers. Where your game server is located can matter. The nearer it is to a given player’s location, the lower the latency, and the better the connection speed – so, if all of the players on your server will be clustered around a given location, it’s best to choose a nearby data center.
- Game compatibility. Support for a large selection of games, including new and popular titles, can be a sign of a competent provider – but more importantly, you need to ensure there is support for the specific game(s) you want to host.
1. ShockByte – Tons of Game-Specific Server Hosting Plans & Server Locations
When it comes to game compatibility, ShockByte’s selection beats out most of the competition, featuring over 30 titles. Aside from all the usual hosted games, other popular options include CS: GO, Conan Exiles, and V Rising. Customizable maps on Garry’s Mod, CS: GO, and other select games are another bonus.
ShockByte is also a leader with regard to the number of server locations on offer. Besides it being one of the best providers located in Australia, you can also select from territories such as North America, Europe, Singapore, and Australia.
Instant setup and mod support are also supported in most plans. Other features include a server console with FTP support that integrates seamlessly with the website. You can complete a number of tasks here, including managing your servers and users directly. And you can adjust your RAM and CPU priority to your needs for each server instance.
When I contacted ShockByte via live chat, the support team was very responsive, friendly, and helpful. While this provider lacks dedicated server plans, the ShockByte team can dedicate a whole node to you should you need it.
Shockbyte Web Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthPriceDIRT (1 GB RAM)Unlimited NVMe SSDunlimited$2.50More detailsSAND (2 GB RAM)Unlimited NVMe SSDunlimited$5.00More detailsGOLD (5 GB RAM)Unlimited NVMe SSDunlimited$12.50More detailsREDSTONE (6 GB RAM)Unlimited NVMe SSDunlimited$15.00More detailsDIAMOND (7 GB RAM)Unlimited NVMe SSDunlimited$17.50More detailsEMERALD (8 GB RAM)Unlimited NVMe SSDunlimited$20.00More detailsOBSIDIAN (9 GB RAM)Unlimited NVMe SSDunlimited$22.50More detailsSPARTAN (10 GB RAM)Unlimited NVMe SSDunlimited$25.00More detailsZEUS (12 GB RAM)Unlimited NVMe SSDunlimited$30.00More detailsTITAN (16 GB RAM)Unlimited NVMe SSDunlimited$40.00More detailsMore details
- Automatic updates & backups. ShockByte handles updates and backups for you, which you can set up and automate via the provided control panel.
- 100% uptime. Outdoing the industry-standard 99.9%, ShockByte aims for a 100% uptime rate to ensure your game doesn’t falter.
- Free subdomain. Though a free domain name isn’t included in your game server hosting plan, a free subdomain is, and you can create a custom subdomain name with the Subdomain Creator tool.
- Enjin & Tebex free trials. Enjoy access to Enjin for free for 45 days or Tebex Plus for 30 days with a Minecraft server. Use your subscription to access unique features and securely monetize your server.
|Hosting types||Shared cloud|
|Support||24/7 – Live chat, social media, contact form, and ticket|
|Security||DDoS protection and 2-factor authentication|
2. ScalaCube – Easy-to-Use, Customizable Game Servers & Free Plan Options
ScalaCube offers a comprehensive range of dedicated game servers for most top titles, including Valheim, Hytale, Rust, Bedrock, and of course, Minecraft. Notably, it also offers free game server hosting for some of these games. To set up a free server for supported titles, navigate to the bottom of the ScalaCube website and look under the “Minecraft Hosting” heading.
Free servers include an IP address with port, subdomain, and domain access only – not a dedicated IP. The catch? In order to maintain your free server, you’ll need to remember to renew it every two days. Otherwise, your entire server and all of its associated data will be deleted.
For most paid and free plans, ScalaCube offers servers in North America, Australia, Asia, the UK, and Europe. The setup process is super-easy, allowing you to select from various plans after choosing your server location.
When testing, I was most pleased with the variety of hosting plans on offer. Player slots range from around 10 to 300, depending on the selected game. The more slots you select, the less you pay per player. For example, if you buy a Valheim plan for 60 player slots or more, you can save up to 50% for additional slots compared to plans with fewer player slots.
Overall, I think that ScalaCube is one of the best gaming server hosting providers for beginner gamers who aren’t tech-savvy. It’s so easy to set up and manage a game server with ScalaCube’s control panel.
ScalaCube VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPriceMinecraft VPS 768 MB10 GB SSDunlimited3.4GHz768 MB$2.50More detailsMinecraft VPS 1.5G15 GB SSDunlimited3.4GHz1.5GB$5.00More detailsMinecraft VPS 3G30 GB SSDunlimited3.4GHz3GB$10.00More detailsMinecraft VPS 4.5G45 GB SSDunlimited2x3.4 GHz4.5G$13.00More detailsMinecraft VPS 6G60 GB SSDunlimited2x3.4 GHz6 GB$18.00More detailsMinecraft VPS 8G80 GB SSDunlimited3x3.4 GHz8GB$24.00More detailsMinecraft VPS 12G120 GB SSDunlimited3x3.4 GHz12 GB$36.00More detailsMinecraft VPS 16G160 GB SSDunlimited4x3.4 GHz16GB$48.00More detailsMinecraft VPS 32G320 GB SSDunlimited8x3.4 GHz32 GB$96.00More detailsMinecraft PE VPS 768 MB10 GB SSDunlimited3.4 GHz768 MB$2.50More detailsMinecraft PE VPS 4.5G45 GB SSDunlimited3.4 GHz4.5 GB$13.00More detailsMinecraft PE VPS 8G80 GB SSDunlimited3x3.4 GHz8 GB$24.00More detailsMinecraft PE VPS 32G320 GB SSDunlimited8x3.4 GHz32 GB$96.00More detailsMore details
- Instant server setup. ScalaCube makes hosting easy for you via its in-house control panel, where you can customize important features and settings directly.
- SSD storage. Expect faster start-up, loading, and runtime speeds thanks to SSD storage on most of ScalaCube’s plans.
- 99% uptime. The host aims to keep your game up and running smoothly, guaranteeing a 99% uptime rate across most titles, and 99.9% for Minecraft. If downtime for a period of 24 hours or more does occur, you are due compensation at double your subscription rate for the period in the form of extended services.
- Official mods and support. Expect official mods from ARK, including Steam and Epic Games support. Plus, you’ll get mod and plugin support for various other game titles.
|Hosting types||VPS and dedicated|
|Support||24/7 – live chat and ticket|
|Security||DDoS protection with firewall|
3. Hostinger – Affordable-Yet-Powerful Gaming VPSs With a Proprietary Game PanelHostinger offers a variety of powerful VPS hosting plans for all budgets – which should, theoretically, be able to run any game. For me, though, its best feature is the in-house Hostinger Game Panel control panel – through which you can add and customize your servers. Here, you can choose from various popular titles, including CS: GO, Team Fortress 2, Rust, Rust Oxide, and of course, Minecraft, with a range of single-click installers for add-ons. Thanks to the helpful tutorials and guides on the Hostinger website, you should find it easy to figure out the game server setup process. It’s also cool that you can add a lot more titles than some other hosts allow – especially those only offering game-specific hosting plans. Hostinger’s VPS plans generally cost less than competitors’ dedicated and game-specific server plans. While they won’t be able to compete with dedicated servers, we found that they can deliver decent performance for the price. Not sure how many players each VPS plan can support? To calculate player slots, the rough equation is around ten players per 1 GB of RAM on your plan. While Hostinger doesn’t have servers located in Australia, it does host in South America, unlike many other hosts on this list. Choose from VPS servers in the UK, the US, the Netherlands, Lithuania, Singapore, and Brazil! Just bear in mind that this provider doesn’t offer dedicated server plans at present.
Hostinger VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPriceVPS 120 GB SSD1000 GB1 CORE1 GB$3.99More detailsVPS 240 GB SSD2000 GB2 CORES2 GB$5.99More detailsVPS 360 GB SSD3000 GB3 CORES3 GB$7.99More detailsVPS 480 GB SSD4000 GB4 CORES4 GB$10.99More detailsVPS 5120 GB SSD6000 GB6 CORES6 GB$23.95More detailsVPS 6160 GB SSD8000 GB8 CORES8 GB$38.99More detailsVPS 750 GB SSD10000 GB8 CORES10 GB$57.99More detailsVPS 8100 GB SSD12000 GB8 CORES12 GB$77.99More detailsMore details
A free domain name is included with some hosting plans from Hostinger
- Fully-customizable servers. Install your OS of choice, various plugins, web apps, game servers, and more. Your VPS plan gives you full root access – but you’ll need to know what you’re doing to take advantage of this.
- 30-day money-back guarantee. With Hostinger, you can get a full refund up to 30 days after signing up.
- IPV4 & IPV6 support. All Hostinger VPS plans support both protocols, making them compatible with various games and devices.
- WordPress integration. With Hostinger VPS plans, it’s easy to create and customize your own game or gaming website for free. Plus, install various WordPress plugins from Twitch, Steam, Discord, and the like.
|Support||24/7 – live chat and email|
|Security||DDoS protection, firewall, anti-malware software, BitNinja, and automated backups|
4. Scala Hosting – Customizable High-End Minecraft VPS Plans With Managed Services
This provider offers some of the most cost-effective VPS plans for hosting demanding websites and software, but when it comes to game servers, do note that Scala Hosting currently only specializes in Minecraft hosting.
Scala Hosting’s Minecraft-specific VPS plans start at 4 GB RAM and run up to 32 GB RAM. Since all Scala Hosting Minecraft plans are managed, you can get assistance from its support team to set up your server. Aside from managing backups and server maintenance, the team is able to assist you 24/7 with a variety of technical queries.
Scala Hosting VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPriceBuild #150 GB NVMe SSDUnmetered2 cores4 GB$29.95More detailsBuild #2100 GB NVMe SSDUnmetered4 cores8 GB$63.95More detailsBuild #3150 GB NVMe SSDUnmetered8 cores16 GB$121.95More detailsBuild #4200 GB NVMe SSDUnmetered12 cores24 GB$179.95More detailsSelf-Managed Custom BuildCustomCustomCustomCustom$20.00More detailsMore details
A free domain name is included with some hosting plans from Scala Hosting
- Low-capacity servers: Scala Hosting makes sure its machines are kept under 70% capacity. This should reduce the possibility of another busy Minecraft VPS on the same physical server slowing things down.
- NVMe SSD storage. Ultra-fast, non-volatile storage will speed up your fellow gamers’ data transfers and overall server performance.
- SShield security. Scala Hosting plans include SShield cybersecurity protection, which blocks 99.8% of DDoS attacks and keeps you updated on suspicious activity.
- Free domain name & dedicated IP address. All Scala Hosting Minecraft plans come with a free domain name and a dedicated IP address. Many game server hosting plans only include a free subdomain name.
|Hosting types||Managed VPS|
|Support||24/7 – live chat and email|
|Security||Automated backups and 2FA; SShield provides DDoS, malware, and spam protection|
5. Apex Hosting – Powerful Game Servers in Niche LocationsSimilar to ScalaCube and Shockbyte, Apex Hosting is a provider dedicated to offering game-specific server plans. Besides favorites like Minecraft, ARK, and Valheim, Apex Hosting also hosts some unique titles, such as Arma 3, Starbound, and Leap. Apex Hosting offers game servers in a few less-served countries, such as Israel, Japan, and Turkey, in addition to many other locations in North America, Europe, and Asia. You can even ping individual servers to isolate which location is best for you, and research the exact hardware used at each server location directly on the Apex Hosting website. What also sets this provider apart is its EX Series of dedicated servers, which offer pumped-up specs and performance. Starting at 16 GB RAM, each comes with a free dedicated IP address – a feature that is unfortunately not included with the regular plans. Also, while you do get a free subdomain name with Apex Hosting’s plans, you don’t get a free domain name with any of them. You can’t register a domain name directly with Apex Hosting, either.
Apex Hosting Web Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthPrice1 GB RAMunlimitedunlimited$4.49More details2 GB RAMunlimitedunlimited$7.49More details3 GB RAMunlimitedunlimited$11.24More details4 GB RAMunlimitedunlimited$14.99More details5 GB RAMunlimitedunlimited$18.74More details6 GB RAMunlimitedunlimited$22.49More details8 GB RAMunlimitedunlimited$29.99More details10 GB RAMunlimitedunlimited$37.49More details15 GB RAMunlimitedunlimited$79.99More detailsMore details
- Instant server deployment. As all of Apex Hosting’s hosting plans are game-specific, they’re deployed in around 5 minutes via the provided control panel.
- Minecraft: Education Edition hosting. Learn to code with your classmates and friends. Apex Hosting’s Minecraft: Education Edition game server hosting plans make learning easy and affordable.
- Paid add-ons. With Apex Hosting, you can add on extra services – such as premium support, permissions setup, plugin installation, dedicated IPs, and modpack creation – as needed.
- Custom control panel. The custom Multicraft control panel allows you to set up and edit game servers for Minecraft and all other games it supports quickly and easily.
|Hosting types||VPS and dedicated|
|Support||24/7 – Live chat, ticket, and Discord|
|Security||DDoS protection (up to 300 Gbps), NoCheatPlus plugin, whitelist, and 2FA|
6. Kamatera – Fully-Adjustable Cloud VPSs With a 30-Day Free TrialIf you’re an expert at managing your own game server, then you probably don’t need a game-specific plan. Nor should you have to pay for all the extra support and features. Kamatera is one of my top bare-bones hosting picks, offering low-cost cloud VPS plans you can deploy instantly. You can customize your plan down to the choice of OS; the amount of RAM, storage, and monthly bandwidth; and the exact number of processor cores and dedicated IP addresses. Kamatera’s hosting plans are contract-free, allowing you to scale features and specs quickly. However, Kamatera offers no game panel integration or game-specific support. That said, you can add managed support to all of its plans, including application and security software installation, though this is unlikely to include help with game software. In any case, when I contacted the Kamatera team via live chat, they were helpful and speedy to reply. You can even try out Kamatera for free, thanks to its 30-day free trial. Overall, it offers one of the most customizable hosting services in the industry for a reasonable price, but you’ll need expertise with VPS maintenance to get the best value.
Kamatera VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPriceExpress 1 vCPU - Linux CentOS 830GB 5TB1 vCPU1GB$4.00More detailsExpress 1 vCPU - Windows Server 201930GB 5TB1 vCPU1GB$23.00More detailsExpress 2 vCPU - Linux CentOS 830GB5TB2 vCPU2GB$12.00More detailsExpress 2 vCPU - Windows Server 201930GB5TB2 vCPU2GB$29.00More detailsExpress 4 vCPU - Linux CentOS 850GB5 TB4 vCPU4GB$28.00More detailsExpress 4 vCPU - Windows Server 201950GB5TB4 vCPU4GB$45.00More detailsExpress Fully Managed 1 vCPU20GB5TB1 vCPU1GB$54.00More detailsExpress Fully Managed 2 vCPU50GB5TB2 vCPU2GB$64.00More detailsExpress Fully Managed 4 vCPU100GB5TB4 vCPU4GB$82.00More detailsExpress Fully Managed 8 vCPU250GB5TB8v vCPU8GB$133.00More detailsMore details
- Free bandwidth: All server instances come with a generous 5TB of free monthly bandwidth.
- Easy-to-set-up preset plans. Thanks to Kamatera’s cloud infrastructure, you can set up your plan easily by picking from various preset options, and adjust it whenever you want.
- Plesk & cPanel access. Though Kamatera hosting plans don’t include a dedicated game panel, they do provide the option of two popular standard hosting control panels.
- Global data centers. Kamatera has servers located across the globe, with multiple locations in the US and Europe.
|Hosting types||Cloud VPS|
|Support||24/7 – live chat, email, and phone|
|Security||Firewall management, DDoS protection, anti-virus, and cloud firewall|
7. MelonCube – A Decent Variety of Game Server Hosting PlansIn addition to Minecraft game servers, MelonCube offers a number of VPS and dedicated plans suitable for almost any online multiplayer game. Plus, its team has expertise in hosting game servers – which is more than you can say about some standard hosting competitors. As a bonus, DDoS protection, dedicated IP addresses, and various other game-friendly features also come standard with all of its plans. Another bonus is the affordability and range of its Minecraft and VPS plans. From basic 1 GB RAM plans up to powerful 48 GB RAM options, you’ll find enough choices to suit your particular needs.
MelonCube Web Hosting
Plan NameStoragePricePlan NameStoragePriceZombie 1GB RAMunlimited$3.00More detailsPigman 3GB RAMunlimited$9.00More detailsSPIDER 4 GB RAMunlimited$12.00More detailsWITCH 6GB RAMunlimited$18.00More detailsGHAST 7GB RAMunlimited$21.00More detailsWITHER 9GB RAMunlimited$27.00More detailsDRAGON 10 GB RAMunlimited$30.00More detailsMC-12 (12 GB RAM)unlimited$36.00More detailsMC-22 (22 GB)unlimited$66.00More detailsMC-48 (48 GB)unlimited$144.00More detailsMore details
- Choice of Pterodactyl & Multicraft game consoles. Host Minecraft directly on Multicraft – or other games via the open-source Pterodactyl console.
- Free dedicated IP address. Each VPS or dedicated server includes a free dedicated IP address. You can also add additional IP addresses for a fee.
- 100% uptime. If MelonCube’s guarantee of 100% uptime is not met, you could be entitled to compensation of up to 50% of the cost of your monthly plan should the servers go down through no fault of your own.
- No overselling nodes. MelonCube guarantees its customers the best performance by limiting users on each node, ensuring you have full access to all the resources you’ve paid for.
|Hosting types||VPS and dedicated|
|Support||24/7 – ticket|
|Security||DDoS protection (up to 480 Gbps), pre-firewall, firewall, and malware protection|
Which Is theBest Game Server Hosting Provider for You?Not every hosting company can fully support customers who wish to host game servers. Choosing the wrong host could result in wasted time and money, as the plan you choose may not support your game. Even worse, the host’s customer support team may not be knowledgeable enough to help you out! All of the providers mentioned above are the best I’ve found for hosting game servers, according to our tests. If you need a little more help choosing the best one for you, here are my top picks. ShockByte offers one of the largest game title selections alongside a very wide selection of server locations. As such, it’s my top pick. ScalaCube’s plans are easy to set up and easy to use – in some cases, for free! I recommend it for beginners to game server hosting. Cost is also a consideration when hosting game servers. Luckily, Hostinger’s affordable VPS plans offer great value for money. You can save a little on powerful hosting, and get access to its handy in-house Game Panel.
Here’s a quick recap of each of the best gaming server hosting providers – and why I felt that each made the cut!
|Standout feature||SSD storage?||More games than Minecraft?||Starting price|
|ShockByte||Tons of titles in a lot of major locations||✔||✔||$2.50|
|ScalaCube||Free & paid, good for beginners||✔||✔||$2.50|
|Hostinger||Affordable-yet-powerful VPS gaming plans||✔||✔||$3.99|
|Scala Hosting||High-performance, managed Minecraft hosting plans||✔||✘||$20.00|
|Apex Hosting||Powerful servers in niche locations||✔||✔||$4.49|
|Kamatera||Low-cost bare-bones cloud VPS plans for pros||✔||✔||$4.00|
|MelonCube||Minecraft-only VPS and dedicated server plans||✔||✘||$3.00|