Too busy for a full read? Here is the BEST Reseller Web Hosting Provider for 2020
GoDaddy – Domain names for your customers, website builder packages, and business emails. Click here for the best GoDaddy deals.
Looking to boost your income? Whether you already pay for your own hosting or not, reseller hosting is an opportunity to make passive income with just a little effort.
Many web hosts offer reseller hosting, but you’ll find that they differ wildly in what they provide. Some allow you to customize your own packages, while others give you pre-set plans that you can’t change much. Some focus on performance, while others focus on reliability and support.
The reseller package you choose affects the amount of work you’ll have to do, too. For instance, some hosts provide your customers with technical support, while others expect you to provide it yourself. Additionally, some (but not all) hosting companies give you access to ‘white-label’ software to manage your client accounts and billing procedures (this is called WHMCS).
There are plenty of reseller hosting options to choose from, but which one is going to give you the best income stream? We’ve done the research to give you an in-depth look at the five best reseller hosting companies and what they have to offer.
What We Look For in the Best Reseller Hosting Providers
We examined dozens of reseller hosting companies to give you our honest opinion on the features that matter most. This is what we were looking for:
- Big discounts. Not all reseller plans offer the same kind of profit margins. We bring you the best the industry has to offer.
- Great performance. Speed and reliability that won’t let you (or your customers) down.
- Plenty of space. You don’t want space limitations holding your business back or forcing you to upgrade to a more expensive plan sooner than expected.
- Customization options. The best hosts let you set up your reseller hosting however you want, and sell the web space under your own brand.
- Customer service options. Some hosts will provide your customers with technical support, saving you a lot of time and headaches.
- Price and contract length. When you’re just starting out, you don’t want to face huge initial costs or be tied down with long contracts.
1. GoDaddy – The Best for Beginners
The GoDaddy reseller program gives you everything you need to start your reseller hosting business, including your own storefront. This makes it perfect for newbies to reseller hosting.
There are only two different options: you can try either Basic (for up to 25 customers) or jump straight in with Pro (unlimited customers).
You should be aware, however, that the GoDaddy reseller service is more of a turnkey program in which you sell GoDaddy’s pre-packaged products for a commission. As your business grows, you may find this system restrictive, compared to other hosts that give you complete control.
GoDaddy offers pre-built e-commerce storefronts that you can customize with your own branding. The storefront includes credit card processing through GoDaddy’s payment system, so you won’t need to set up your own merchant account, either.
When it comes to customizing your storefront, GoDaddy gives you a range of guides to help you make the best first impression on your customers. In fact, it’s clear that GoDaddy has designed it so that getting started with reseller hosting is a relatively painless process.
With the GoDaddy reseller program, you can set your own profit margins (how much you charge the end-user), so you can control how much money you make from each product you sell.
GoDaddy’s prices are fairly low, making reseller hosting an attractive side hustle. With the Basic reseller plan, you get a 20% discount on GoDaddy’s regular prices, and on the Pro reseller plan you get a huge 40% discount.
But by far one of the best things about GoDaddy is that it offers white-label customer support as well. This means that when your customers need technical support, GoDaddy will answer the phone (or email) under your brand name.
To learn more about GoDaddy, read our in-depth review.
- In addition to the customizable e-commerce storefronts, there’s also a WordPress plugin. You can use the power of WordPress to sell your hosting plans, and even install your GoDaddy storefront directly on your existing WordPress website.
- With the GoDaddy reseller program, you can offer your customers so much more than just web space. You can sell domain names, business email, website builder packages, SSL certificates, and so on.
- GoDaddy gives you handy tools to market your products. You can run promotions (such as discount sales) directly in your store, or via advertising platforms, for however long you’d like.
- Managing customer accounts is simple: you can even purchase and manage add-on products on behalf of your customers. This also allows you to offer a more managed hosting solution at a higher price point.
- You can choose to use upselling on your customers during your checkout process. GoDaddy handles all the extra purchases for you at no additional cost. What’s more, when customers contact email or phone support, GoDaddy’s support agents will upsell for you (where appropriate).
- While you can customize your storefront and set your own prices, GoDaddy doesn’t give you much flexibility when it comes to dividing up your resources. Essentially, you sell the hosting plans (storage space, bandwidth) that GoDaddy offers. Creating custom plans is complex and available through API only.
- With the Basic plan, you only get a 20% discount — which limits your profit margins. To benefit from bigger discounts, you’d need the Pro plan, which almost doubles your initial costs for a 12-month term.
- Email is not free with GoDaddy, while other providers offer it as standard.
|Number of Customers||25 / Unlimited|
|Create Custom Plans||✖|
|Minimum Term||12 months|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days|
2. A2 Hosting – The Best for Performance
If you’re looking to brand yourself as a host that offers top-notch shared hosting performance, A2 Hosting may have just what you need. All of its packages are built for speed, with SSD storage and Cloudflare CDN to ensure your customers get fast loading times with their websites.
While most reseller hosting plans are Linux-only, A2 Hosting offers Windows plans as well. That’s especially beneficial if you’re planning on selling to businesses that mainly use Microsoft-based IT systems.
There are four packages on offer for both Windows and Linux servers. The Windows options are slightly more expensive than the Linux options, however.
Except for the Bronze plan, all plans give you WHMCS Starter for free. This is a fully-featured system for managing your web hosting business, including automated billing, customer account setup, and much more.
To learn more about A2 Hosting, read our in-depth review.
- You’ll get a free Enom Domain Reseller Account, which saves you the $50 enrollment fee that Enom normally charges to start reselling domains.
- You can request custom nameservers and a dedicated IP address at no extra cost, adding credibility to your brand. All the end-user interfaces are also white-labeled, of course.
- The plans come with SSL certificates, email, high levels of security (including reinforced DDoS protection), and 24/7 support.
- For an additional monthly fee, you can offer your customers the Turbo Server option. This delivers speeds up to 20x faster than with typical shared hosting.
- 30-day money-back guarantee AND an “anytime money-back guarantee” that’ll refund you for the unused portion of your service contract, so you can pull out later on if you decide reseller hosting isn’t for you.
- There is no unlimited plan that allows you to have as many customers as you like.
- The entry-level Bronze plan offers a mere 30GB storage split across 40 client accounts, meaning you won’t be able to offer much to your customers. You’ll also have to pay extra for WHMCS, and unless you do, you may be in for a lot of tedious, repetitive work.
- Not as beginner-friendly as other reseller hosting providers on our list: there are no bundled tools to help you get started, and the Reseller Quick Start Guide in the support section is pretty basic.
|Number of Customers||Up to 100|
|Create Custom Plans||✓|
|Free WHMCS||✓ (except Bronze plan)|
|Minimum Term||One month|
|Money-back Guarantee||30 days (full), any time after that (prorated)|
3. HostGator – The Best for Unlimited Domains
Since HostGator’s reseller plans all allow unlimited domains, you can have as many customers as you want. Each package also has an impressive array of features you can offer your customers – so your web hosting business can compete with the best.
When you choose HostGator for your reseller hosting, there are lots of perks such as unlimited POP3 email accounts with IMAP support, unlimited MySQL databases, and unlimited FTP accounts. Disk space and bandwidth, however, are limited.
There are three different reseller plans to choose from: Aluminum, Copper, and Silver, which differ in the amount of disk space and bandwidth included.
All plans come with the WHMCS client management software, though HostGator doesn’t make it clear what kind of license you’ll get.
To learn more about HostGator, read our in-depth review.
- HostGator offers free weekly off-site backups so you can be sure that your customers’ websites can be restored if disaster strikes.
- With a free ResellerClub account, you can sell and manage domains, and integrate with WHMCS.
- The comprehensive Reseller Startup Guide to take you step-by-step through the process of setting up your reseller business with HostGator.
- As your business grows, you get easy scalability with hassle-free upgrades.
- You can offer your customers over 400 video tutorials – and brand them with your own business name.
- There’s an extra charge if you want HostGator to install and configure WHMCS for you, but it’s free if you handle the process yourself.
- Listed prices require a 36-month commitment.
- The disk space and bandwidth limits here are lower than others on this list, considering HostGator’s higher starting price points.
|Number of Customers||Unlimited|
|Create Custom Plans||✓|
|Minimum Term||One month|
|Money-back Guarantee||45 days|
4. InMotion Hosting – The Best for Shared and VPS Hosting
Unlike the other providers on our list, InMotion Hosting offers both standard (shared) reseller hosting and VPS reseller hosting. Fast and reliable, InMotion’s packages give you full control of your reseller business and offer a huge list of essential features including multi-layer defense against DDoS attacks and malware.
What sets InMotion Hosting apart is its VPS reseller hosting optimized for e-commerce. With VPS reseller hosting, you can offer your customers higher levels of reliability, root access, and fully-configurable backups.
InMotion Hosting also offers a Reseller Advantage add-on service that allows you to get into the domain reseller business easily. This is essentially a turnkey automation solution that’ll set up WHMCS, Enom, and a premium SSL certificate for you. You’ll have a ready-made storefront in only 48 hours, so you can get started selling domains and hosting without much effort.
InMotion Hosting packs a lot of extras into its packages. WHMCS billing automation and cPanel are included in all packages, as are unlimited domains, private nameservers, and automatic backups every 24-36 hours.
To learn more about InMotion Hosting, read our in-depth review.
- InMotion Hosting offers expert website transfer services, so you can get your customers’ websites migrated to your hosting space without any hassle. Up to 50 free cPanel account transfers are available.
- Higher-tier plans include two free hours of InMotion’s Launch Assist service (worth $99). This gives you specialized support to help you resolve any technical issues as you’re getting your hosting business up and running.
- Security is a high priority for InMotion Hosting. All reseller packages include Corero DDoS protection and Patchman malware detection, which monitors your hosting space for vulnerabilities and ensures you and your customers are protected at all times.
- VPS reseller packages come with free server management, so the software infrastructure is kept secure and updated at all times.
- You get at least one free dedicated IP address (five with the highest-tier plan), so you can truly brand your hosting business as your own by separating your IP address from the shared server.
- To offer your users SSL, you have to create specific plans that include the AutoSSL certificate. These are not added automatically, so if you forget to add it, your customers won’t get the free SSL certificate.
- E-commerce optimization not available on shared plans.
- InMotion Hosting won’t provide support directly to your customers, although you have access to 24/7 phone, live chat, and email support yourself.
|Number of Customers||Unlimited|
|Create Custom Plans||✓|
|Minimum Term||One month|
|Money-back Guarantee||90 days|
5. SiteGround – Best for an Ultra-Reliable Reseller Hosting Business
SiteGround adopts a rather unusual approach to reseller hosting. But with its 99.99% uptime guarantee, you can offer your customers a reliable hosting service with unlimited data transfer and fast loading speeds.
With SiteGround, you purchase credits (called Reseller Credits) to build your reseller hosting business.
Each credit gives you an account with a single year of hosting. You control what (and how) your customers pay for the hosting you provide, but it’s worth noting that since each credit is for a year’s hosting, you’ll need to tie your customers down with a 12-month contract at minimum.
Bandwidth is unmetered, but you can’t create custom plans with different amounts of storage (10GB is the automatic allocation). Each credit gives your customers unlimited email accounts, daily backups, and free automatic SSL certificates.
To learn more about SiteGround, read our in-depth review.
- Because the credits you buy never expire, you don’t have to worry about a ticking clock or a recurring monthly fee that’ll keep draining your account even when you don’t have any customers.
- Once you’ve used up the initial five credits, you can buy credits one at a time – or take advantage of the bulk discounts SiteGround offers.
- Managing your reseller account is simple: you can buy more credits, activate your customers’ accounts, and send your customers their website details all from SiteGround’s easy management system.
- Guarantee your customers exceptional speeds with the included CDN and SuperCacher. They’ll also have four different server locations to choose from.
- SiteGround’s security measures are top-class, protecting you and your customers from downtime, spam, hacks and data loss.
- Since SiteGround doesn’t offer WHMCS with its Reseller accounts, you’ll have to perform certain basic tasks manually — like activating customer accounts, renewing their billing cycles, and so on.
- Getting started with SiteGround’s reseller program requires an upfront payment for five credits, whether or not you have five customers to sell to. You also have no control over the allocation of web space, as each credit gives your customers 10GB of space.
- Since you can’t divide the resources between however many customers you’d like, SiteGround’s one-account-per-credit system is more expensive.
|Number of Customers||Unlimited (depends on how many credits you buy)|
|Create Custom Plans||✖|
|Minimum Term||Five credits minimum; each credit gives you one year of hosting.|
|Money-back Guarantee||30 days|
Reap the Rewards of Reseller Hosting
Reseller hosting gives you the opportunity to offer your customers something that your competitors may not provide. But when choosing a reseller platform, you need to consider how much time you have to dedicate to reselling, since this will determine what features are most important to you.
Each of the reseller hosting providers on our list have advantages and disadvantages. The best provider for you will depend on what you want to achieve with your reseller hosting business – and what services you already offer your customers. Use our comparison chart as a quick reference to help you choose.
|Vendor||Standout Feature||Initial Cost||Marketing Tools||White Label Tech Support||Custom Plans||Money-Back Guarantee|
|GoDaddy||E-commerce storefronts and WP plugin to set up your reseller business quickly||$$$||✓||✓||✖||30 days|
|A2 Hosting||Turbo Server; option of either Windows or Linux hosting||$||✖||✖||✓||30 days (full) and anytime (prorated for unused portion of services)|
|HostGator||Unlimited customer accounts||$$||✖||✖||✓||45 days|
|InMotion Hosting||VPS reseller hosting||$$||✖||✖||✓||90 days (for contracts six months or longer)|
|SiteGround||99.99% uptime||$$$||✖||✖||✖||30 days|