Inside this Article
What We Look For in the Best Web Hosting for PHP MySQL1. InterServer – Unlimited Resources for Your Site2. FastComet – Best Global Reach for a PHP MySQL Host3. Hostinger – Ease of Use at a Low Price4. A2 Hosting – Top Performance and Reliability for a PHP MySQL Site5. SiteGround – PHP MySQL Basics at the Cheapest Price6. Hostwinds – Best Business Hosting Features7. InMotion Hosting – Supports The Most PHP VersionsWhich PHP MySQL Host Is for You?FAQ
Short on Time? These are the best web hosts for PHP MySQL in 2023:
- InterServer – Unlimited resources for PHP MySQL hosting and solid value for your money
- FastComet – Best global reach with advanced PHP caching
- Hostinger – Plenty of PHP MySQL hosting options and great performance at a low cost
What We Look For in the Best Web Hosting for PHP MySQLSo what does it take to be one of the best PHP MySQL web hosts? Here’s what I looked for:
- Up-to-date PHP versions. Not all web hosts support the latest version of PHP, which is currently version [8.0] – but they should. WordPress itself recommends you use version 7.4 or later.
- Number of MySQL databases. If you have just one site and one CMS installed, you’ll only need one database.But if you have multiple sites or stores, you’ll need more. While unlimited databases may be overkill, at least you know you’ll be covered.
- Sufficient resources and scalability. The size and complexity of your site dictate the resources you need. If your business grows or your site visits surge, you’ll want a flexible host that allows you to increase storage, CPU, RAM, and bandwidth as needed.
- SSH and FTP access. If you want more control and don’t want to fully rely on your control panel interface, SSH and FTP access let you log directly into your server, upload your content, and transmit data.
- Advanced security and SSL. Surprisingly, not all web hosts provide adequate levels of security, which can leave your site vulnerable to malware and other attacks. I looked for web hosts that are equipped with first-rate security and offer free SSL.
- phpMyAdmin. All the hosts on my list offer phpMyAdmin, which is an easy-to-use tool to manage your MySQL database. It lets you create, import, and export MySQL database tables, and from here you can also manage tables, indexes, permissions, and more.
Pro tip: If you’re interested in PHP MySQL hosting for WordPress, you might want to check out our comprehensive guide on the cheapest yet most reliable WordPress hosts for your website.
InterServer Web Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthFree SSLNumber of SitesPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthFree SSLNumber of SitesPriceSTANDARD WEB HOSTINGUnlimited SSDunlimited+unlimited$2.50More detailsWINDOWS ASP.NETunlimitedunlimited+25$8.00More detailsMore details
- Enable multiple PHP versions. InterServer merges cPanel with DirectAdmin to give you a Linux-based control panel that, among other things, supports legacy PHP versions alongside the latest versions.
- InterShield security. The proprietary InterShield security solution gives you advanced protection against viruses and web attacks, and includes a machine learning firewall and in-house malware database.
- Inter-Insurance. If something does go wrong with your account, InterServer will clean up your compromised, hacked, or exploited account, get you back online, and prevent future problems.
- Free website migration. With a 24/7 managed website migration service, InterServer’s experts will transfer your website from your old host with little to no downtime.
|PHP versions supported||5.5, 5.6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.0|
2. FastComet – Best Global Reach for a PHP MySQL HostFastComet brings you several budget-friendly plans that have plenty of resources for PHP MySQL hosting. And it has 11 data centers across the globe, so your target audience will get top speed and performance no matter where they are in the world. All FastComet plans offer support for PHP 5.6 through 8.0, unlimited MySQL databases, and unlimited FTP accounts. Compared to InterServer, shared hosting plans have limited resources: less SSD storage (up to 35GB), less bandwidth (fair usage, with a maximum cap around 100,000 monthly visits), and number of hosted websites (just one on the entry-level plan). If the FastCloud shared hosting resource caps won’t be enough to run your busy sites or stores, you may want to consider FastComet’s fully managed Cloud VPS Hosting or Dedicated CPU Servers with advanced optimization and security. These plans will give you more dedicated resources, although you’ll need a bigger budget.
FastComet Web Hosting
- FTP Manager. If your site requires several levels of administrators, FastComet’s easy-to-use FTP Manager can help you set up accounts, configure FTP directories, set read/write permissions, and terminate FTP connections.
- PHP caching. FastComet allows Alternative PHP Caching (APC), which speeds up page loading by caching PHP objects from your site instead of the whole page. It also offers OPcache, which is another caching extension designed specifically for PHP.
- Apache Mod_Lsapi. Apache Mod_Lsapi uses LiteSpeed technology to give PHP pages higher levels of performance and stability while using less memory.
- BitNinja Server Security. In addition to security measures like firewalls, two-factor authentication, and daily backups, FastComet protects its servers by using BitNinja to fight off automated attacks like XSS, DDos, malware, brute force, and more.
|PHP versions supported||5.6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.0|
3. Hostinger – Ease of Use at a Low PriceHostinger is the one of the cheapest PHP MySQL hosting providers on my list, especially when you sign up to one of its long-term plans, but that doesn’t mean you sacrifice quality. While it may not include the extensive features others do, Hostinger doesn’t skimp on performance or usability. That said, Hostinger is number three on my PHP MySQL list because in addition to including fewer features, its entry-level plans give you fewer resources, MySQL databases, and FTP accounts than InterServer and FastComet. And you only get SSH access with higher-priced plans. Still, Hostinger is one of the top options for PHP MySQL hosting, and if your budget is flexible, you’ll get more with advanced plans. It has decently-priced specialized hosting plans for WordPress, Cloud, and VPS that provide more resources. These plans even provide cPanel Hosting if you’d rather not use Hostinger’s custom control panel.
Hostinger Web Hosting
A free domain name is included with some hosting plans from Hostinger
- hPanel. An easy-to-use, custom control panel that includes all the basic features you need (and would find with cPanel), like a one-click Auto Installer, email manager, and a website builder, as well as easy access to phpMyAdmin and MySQL databases.
- LiteSpeed Cache for WordPress. An acceleration plugin that caches at the server level and has a number of optimization features, LiteSpeed Cache is available forWordPress Multisite and is compatible with other popular plugins like WooCommerce, bbPress, and Yoast SEO.
- FTP over SSL (SFTP). With the mid-range Hostinger Premium Shared Hosting plan, your FTP is protected by an SSL certificate for better security than what you’d get with regular FTP.
- Free domain. Not all web hosts provide you with a free domain. Hostinger does – but only with its mid- to high-tier plans, and only for one year.
|PHP versions supported||5.2 to 8.0|
|MySQL databases||2 to Unlimited|
|FTP accounts||1 to Unlimited|
|SSH access||Yes, on higher-priced plans|
When we tested A2 Hosting, the speed and reliability we saw for the price was outstanding. It has faster speeds than most other shared hosting providers, and my colleague got 100% uptime over a two-month period. A2 Hosting gives you 100GB of SSD storage with its entry-level Startup plan, which is more than you get with any FastComet shared web hosting plan. It also includes unlimited data transfer. Even with higher-tier plans that offer optimized Litespeed Cache servers, pricing is still on the low end while performance remains consistent. A2 Hosting’s PHP Web Hosting is optimized for applications that use MySQL databases like WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla. These plans also offer multi-version support for stability and security. However, the cheapest plan does limit your MySQL databases to 5 and some of its best caching functionalities are not available.
A2 Hosting Web Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesPriceStartup100 GB SSD700 MB1$2.99More detailsDriveUnlimited SSD1 GBunlimited$5.99More detailsTurbo BoostUnlimited NVMe2 GBunlimited$6.99More detailsTurbo MaxUnlimited NVMe4 GBunlimited$14.99More detailsMore details
- A2 Optimized Site Accelerator. Available on shared servers, A2 Optimized is a caching plugin that gives you faster speeds and better performance by using Turbo Cache, APC/OPcache, and Memcache. All these work together to speed up the loading times for PHP and MySQL.
- Website staging. A2 Hosting lets you easily create a clone of your site so you can test updates, plugins, and themes before you make the changes live.
- Managed WordPress hosting with Jetpack personal license. Design, grow, and secure your site with Jetpack, which offers audience stats, SEO optimization, site acceleration, automatic daily backups, brute force attack protection, malware scanning, and more.
- Perpetual Security. A2 Hosting takes security seriously, and all plans come equipped with KernelCare, reinforced DDos protection, dual web hosting firewall, brute force defense, auto-healing, virus scanning, server hardening, and free HackScan to block hacks before they happen.
|PHP versions supported||5.6, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.0|
|MySQL databases||5 to Unlimited|
5. SiteGround – PHP MySQL Basics at the Cheapest PriceSiteGround is a good option if you’re on a budget and you only need the basics. Its shared hosting has the lowest prices on our list (with the exception of Hostinger), but aside from unlimited MySQL databases, FTP accounts, and unmetered bandwidth, it won’t wow you with resources. However, all plans come with free SSL, CDN, email, and SSH access. With managed hosting, SiteGround supports PHP version 7.4 only, but you can opt to use versions 7.3, 7.4, 8.0, or 8.1 if you’re willing to manage it yourself. The entry-level StartUp plan is very bare bones. SiteGround does offer a number of great developer-centric features on its shared hosting plans, but you have to upgrade to one of its higher-priced plans to get them.
SiteGround Web Hosting
A free domain name is included with some hosting plans from SiteGround
- Ultrafast PHP. With higher-priced shared hosting plans, you get an optimized PHP setup that increases overall site speed, including time to first byte, and helps your server process visits faster while using less memory.
- Site Tools control panel. SiteGround’s proprietary control panel looks good, is easy to use, and boasts all the basic functions you’ll need to run your site.
- Scalable on-demand backups. You can purchase single backups on the StartUp plan. With the higher-priced GrowBig and GoGeek plans, you can have up to 5 on-demand backups at any time as part of your plan.
- SiteGround Migrator WordPress plugin. Automigration from your old host to SiteGround takes just a couple of basic steps when you use SiteGround’s Migrator plugin. It’s a great tool for simple websites, but for more complex sites, you’ll want to use the paid migration service.
|PHP versions supported||7.4 (managed); 7.3, 7.4, 8.0, 8.1 (custom)|
6. Hostwinds – Best Business Hosting FeaturesHostwinds offers two types of shared hosting plans: the standard Shared Hosting and Business Hosting. Business Hosting is basically Shared Hosting but with more resources, and it offers higher PHP memory limits, fewer websites on the same server, and unlimited nightly backups. Hostwinds also has managed and unmanaged VPS, Cloud, and Dedicated Server hosting. Shared hosting plans feature Apache2 optimized web servers, CloudLinux, and cPanel. They give you unlimited bandwidth, SSD storage, MySQL databases, and FTP accounts, and range from one to unlimited hosted websites. But the most recent version of PHP supported is only 7.2 and there is no SSH access. To get SSH access and the option to install the most recent version of PHP, you’ll need a VPS, Cloud Server, or Dedicated Server plan. Hostwinds has tiers of support based on the type of plan you select. When it comes to PHP, the support team will perform PHP software upgrades, but it won’t fix bugs in your PHP script.
Hostwinds Web Hosting
A free domain name is included with some hosting plans from Hostwinds
- 24/7 website monitoring. Hostwinds monitors every aspect of its network and infrastructure all day, every day to make sure nothing goes wrong and, if it does, it will immediately resolve the issue. Personal website monitoring, however, is an add-on feature for basic Shared Hosting.
- Softaculous. The popular auto-installer is paired with cPanel to give you one-click installs for hundreds of web applications like WordPress and Joomla.
- LiteSpeed web servers. All Business Hosting plans are on LiteSpeed web servers. The advanced technology helps your site’s content load extremely fast.
- Route-optimized networking. Another Business Hosting feature, this optimization tool makes sure your site loads quickly by ensuring the fastest network path is always selected.
|PHP versions supported||5.6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2|
7. InMotion Hosting – Supports The Most PHP VersionsInMotion Hosting gives you everything you need from a PHP MySQL hosting provider, including support for the latest versions of PHP. You also get SSH access, free SSL, 2 hosted websites, and up to 3 MySQL databases on the most basic In Motion Hosting Launch plan. Using cPanel, it’s easy to manage your site from a central dashboard, and with the free Softaculous installer, you can set up your website in minutes. One thing that sets InMotion Hosting apart is its unlimited bandwidth. You also get a free domain or domain transfer with each plan, but shared hosting is limited to 100 websites and 200GB of SSD storage. If you need more, you’ll have to opt for In Motion Hosting’s VPS or Dedicated Server hosting. All in all, InMotion Hosting is a solid PHP MySQL host if you’re just getting started with PHP and MySQL and want the comfort of managed hosting and cPanel (in fact, most plans will automatically be upgraded to the latest, most stable version of PHP).
InMotion Hosting Web Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthFree SSLNumber of SitesPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthFree SSLNumber of SitesPriceCore100 GB unlimited+2$3.29More detailsLaunchUnlimited NVMe SSDsunlimited+unlimited$6.99More detailsPowerUnlimited NVMe SSDsunlimited+unlimited$6.99More detailsProUnlimited NVMe SSDsunlimited+unlimited$14.99More detailsMore details
- Multi-PHP Manager. A cPanel function, Multi-PHP Manager allows you to select the version of PHP you want for your website by simply picking from a drop-down list of supported PHP versions. You can also customize each PHP version for multiple sites.
- Free marketing tools. InMotion Hosting gives you $150 in online advertising credit, access to the BoldGrid Website Builder, professional email address leads, and a variety of statistics to help inform your marketing choices.
- UltraStack caching. InMotion Hosting utilizes a proprietary caching system called UltraStack to enhance performance. UltraStack leverages PHP to cache web content, eliminating the need for your site to load the same code for every visitor. This feature proves particularly beneficial for PHP-intensive applications such as WordPress.
- 90-day money-back guarantee. Most PHP MySQL hosts have money-back guarantees, but not nearly as long as InMotion Hosting. And cancellation is easy if you decide it’s not the host for you.
|PHP versions supported||5.5, 5.6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.0|
|MySQL databases||3 to Unlimited|
Which PHP MySQL Host Is for You?Because most web hosts support PHP and MySQL, finding the best one that has the features, functionality, and reliability that you need, while providing the best value, can be tough. If you want the web host with the most unlimited resources that supports the PHP versions recommended by WordPress, go with InterServer. It also happens to provide the best overall value. If you’re trying to reach a worldwide audience and want advanced caching tools and security, FastComet will give you the best global reach, with some of the most advanced website tech available. On the other hand, you’ll get the best speed and reliability with A2 Hosting. And Hostinger is quite simply one of our favorite web hosts. It doesn’t have as many features for PHP MySQL projects, but it’s number one on our list of the best web hosting providers in 2023 thanks to its affordable plans and superior performance. Here’s a quick side-by-side comparison of all the best options.
|Unlimited MySQL Databases||Latest PHP Version Supported||SSH Access||Starting Price|
|Hostinger||✔ on higher-priced plans||8.0||✔ on higher-priced plans||$1.99|
|A2 Hosting||✔ on higher-priced plans||8.0||✔||$2.99|
|InMotion Hosting||✔ on higher-priced plans||8.0||✔||$3.29|