Inside this Article
What We Look For in the Best Cloud Hosting Providers for WordPress1. Scala Hosting: Easy To Use, Affordable, and Fully Wordpress-Optimized2. Kinsta – Top Performance for Mission-Critical Projects3. A2 Hosting – Best for Unlimited Websites4. InMotion Hosting – Loaded with Features at a Low Price5. Nexcess – The Most Storage at a Premium Price6. SiteGround – Low-Price Option for Beginners7. WP Engine – Advanced Performance for Experienced Users8. Flywheel – Most User-FriendlyHow to Choose the Host That Suits Your Specific NeedsFAQ
Short On Time? These Are the Best WordPress Cloud Hosts for 2023:
- Scala Hosting – The best cloud hosting for beginners; great value for money.
- Kinsta – Easy to use, with unmatched speed and reliability.
- A2 Hosting – Unlimited websites and solid performance.
What We Look For in the Best Cloud Hosting Providers for WordPressEvery WordPress-specific hosting provider claims it gives you everything you need for your site, but that’s simply not true. Hosts on this list had to meet the following criteria:
- WordPress optimization. Just because a provider offers WordPress hosting doesn’t mean its performance and features are designed specifically for WordPress. I looked for hosts that have optimized and configured their services for the world’s most popular CMS.
- Speed and reliability. Top technology means top performance, which translates to faster loading speeds, better uptime, and happy site visitors.
- Scalability. If your business grows, and your visits increase, you want to be able to scale up to meet your resource needs.
- Included features. Some hosts give you more features for your money – specifically, more WordPress-centric features – and you want to be sure you get the best and most useful tools from the provider you choose.
- Ease of use. Even if a WordPress cloud hosting provider checks all the other boxes, finding a service that’s easy to use will ensure you aren’t wasting time trying to figure out its account management interface.
Scala Hosting makes the top of this list thanks to its fully-managed, WordPress-optimized cloud VPS plans. This is the ideal host if you’re just getting comfortable making the leap from shared hosting to cloud hosting, as the support team will help you every step of the way. Not only that – Scala Hosting offers a user-friendly and intuitive control panel to help you navigate through setup and maintenance with ease. Scala’s WordPress plans provide much more than just back-end fine-tuning for better WordPress performance (though to be fair, that’s not nothing). You also get a ton of extra features like free security scans, one-click installers for WordPress plugins, and specialized tools for search engine optimization (SEO). If you’re ever dissatisfied with your service, Scala offers an unconditional, “anytime” money-back guarantee. Which is how you know it has confidence in the quality of its service.
Scala Hosting WordPress Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesBackupPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesBackupPriceWP Mini10 GB NVMe SSDunlimited1+$2.95More detailsWP Start50 GB NVMe SSDunlimitedunlimited+$5.95More detailsWP Advanced100 GB NVMe SSDunlimitedunlimited+$9.95More detailsEntry WP Cloud50 GB NVMe SSDunlimitedunlimited+$14.95More detailsMore details
A free domain name is included with some hosting plans from Scala Hosting
- SPanel. Scala Hosting’s proprietary SPanel offers a more user-friendly and intuitive way to handle your hosting needs while retaining all the functionality of cPanel.
- LiteSpeed caching plugins. Scala Hosting includes a wide variety of LiteSpeed caching plugins to maximize your site’s performance.
- Free SEO analysis. You can get one $49 value SEO analysis at any point, giving you important information to help your website grow.
- Dedicated IP address. Scala gives you your own IP address for your site, which can do wonders for SEO listings and email deliverability.
|Control panel||SPanel (proprietary)|
|Number of sites||Unlimited|
|SSD storage space||50GB to 250GB|
Kinsta earns a high spot on this list thanks to its outstanding page loading speeds and reliability for WordPress sites. It’s also super-easy to use. Its control panel was designed for beginners, but it has all the tools a web developer requires. However, while it is beginner-friendly, Kinsta is not budget friendly; it’s one of the most expensive providers on our list. But if you can afford it, the performance alone is worth the extra coin. There are a wide range of Kinsta plans to pick from. The starter plan gives you 10GB of storage, and allows for one WordPress install with up to 25,000 monthly visits. From there, a range of plans will provide up to 150 WordPress installs, 250GB of storage, and 3,000,000 monthly visits. And every plan comes with the same base features, including daily backups.
Kinsta Web Hosting
Plan NameStorageFree SSLNumber of SitesPricePlan NameStorageFree SSLNumber of SitesPriceStarter10 GB SSD+1$35.00More detailsPro20 GB SSD+2$70.00More detailsBusiness 130 GB SSD+5$115.00More detailsBusiness 240 GB SSD+10$225.00More detailsBusiness 350 GB SSD+20$340.00More detailsBusiness 460 GB SSD+40$450.00More detailsEnterprise 1100 GB SSD+60$675.00More detailsEnterprise 2150 GB SSD+80$1000.00More detailsEnterprise 3200 GB SSD+120$1350.00More detailsEnterprise 4250 GB SSD+150$1650.00More detailsMore details
- 25 data center locations and a CDN. Part of what determines loading speed is how close your visitors are to your server, so Kinsta lets you choose from 25 Google Cloud Platform data centers around the world. And to ensure peak performance for visitors who don’t live near your chosen data center, it gives you access to KeyCDN’s content delivery network.
- MyKinsta control panel. The easy-to-use MyKinsta account dashboard is configured and optimized for WordPress. It tracks visitor stats, bandwidth usage, and response time, and gives you the ability to create, move, or stage sites.
- Autoscaling. Kinsta makes sure your website will be able to handle traffic surges by automatically scaling your CPU and RAM to meet the needs of your growing visitor base. This is one reason why its 99.9% uptime guarantee is more than just a guarantee – it’s a reality: my colleague recorded 100% uptime during his four-month test.
- “Hack fix” guarantee. Kinsta proactively updates its software and monitors its entire network to prevent malicious activity, but if your website somehow does get hacked, Kinsta guarantees a support engineer will restore it to perfect working condition.
|Control panel||MyKinsta (proprietary)|
|Number of sites||1 to 150|
|SSD storage space||10GB to 250GB|
|Bandwidth||25,000 to 2,500,000 monthly visits|
A2 Hosting’s managed WordPress hosting plans are built on cloud infrastructure and designed specifically for WordPress. Its LiteSpeed-based SwiftServer hosting platform enhances loading speeds, so it’s one of the fastest options for cloud-based WordPress hosting. A2 Hosting gives you outstanding features for hosting an unlimited number of websites, though you have to pay for its top plan, which only includes 40GB of SSD storage. If you don’t opt for unlimited websites, you have two other plans to pick from: the 1-Site or the 5-Site. You’ll get the same features regardless of which plan you choose, including free SSL and CDN compatibility, but the lower-tier plans come with fewer resources. Despite a limited number of plans and low storage capacities, A2 Hosting is one of the best in terms of features and performance.
A2 Hosting WordPress Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesBackupPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesBackupPriceRUN50 GB SSDunlimited1+$11.99More detailsJUMP250 GB SSDunlimitedunlimited+$18.99More detailsFLYUnlimited NVMeunlimitedunlimited+$28.99More detailsSELLUnlimited NVMeunlimitedunlimited+$41.99More detailsMore details
- Automatic WordPress updates. A2 Hosting won’t debug WordPress functionality or maintain third-party plugins, but it makes sure you always have the latest WordPress version.
- A2 Optimized Site Accelerator. A plugin that uses three different caching technologies for faster speeds: the proprietary Turbo Cache, OPcache, and Memcached.
- Single-click site staging. Easy-to-use staging lets you create a development copy of your site so you can test and update it before you take changes live.
- Free Jetpack personal license. Jetpack is a plugin with resources to help you design, grow, and secure your website. It includes Photon Unlimited Image CDN, automatic daily backups, brute force attack protection, malware scanning, and more, but this license only covers a single URL.
|Number of sites||1 to unlimited|
|SSD storage space||10GB to 40GB|
4. InMotion Hosting – Loaded with Features at a Low PriceInMotion Hosting has some of the lowest-priced managed WordPress hosting on our list, and it provides more features than most. All plans include unlimited email accounts, a free CDN, an advanced security suite, configurable caching, and more. One of the things that sets InMotion Hosting apart is its offer of unlimited bandwidth, so you never have to worry about your transfer rate. But despite unlimited bandwidth, it does cap your monthly visitors, starting at 20,000 with the entry-level plan. InMotion Hosting’s managed WordPress hosting is great for beginners, especially those in the US, as both its data centers are located there. There are four WordPress plans to pick from (and four VPS plans). Paying up for the higher-priced plans to get the best InMotion Hosting has to offer is still less expensive than a lower-tier plan with the most expensive hosts on our list.
InMotion Hosting WordPress Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesBackupPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesBackupPriceWP Core100 GB SSDunlimited2-$4.99More detailsWP LaunchUnlimited GB SSDunlimitedunlimited+$8.99More detailsWP PowerUnlimited GB SSDunlimitedunlimited+$8.99More detailsWP ProUnlimited GB SSDunlimitedunlimited+$16.99More detailsMore details
- Free drag-and-drop site builder. The BoldGrid WordPress-integrated site builder makes building your website simple. It looks good, is easy to use, has over 200 compatible templates, can integrate with WooCommerce, and includes SEO plugins.
- No plugin restrictions. Speaking of plugins, you can install absolutely any plugin you want. Not all hosts give you this much freedom.
- Marketing tools with every plan. One thing InMotion Hosting does that most others don’t is give you free marketing tools that include advertising credits and customer management tools.
- 90-day money-back guarantee. While most hosts offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, InMotion Hosting gives you 90 days to decide if it’s the host for you. And if you decide it isn’t, cancellation is easy.
|Number of sites||1 to 6 (or more on VPS plans)|
|SSD storage space||50GB to 200GB|
|Bandwidth||Unlimited; 20,000 to 300,000 monthly visits|
Nexcess is a great cloud hosting option for WordPress if you’re an intermediate-level user who isn’t afraid of tech with a learning curve. This is still managed hosting, so the heavy lifting is done for you, but Nexcess’ proprietary control panel isn’t as user-friendly as, say, Scala Hosting’s. With Nexcess you get a ton of features, fast speeds, 22 global data centers, a CDN, and a 100% uptime guarantee. A bold offer, and I have to say, we didn’t encounter any uptime issues in our tests. Nexcess offers plans to suit businesses big and small, whether you have a single site with steady traffic or you’re an enterprise goliath that needs a boatload of websites and resources. Its top plan offers 800GB of SSD storage, yet prices are lower across the board.
Nexcess WordPress Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesBackupPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesBackupPriceSpark15 GB2 TB1+$12.67More detailsMaker40 GB3 TB5+$52.67More detailsDesigner60 GB4 TB10+$72.67More detailsBuilder100 GB5 TB25+$99.33More detailsProducer300 GB5 TB50+$199.33More detailsExecutive500 GB10 TB100+$366.33More detailsMore details
- Stencil Sites. So you’ve set up a site you love with a custom WordPress theme, a hand-picked set of plugins, and a few other bells and whistles, and you wish there was a way to easily copy and use this infrastructure to build another site. Good news: that’s exactly what Stencil Sites lets you do.
- Extensive WordPress-specific updates and features. Nexcess offers managed WordPress core and plugin updates with visual regression testing to ensure they don’t break your site. It also offers a single-click site staging feature, a premium image compression plugin at no extra charge, and the Nexcess CDN.
- Automatic daily website backups. It may sound basic, but not all WordPress cloud hosting providers offer free backups. Nexcess will back up your site(s) daily and keep each backup for 30 days.
- Multiple user accounts. This is a fairly unique feature – you can give collaborators different levels of access to your hosting account.
|Control panel||Nexcess Client Portal (proprietary)|
|Number of sites||1 to 250|
|SSD storage space||15GB to 800GB|
|Bandwidth||2TB to 10TB|
6. SiteGround – Low-Price Option for BeginnersSiteGround is a good option if you’re on a budget, as it offers some of the lowest prices in the industry. It isn’t generous with resources, but all plans give you a solid set of features, including unmetered bandwidth, free SSL, CDN access, unlimited email accounts, a site migration plugin, and the usual managed updates for WordPress core and plugins. The entry-level StartUp plan gives you just one website, 10GB of storage, and 10,000 monthly visits, but the higher-priced plans are worth a look, as they allow for unlimited sites and offer more resources and features. If you’re looking for an entry-level plan, I’d consider InMotion Hosting instead, as SiteGround’s StartUp is pretty bare bones. Two things SiteGround has going for it are its platform’s ease of use and its NGINX web servers. I’ll go into more detail on some of the easy-to-use features below.
SiteGround WordPress Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesBackupPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesBackupPriceStartUp10 GBunlimited1+$1.99More detailsGrowBig20 GBunlimitedunlimited+$3.99More detailsGoGeek40 GBunlimitedunlimited+$5.99More detailsMore details
A free domain name is included with some hosting plans from SiteGround
- WordPress Starter. A great tool for beginners, this plugin walks you through choosing a theme and installing features, such as contact forms and e-commerce functions.
- Site Tools control panel. Other hosts on our list also have proprietary control panels, but SiteGround’s is one of the better ones. It looks good, is clean and simple to use, and is optimized for WordPress.
- SiteGround Migrator. Install this plugin on your existing site at another host to enable migration to your SiteGround hosting account. It’s a great tool for simple websites, but not so great if the site you want to migrate is complex.
- Collaboration tools. If you subscribe to a higher-level plan, you can add collaborators to any of your sites, give them each their own client areas, and transfer a site from your account to another SiteGround client. For developers, the highest-priced plan allows you to provide white-label access.
|Control panel||Site Tools (proprietary)|
|Number of sites||1 to unlimited|
|SSD storage space||15GB to 40GB SSD|
|Bandwidth||Unmetered; 10,000 to 100,000 monthly visits|
7. WP Engine – Advanced Performance for Experienced UsersWith WP in the name, it’s no surprise WP Engine exclusively offers hosting plans optimized for WordPress. Its platform is built upon Google Cloud and AWS servers to give you a reliable hosting experience. This is a great provider if you’re a developer or agency that wants creative tools and high-level performance but doesn’t need high-level resource limits. If you’re a beginner or intermediate user, there are easier-to-use and more budget-friendly options out there. And while WP Engine is one of the higher-priced hosts on our list, it doesn’t offer a lot of resources for your money. WP Engine offers four sets of plans (Managed, Managed Plus, Secure, and Ecommerce), each of which gives you four plan options with the same base resources, but different features. The Startup plan in each set provides 10GB of storage, 50GB of bandwidth, and 25,000 monthly visits for a single website. With Plus plans, you get automatic updates. With Secure, you get increased protection for your site and your customers. And with Ecommerce, you get WooCommerce-specific features.
WP Engine Web Hosting
- EverCache technology. WP Engine claims its proprietary caching tech can handle “hundreds of millions of hits per day.” It automatically caches static content to keep your sites loading at peak speed.
- Three hosting environments. Lots of WordPress cloud hosting providers offer site staging, but WP Engine goes even further and gives you separate development, staging, and production environments for each of your sites.
- Geotargeting. Aiming specific content at your audience based on their location seems pretty standard in 2023, but not all WordPress cloud hosts offer this as a service. WP Engine does, with the proprietary GeoTarget plugin. You can show or hide content based on IP address location, including switching to local languages and currency.
- 60-day money-back guarantee. It’s not the 90 days you get with InMotion Hosting, but WP Engine’s 60-day money-back guarantee is doubly as generous as most WordPress cloud hosting providers.
|Control panel||WP Engine User Portal (proprietary)|
|Number of sites||1 to 30|
|SSD storage space||10GB to 50GB|
|Bandwidth||50GB to 500GB; 25,000 to 400,000 monthly visits|
8. Flywheel – Most User-FriendlySome WordPress cloud hosting providers have attractive, easy-to-use control panels, but none of them are as user-friendly as Flywheel. Flywheel packs developer-level functionality into an intuitively-designed dashboard that’s so easy to learn, my grandmother could use it. And it’s designed and optimized specifically for WordPress. Flywheel is powered by Google Cloud Platform, so it’s fast, reliable, and secure, and it can ramp up resources instantly if your traffic surges. It also includes plenty of standard hosting features, such as nightly backups, automatic WordPress updates, and much more. Flywheel markets itself as the best option for busy creatives, but it’s good for anyone from single-site bloggers to agencies. When my colleague tested it out, he gave its features, ease of use, and performance near-perfect scores. But there’s one rub against it: although it’s one of the highest-priced hosts on our list, it doesn’t offer an explicit uptime guarantee.
Flywheel WordPress Hosting
- Auto-healing technology. Reliability is critical. Flywheel initiates automatic diagnostic processes if there’s ever a PHP service failure, keeping your site healthy and running.
- FlyCache custom caching. No configuration necessary – this proprietary caching tool is optimized for the most popular WordPress themes and plugins and designed to reduce your site loading times.
- Fastly CDN. In addition to your choice of GCP server location, Flywheel gives you premium access to the Fastly CDN, so your visitors will get top speeds and performance no matter where they are.
- Blueprints. A development feature that will save a “blueprint” of your existing site’s themes, plugins, and configuration so you can quickly and easily use it as a foundation to set up new sites rather than having to start from scratch.
|Control panel||Flywheel dashboard (proprietary)|
|Number of sites||1 to 30|
|SSD storage space||5GB to 50GB|
|Bandwidth||20GB to 500GB|
How to Choose the Host That Suits Your Specific NeedsWe’ve signed up for the services, we’ve run the tests, and we’ve narrowed down the eight best WordPress cloud hosting providers out there. But which one is right for you? If you’re just migrating to cloud hosting from shared hosting, and you need flexibility and reliability for beginners, then you can’t do much better than Scala Hosting. If you want the best host for speed and reliability, Kinsta is king. Its platform is super-easy to use, but it’s also the most expensive. Need performance on a budget? A2 Hosting gives you good speeds and unlimited websites at a much lower price than Kinsta. If you want a quick glance at how our hosts fared against one another, take a look at the comparison table below.
|WordPress Optimized||Max SSD Storage||Uptime Guarantee||Starting Price|