Inside this Article
What We Look For in the Best Cheap Windows Hosting Services1. Kamatera – Best Performance (and There’s a Free Trial!)2. IONOS – Lowest Prices for Windows Hosting3. InterServer – Simple Pricing for Uncomplicated Windows Hosting4. Liquid Web – Enhanced Security for Windows VPS5. Hostwinds – Affordable Windows VPS With Off-Site BackupsWhich Windows Host is Right for Me?FAQ
Short on Time? These Are the Best Cheap & Reliable Windows Hosts for 2023:
- Kamatera – Best performance and customizability on the latest versions of Windows Server
- IONOS – Lowest starting prices for unmanaged Windows VPS
- InterServer– Resource-packed shared and VPS-based Windows hosting
What We Look For in the Best Cheap Windows Hosting ServicesBeing on a tight budget doesn’t mean you have to suffer with low-quality hosting. I’ve ensured that all of the hosts on this list offer at least the following:
- Full compatibility – One of the most common reasons for looking for Windows hosting is that you need excellent software compatibility with your business systems.
- Strong security – Windows servers aren’t as secure as Linux out of the box, so you need a host that offers high-level security (even if it costs more).
- Stable servers – A good uptime history and an uptime guarantee are absolutely essential – you don’t want a cheap host that has long periods of downtime.
- Value for money – Low prices don’t necessarily mean good value. I looked for value-added features like generous resources and useful freebies.
- Money-back guarantee – If you sign up for a long-term plan but then discover the host doesn’t fully meet your needs, you need to know you can get your money back.
- Dependable customer service – Windows servers are less user-friendly than Linux servers, so you’re more likely to run into issues – it’s essential that you can get the help you need.
If you’re looking for a highly-customizable environment to run Windows Server at its full potential, Kamatera’s cloud-based VPS may be right for you. Kamatera lets you build your own virtual server from the ground up, setting the amount of RAM, CPU, and SSD storage to the exact numbers you need at any given moment. Despite remaining relatively affordable for Windows hosting, Kamatera delivered impressive page loading speed during our performance tests. We also recorded perfect uptime throughout the entire testing period. Kamatera’s cloud VPSs are primarily unmanaged – while managed service does exist as an optional add-on, it’s more expensive and slightly lacking in features compared to many other managed services. That said, if you know your way around Windows Server, you’ll be getting a great deal – Kamatera offers the best price-to-performance ratio for VPSs.
Kamatera VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPriceExpress 1 vCPU - Linux CentOS 830GB 5TB1 vCPU1GB$4.00More detailsExpress 1 vCPU - Windows Server 201930GB 5TB1 vCPU1GB$23.00More detailsExpress 2 vCPU - Linux CentOS 830GB5TB2 vCPU2GB$12.00More detailsExpress 2 vCPU - Windows Server 201930GB5TB2 vCPU2GB$29.00More detailsExpress 4 vCPU - Linux CentOS 850GB5 TB4 vCPU4GB$28.00More detailsExpress 4 vCPU - Windows Server 201950GB5TB4 vCPU4GB$45.00More detailsExpress Fully Managed 1 vCPU20GB5TB1 vCPU1GB$54.00More detailsExpress Fully Managed 2 vCPU50GB5TB2 vCPU2GB$64.00More detailsExpress Fully Managed 4 vCPU100GB5TB4 vCPU4GB$82.00More detailsExpress Fully Managed 8 vCPU250GB5TB8v vCPU8GB$133.00More detailsMore details
- Multiple Windows Server versions. With Kamatera, you can choose from 15 Windows Server options, including Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019, and 2022 in standard and enterprise versions.
- 13 global data centers – Kamatera operates multiple data centers across all major continents. Regardless of where your target audience is located, you’ll be able to serve them with fast, low-latency hosting performance.
- Instant scalability. If you find that your server setup isn’t meeting your needs as your business grows, you can instantly add more storage, CPU, RAM, and other features to your server.
- 30-day free trial. You benefit from a free trial period of 30 days. You get full access to all features and can create one cloud server during this period with up to $100 worth of resources.
|Windows Server Versions Available||Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019, and 2022|
|Money-Back Guarantee||No, but there is a 30-day free trial|
|Disk Space||From 20 GB up to 16 TB|
If you don’t mind using a shared Windows hosting solution, IONOS is the cheapest option on this list. Prices start at just $1.00 per month if you commit to a 12-month plan. You’ll even get a free domain name for a year to add more value, along with a generous 100GB SSD storage. IONOS also offers quality support – in fact, every customer is assigned a dedicated support agent. All enquiries will go to the same point of contact, and they’ll even help you to optimize your site’s performance. This can be a valuable asset if this is your first Windows server. One thing to be wary of – upon renewal, IONOS’ prices almost double. While this sounds alarming, IONOS still manages to remain less expensive than many other Windows hosts.
1&1 IONOS Web Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthFree SSLNumber of SitesPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthFree SSLNumber of SitesPriceEssential10 GBunlimited+1$4.00More detailsStarter100 GBunlimited+10$6.00More detailsPlusunlimitedunlimited+unlimited$1.00More detailsUltimateunlimitedunlimited+unlimited$10.00More detailsEssential + Partner Membership10 GBunlimited+1$4.00More detailsStarter + Partner Membership100 GBunlimited+10$6.00More detailsPlus + Partner Membershipunlimitedunlimited+unlimited$1.00More detailsUltimate + Partner Membershipunlimitedunlimited+unlimited$10.00More detailsWindows Business100 GBunlimited+1$5.00More detailsWindows Pro250 GBunlimited+5$6.00More detailsWindows Expert500 GBunlimited+50$10.00More detailsMore details
A free domain name is included with some hosting plans from 1&1 IONOS
- Impressive performance – As these are shared hosting plans, they aren’t going to be able to compete with a powerful VPS host such as Kamatera. That said, our performance tests revealed IONOS offers very good loading times for a budget host.
- SiteLock malware protection. In the “Pro” plan and up, you benefit from SiteLock security, which automatically scans your site for vulnerabilities and malware.
- Up to 25 databases. IONOS offers a generous number of MS SQL databases if you need them for multiple functions. Each one has a capacity of 2GB of SSD space.
- High level of redundancy. Your data is mirrored across two separate data centers. This means your data will always be available even in the unlikely event that one data center fails.
|Windows Server Versions Available||Windows Server 2022 (Windows Server 2019 also available with VPS plans)|
|Disk Space||Up to 500GB|
3. InterServer – Simple Pricing for Uncomplicated Windows Hosting
InterServer keeps things nice and simple. Instead of having a huge and confusing list of plans, it offers one generous shared Windows hosting plan. This plan is built to work seamlessly with the ASP.NET framework and allows you to host up to 25 websites, with free SSL certificates for each one.
There are no restrictions on storage, bandwidth, or email addresses, and you benefit from managed hosting features such as free website migrations, automatic updates, and a backup/restore tool. The one catch is that you don’t get a free domain name when you sign up.
InterServer also offers Windows VPS plans – which start at (almost) unbelievably low prices for a single CPU with 2 GB RAM, 30 GB storage, and 2 TB bandwidth. These come preinstalled with Windows Server 2022, and you get enhanced security, the Plesk control panel, and excellent scalability.
InterServer Web Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthFree SSLNumber of SitesPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthFree SSLNumber of SitesPriceSTANDARD WEB HOSTINGUnlimited SSDunlimited+unlimited$2.50More detailsWINDOWS ASP.NETunlimitedunlimited+25$8.00More detailsMore details
InterServer VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPriceVPS1 - Linux30 GB SSD1 TB1 CORE2 GB$6.00More detailsVPS2 - Linux60 GB SSD2 TB2 CORES4 GB$12.00More detailsVPS3 - Linux90 GB SSD3 TB3 CORES6 GB$18.00More detailsVPS4 - Linux120 GB SSD4 TB4 CORES8 GB$24.00More detailsVPS5 - Linux150 GB SSD5 TB5 CORES10 GB$30.00More detailsVPS6 - Linux180 GB SSD6 TB6 CORES12 GB$36.00More detailsVPS7 - Linux210 GB SSD7 TB7 CORES14 GB$42.00More detailsVPS8 - Linux240 GB SSD8 TB8 CORES16 GB$48.00More detailsVPS9 - Linux270 GB SSD9 TB9 CORES18 GB$54.00More detailsVPS1 - Windows30 GB SSD2 TB1 CORE2 GB$10.00More detailsVPS2 - Windows60 GB SSD4 TB2 CORES4 GB$20.00More detailsVPS3 - Windows90 GB SSD6 TB3 CORES6 GB$30.00More detailsVPS4 - Windows120 GB SSD8 TB4 CORES8 GB$40.00More detailsVPS5 - Windows150 GB SSD10 TB5 CORES10 GB$50.00More detailsVPS6 - Windows180 GB SSD12 TB6 CORES12 GB$60.00More detailsVPS7 - Windows210 GB SSD14 TB7 CORES14 GB$70.00More detailsVPS8 - Windows240 GB SSD16 TB8 CORES16 GB$80.00More detailsVPS9 - Windows270 GB SSD18 TB9 CORES18 GB$90.00More detailsMore details
- Intershield security. To protect your website from malicious traffic and hackers, InterServer includes its bespoke shared hosting security suite, Intershield, with its Windows hosting. This includes a web application firewall, malware detection, script scanning, and outbound email protection.
- Speed optimization. The ASP.NET hosting plan includes built-in caching features and Cloudflare CDN (content delivery network) for high-performing websites that will load quickly no matter where in the world your visitors are.
- Windows Server 2012. Although this is not the latest version of Windows Server, it supports MSSQL 2012 and all ASP.NET versions for running the applications you need.
- Plesk Onyx control panel. Rather than offering the new version of Plesk, Obsidian, InterServer has stuck with Onyx, as this previous version still supports the easy installation of Let’s Encrypt SSL certificates.
|Windows Server Versions Available||Windows Server 2022 (for both shared and VPS hosting)|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days|
Liquid Web offers Windows VPS servers that are cloud-based, fast, and secure. Its prices are a bit higher, but core server management is included in the cost – this includes maintenance, monitoring, and security. Or, if you prefer, you can manage your own server – this will lower the price. Cloudflare CDN and 100 GB of cloud backups are included in all of Liquid Web’s Windows VPS plans. These features facilitate automatic snapshot backups of your server, which are stored off-site in the cloud, providing you with the highest level of data protection available. Liquid Web has a 100% uptime guarantee – which activates after 25 seconds of downtime. Since most hosts have a 99.9% uptime guarantee that allows for up to 43 minutes of downtime per month, any host offering a 100% uptime guarantee or more is a top choice for reliability.
Liquid Web VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPrice2GB RAM Linux40 GB SSD10 TB2 vCPU2 GB$15.00More details4GB RAM Linux100 GB SSD10 TB4 vCPU4 GB$25.00More details8GB RAM Linux150 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU8 GB$35.00More details16GB RAM Linux200 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU16 GB$95.00More details2GB Value Bundle Linux40 GB SSD10 TB2 vCPU2 GB$45.00More details4GB Value Bundle Linux100 GB SSD10 TB4 vCPU4 GB$70.00More details8GB Value Bundle Linux150 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU8 GB$95.00More details16GB Value Bundle Linux200 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU16 GB$145.00More details4GB RAM Windows 100 GB SSD10 TB4 vCPU4 GB$80.00More details8GB RAM Windows150 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU8 GB$100.00More details16GB RAM Windows200 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU16 GB$149.00More details4GB Value Bundle Windows100 GB SSD10 TB4 vCPU4 GB$90.00More details8GB Value Bundle Windows150 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU8 GB$110.00More details16GB Value Bundle Windows200 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU16 GB$189.00More detailsMore details
- Generous bandwidth – All Liquid Web VPSs offer 10TB of monthly bandwidth. With most hosts, you’d usually have to pay extra for such a high allowance – if they even offer it in the first place.
- Fully managed VPS available. For an additional fee each month, you can benefit from a fully managed service including Plesk (Onyx or Obsidian) and proactive service restoration.
- Customizable server setup. Choose your server zone (US or EU), your cloud SSD configuration (pre-sets for SSD, memory, and vCPU), bandwidth, network storage, daily backups (100 GB included), IP addresses, and anti-virus options.
- Enhanced security. All VPS plans from Liquid Web include ServerSecure, a bespoke set of security features that protect your server from malicious traffic, script injection, DDoS attacks, and more.
|Windows Server Versions Available||Windows Server 2019|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days|
|Disk Space||Up to 200 GB|
5. Hostwinds – Affordable Windows VPS With Off-Site Backups
If you’re looking for something more powerful than shared Windows hosting but still need to keep the costs low, Hostwinds offers managed and unmanaged Windows VPS hosting for a fraction of the cost of other Windows VPS hosts. Unlike many hosts, the price is the same no matter what payment term you choose (although any promotional pricing is limited in duration).
One of the biggest benefits of Hostwinds’ VPS Windows hosting plans is that they’re cloud-based, improving performance and reliability. The downside is that the cheapest plans require you to manage everything yourself, so if you want to add monitoring and management features, your costs will increase.
Hostwinds VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPriceManaged Linux Plan 130 GB SSD1 TB1 CORE1 GB $8.24More detailsManaged Linux Plan 250 GB SSD2 TB1 CORE2 GB$16.49More detailsManaged Linux Plan 375 GB SSD2 TB2 CORES4 GB$29.99More detailsManaged Linux Plan 4100 GB SSD2 TB2 CORES6 GB$38.24More detailsManaged Windows Plan 130 GB SSD1 TB1 CORE1 GB $12.74More detailsManaged Windows Plan 250 GB SSD2 TB1 CPU Cores2 GB$20.99More detailsManaged Windows Plan 375 GB SSD2 TB2 CORES4 GB$34.49More detailsManaged Windows Plan 4100 GB SSD2 TB2 CORES6 GB$42.74More detailsMore details
A free domain name is included with some hosting plans from Hostwinds
- Free proactive monitoring – Every managed Windows VPS comes with 24/7 server monitoring. If an issue is detected, a support ticket will be created automatically for you, and the support team will resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
- Enterprise firewall. For superior levels of security, Hostwinds provides advanced firewalls to protect your website from malicious traffic, script injection, and malware.
- Nightly off-site backups. Every night, a backup of your server is taken and automatically uploaded to the cloud, ensuring that you can instantly restore your server back to a former point if something goes wrong.
- Free website transfer. If you already have a (Windows) website hosted elsewhere, Hostwinds will transfer the website to your new server and ensure that everything is configured correctly.
|Windows Server Versions Available||Windows Server 2012, 2016, and 2019|
|Money-Back Guarantee||Prorated refunds for cancellations made within the first 72 hours|
|Disk Space||Starts at 30 GB, up to 750 GB|
Which Windows Host is Right for Me?While you should always prepare to pay a little extra for Windows Server hosting as opposed to Linux hosting, the hosts above will keep your costs down. However, the best Windows hosting provider for you depends on your needs – if you’re struggling to decide, here are our recommendations. If you need an unmanaged Windows VPS with excellent performance and customizability, we recommend Kamatera. You can custom-build a cloud server with the exact resources you require, along with a preinstalled Windows Server version of your choice. Looking for the cheapest option? IONOS offers budget shared Windows hosting. Even though prices are low, you still get dedicated support tailored to Windows alongside impressive page loading speed. Alternatively, you may wish to go with InterServer for its cheap monthly billing. There’s no need to commit to a long contract to get the best prices, and you’ll also benefit from unlimited storage, bandwidth, and email accounts.
Still unsure? See a clear view of how these hosts stack up with the comparison table below.
|Standout feature||Type of hosting||Available Windows Server versions||Starting price|
|Kamatera||Best performance & customizability||Cloud VPS||2008, 2012, 2016, 2019, 2022||$4.00|
|IONOS||Lowest prices for shared Windows hosting||Shared and VPS||2022 (2019 also available with VPS plans)||$1.00|
|InterServer||Unlimited resources with simple budget-friendly monthly billing||Shared and VPS||2022 (for both shared and VPS hosting)||$2.50|
|Liquid Web||Reliable data protection & 100% uptime guarantee||Cloud VPS||2019||$15.00|
|Hostwinds||Nightly off-site backups included||Cloud VPS||2012, 2016, 2019||$8.24|
What is the cheapest Windows hosting provider?IONOS is one of your most affordable (and best) options for Windows hosting. Unlike other cheap Windows hosts, IONOS manages to maintain a high level of quality – offering impressive performance, a robust anti-malware security suite, and other premium features.
Which Windows hosting service is best for beginners?We recommend starting with a shared hosting service if you’re new to Windows hosting. Both IONOS and InterServer offer shared Windows hosting at budget prices. IONOS offers a free dedicated support adviser to help you along, while InterServer’s low-cost monthly pricing lets you experiment without getting locked into a long contract.
How much does a Windows VPS cost?It depends on the resources you need and whether you require additional services like server management. We recommend unmanaged Windows VPS if budget is a concern – you can get a quality server for lower than $20 per month.
Hostwinds is one of your cheapest options for Windows VPS. That said, Kamatera’s flexible and still affordable “pay only for what you use” pricing gives you greater control over your costs.
Are there free Windows hosting services?Yes, but we do not recommend them. At best, your site will experience painfully slow speeds and extended periods of downtime. At worst, you could be scammed and have your personal information stolen.
We always recommend budget-friendly Windows hosting services over free alternatives. IONOS and InterServer offer quality hosting at very affordable prices.