MySQL databases power almost every content management system in existence, including the ever-popular WordPress. Because MySQL is open source, you might be thinking that cheap MySQL hosting is easy to find. That isn’t necessarily the case.
That’s because databases make up only one part of a modern hosting solution, and plan prices are dependent upon many other factors.
Security measures, business management services, and other extras often result in a bottom line that’s far from budget-friendly. Some MySQL hosts are affordable but neglect performance. A service that feels cheap isn’t good for anyone.
The good news is that it’s not all black and white. The best MySQL hosting services provide a balance between features and prices. By choosing your host wisely, you’ll be able to enjoy all the benefits of quality hosting, without making a painful financial commitment.
Don’t pay through the nose for unneeded extras, or for hosting that just isn’t worth your hard-earned cash. Read on and make a choice that’s right for you.
Our Top Picks for Cheap MySQL Database Hosting Services:
- Hostinger – The cheapest provider around still manages to offer great performance, with one MySQL database on the basic plan.
- Hostwinds – One of the best choices in terms of value for the money. Offers unlimited databases, storage, and bandwidth.
- A2 Hosting – Guaranteed 99.9% uptime. Five databases on the basic plan provide an excellent foundation for MySQL hosting.
- InMotion Hosting – Lightning-fast U.S. performance and two databases on the basic shared plan.
- SiteGround – Combines powerful extras, like a CDN (content delivery network), with unlimited MySQL databases.
What We Look For in the Best Cheap MySQL Database Hosting Services
MySQL databases are offered as part of almost every shared hosting plan, but a cheap plan alone is not enough to get on this list. The MySQL hosts I’m recommending are more than just affordable. They provide:
- Fast and reliable performance – As with any other hosting, database hosting has to offer high uptimes and phenomenal performance. I’m looking for powerful hosting that will make your database connections fly.
- Storage space – Your MySQL database might not be comprised of files, but all those rows and columns take up space. This all counts toward your storage limit, so I’m looking for hosts that provide generous or even unlimited disk space.
- Easy management – SQL, the language used to work with MySQL databases, is probably not your second language. Save for a few data scientists, it isn’t anybody’s. The following hosts provide cPanel and phpMyAdmin, tools that turn MySQL management into a point-and-click experience.
- Auto installers – If you’re planning on using your MySQL database to install WordPress or another CMS (content management system), the basic process requires opening up a database, setting users, configuring permissions, and only then running the installer. Not with these hosts. One-click installers automate the whole process for you.
- Quality extras – Cheap database hosting can still include a ton of useful services. Whether it’s an SSL security certificate, 24/7 support, or a CDN, these hosts all provide something extra.
1. Hostinger – Probably the Cheapest MySQL Hosting You Can Find
Calling Hostinger “affordable” doesn’t even begin to describe the service. It’s dirt cheap. It’s pocket-change-hiding-under-your-bed cheap. You might be thinking that means it’s low quality, or that you get what you pay for, but I can assure you that is not the case.
With almost 30 million active users, Hostinger still provides great speeds and high uptimes—over 99.9% in my last independent benchmark. A MySQL database is available starting with the basic shared hosting plan, so no matter what plan you choose, you’ll have everything needed to build your website or application.
What’s the catch? No free SSL or data backups on the Single and Premium plans, and no dedicated phone support. Luckily, an SSL is a cheap, one-time purchase, and Hostinger makes up for the lack of phone support with professional, 24/7 support service through live chat.
- Host more than one MySQL database – Starting from Premium, one step up from the basic hosting plan, you get unlimited MySQL databases. That means you can host as many MySQL projects as you want on the same hosting plan.
- More than enough disk space – The basic plan comes with 10 GB of storage space, and from there it only goes up. Even a product-heavy e-commerce store will have space to grow.
- 24/7 support – My favorite part of Hostinger’s service. Support agents take less than a minute to answer, and they really know their stuff. Aided by the company’s detailed knowledge base, they managed to answer every question I threw at them. Note that live chat only becomes available after signup.
- 30-day money-back guarantee – If you decide to quit the service within the first 30 days, you’ll get your full payment back. Just log into your cPanel hosting panel and deactivate your account.
Want to know more about Hostinger? Read our expert review.
2. Hostwinds – Unlimited MySQL Databases for a Low Price
Hostwinds is a fantastic company that offers an assortment of hosting solutions, from shared to VPS and dedicated servers. They scored highly both in our tests and in independent user reviews.
All Hostwinds’ hosting plans, including the Basic shared plan, come with unlimited MySQL databases. That doesn’t mean you can build unlimited websites with Basic, as the number is limited on all but the Ultimate plan, but you can play around with MySQL as much as you want.
While it isn’t as cheap as Hostinger, Hostwinds’ prices are well within what I’d consider affordable. Basic is available for only a few bucks a month, and performance benchmarks are all extremely positive.
- Unlimited space and bandwidth – Coupled with the option for unlimited databases, there really isn’t a limit on pure MySQL projects.
- Free SSL certificate – Included with all plans. Guarantees the privacy and authenticity of any data retrieved from your MySQL database and sent to your visitors.
- Backups – Whatever you’re storing on the database, be it custom tables or a WordPress site’s content, you do not want to see it lost. Hostwinds offers an automated backup tool to prevent any possibility of a disaster.
- Monitoring – Your MySQL database is the heart of whatever you’re building, so you want to be sure that any issues will be taken care of immediately. Hostwinds’ 24/7 monitoring service does exactly that, notifying the company’s engineers the moment something happens.
If you’re curious to know more, don’t miss our in-depth Hostwinds review.
A2 Hosting has made quite a name for itself in the hosting world. It provides consistent and reliable hosting services, is extremely transparent about what’s included, and offers some of the best prices in the industry.
MySQL databases are available on every plan, from shared to dedicated servers. On the most basic plan, Lite, you’ll be limited to one domain but still given access to five MySQL databases. The more advanced plans all come with unlimited databases.
Add into the mix a free SSL certificate and the ability to choose a global server that’s close to you or your target audience, and you’ve got yourself a fantastic deal. Just remember that for the best prices, you’ll need to sign up for the two-year plan.
- Unlimited storage and bandwidth – Gives you plenty of wiggle room in terms of the projects you want to build. Don’t forget this space is for hosting—not your backup cloud.
- 99.9% uptime guarantee – A2 backs up its hosting solutions with a guarantee, meaning you will be refunded for every hour of downtime. I hope you’ll never have to use, but this commitment to reliability is an excellent thing to see.
- Turbo servers – If you find yourself needing that extra oomph, you can always upgrade to A2’s Turbo plan. It’s more expensive, but still on the affordable side, and it provides higher speeds and response times.
- Free and easy site transfer – If you have a MySQL database, or a whole website, hosted with some other company, just contact A2’s support crew. They’re available 24/7/365 and will be happy to migrate your database for you.
Not sure if A2 Hosting is right for you? Learn more in our in-depth review.
Unlike many other hosting companies that were eager to cash out and join a big hosting conglomerate, InMotion Hosting remains privately owned. As a result, it provides a much more personal hosting experience.
Support is available 24/7 and is operated by knowledgeable and experienced representatives. Every time I contacted them, they were able to recommend an appropriate solution, and they never tried to oversell me.
The hosting itself encompasses everything between shared and dedicated servers, and all plans come with MySQL databases. The basic plan, Launch, includes two databases and can run two website domains. Two domains on the basic plan is very rare to see, and that completely justifies the slightly higher price tag.
- Two U.S. data centers – InMotion operates a data center on each coast, providing highly competitive performance to U.S. users. Any MySQL-based application aimed at American audiences will be in good hands with InMotion.
- Unlimited resources – Unlimited storage and bandwidth are provided on all plans, and you get unlimited databases on the Pro plan.
- Security suite – InMotion protects your project from many online dangers using the combined power of an SSL certificate, hacking and DDoS (distributed denial of service) protection, and an optional automatic backups add-on.
- 90-day money-back guarantee – With a guarantee period three times the industry standard, you’ll be able to test-drive your hosting for a long time and still get a complete refund if you decide to cancel.
Find out more about InMotion Hosting in our expert review.
Favored by website developers worldwide, there’s a good reason SiteGround became synonymous with quality shared hosting. Even the most basic plan, StartUp, provides unlimited MySQL databases, and the extras included greatly expand your hosting’s capabilities.
SiteGround plans are the most expensive on this list, but you’ll still be able to enjoy great prices if you sign up for longer periods. During sales—which happen often—prices are much more in line with the other companies on this list.
- Free SSL – Included with all plans. Just log into your cPanel account to activate. It’s all point-and-click, as easy as can be.
- Daily backups – Keep you data secure with automated daily backups. Whatever happens, you’ll always be able to roll back.
- CDN – After retrieving data from your database, the server then has to send it to you. For visitors located far from your server, this can cause slowdowns and long waiting periods. Bypass it all using a CDN, a service that promptly forwards your content to the global community.
- 24/7 support – Once considered the best support in the business, I’ve lately found the team to be a bit slower. Still, if you’re willing to use tickets and wait a few minutes, you’ll be able to chat with professional agents who can help you set up and configure your MySQL database.
Need more information? Read our in-depth SiteGround review.
Get a Cheap MySQL Hosting Service That Can Still Deliver Results
No matter what you plan on doing, it’s important that you don’t fall for the first cheap database hosting solution that comes your way. The hosts I’ve assembled in this list are cheap but also dependable, powerful, and easy to use.
If all you’re looking for is to host data on a cheap MySQL database, I’d recommend Hostinger. If you’re looking for the best possible home for you MySQL-based CMS and could use some extra firepower, consider SiteGround.
The following table can help you make a decision. Remember that these hosts are all very affordable, and the “Price” category is about how they compare with each other.
|Price||MySQL Databases on the Basic Plan||SSL on the Basic Plan|