Too busy for a full read? Here is the BEST Video Portfolio Website Builder for 2020
Wix – Over 30 video portfolio templates with high-res video uploads. Click here for 50% off all Wix plans.
Showcasing your best videos on a website isn’t enough to gain new clients. You want to make sure your visitors have the best viewing experience, with none of the pixelation or buffering we often see on video portfolio sites.
You need to make sure that you’re selecting a website builder that offers attractive templates, and enough storage space for all your video uploads. You’ll also require good SEO features to help your site get found by potential clients, and good social media integrations so it’s easy to share your videos and attract more potential clients to your site.
I tested the best website builders on the market and identified the ones that have everything you need. Read on to see which website builder you should use to create an eye-catching video portfolio that will help you reach more clients.
Quick Guide: Our Best Website Builders for Video Portfolios
- Wix – Perfect combination of well-designed templates, advanced video players, and customizable contact forms
- Squarespace – Plenty of SEO and marketing features at a fair price
- Site123 – Good option if you need to get a portfolio up and running as quickly as possible
- Jump down to see other website builders we recommend
- Comparison table
What We Look For in the Best Website Builders for Video Portfolios
- Maximum storage space – Since you’re going to be uploading a lot of video content to your site, you need a website builder that gives you a ton of storage space but still doesn’t blow your budget.
- Ease of use – You should be able to upload videos to your website or embed videos from sites like YouTube without complication.
- Reliable video playback – One of the most important things to take into consideration when building a website is having a reliable video player. A slow player can decrease page loading speed and videos may not load properly, meaning your visitors click away, frustrated, instead of viewing your work smoothly.
- Attractive portfolio templates – There are some great portfolio templates out there, however, not all of them are built to highlight videos specifically. You need a template with features that draw attention to your videos, first and foremost.
The best thing about Wix is that whether you start with a dedicated video portfolio template or any of the other 500+ templates it offers, you can customize every single element of your site. You can easily change everything from colors, to fonts, to the exact place of each content section on the page. This gives your portfolio better chances of standing out in an over-flooded industry.
Here are a few prominent features that make Wix a great option for video portfolios:
- 30+ video portfolio template options – Wix’s video templates aren’t only designed with aesthetics in mind, they also come with built-in functionality. For your homepage, you can choose a template that displays a full-screen video, or choose from a variety of gallery styles that show multiple videos side-by-side.
Wix Videographer website tempalte
- High-res video uploads – Wix allows you to upload videos directly to your site with their Single Video Player. The maximum size for each upload is 1GB. You can then customize the player size and frame rate, as well as select whether you want your video to autoplay when a page loads and/or play on a loop. There’s even a section to add a description, which also helps your website’s SEO.
- Advanced contact forms – Contact forms have two main functions. They allow visitors to easily get in touch with you and they allow you to gather more details about your audience. Using Wix’s Contact Form by POWr plugin is the best way to create a customized form. You can add custom elements, such as images, multiple-choice questions, a dropdown menu, and more. You can receive attachments from visitors, collect user data, and even connect the plugin to your Mailchimp account if you have one.
Learn about other useful features in our in-depth Wix review.
Just keep Wix’s storage limits in mind. On the VIP plan, you’re capped to a maximum of two hours of video, and on the Business VIP plan, you get five hours. While this is likely more than enough if you’re just adding short clips, there are other website builders that are less limiting in terms of storage space for your work.
The Unlimited plan and above offer unlimited bandwidth, while the Combo plan only offers 2 GB and the free plan a mere 500 MB.
However, there’s no limit to how many embedded videos you can use if you want to include ones you’ve already uploaded to platforms like YouTube or Vimeo.
Squarespace is a popular website builder for videographers due to its collection of professionally designed templates. You can add videos to different areas of your website, such as video blocks, gallery pages, cover pages, banners, and more.
Let’s take a look at Squarespace’s best features for videographers:
- Templates that make videos stand out – You’ll have a selection of beautiful templates to highlight your videos. The Wexley template is popular because videos open in a lightbox, which removes the distracting background when visitors watch them:
- Video gallery to present your portfolio – Don’t worry if you find a template that isn’t specifically built as a video portfolio. You can add a gallery block that allows you to display your media in a grid, slideshow, carousel, or stacked format.
- Affordable plan with tons of storage – Squarespace’s Personal Plan comes with all the features you’ll need to get started, including mobile optimization, SEO tools, and unlimited storage.
Learn more about the platform in our expert Squarespace review.
Unlike Wix, Squarespace doesn’t let you upload videos to your website. However, it does allow for embedding from four popular external hosting services: YouTube, Vimeo, Animoto, and Wistia.
Site123 is a straightforward website builder that has excellent video portfolio options. It allows you to get your video portfolio online quickly and easily.
Here are some great features you’ll get with Site123:
- Beginner-friendly website builder – If you’re just getting started as a videographer, or you’re a student looking to display your work, the Site123 builder makes it easy to jump in and start using right away. You could even have your video portfolio up and running within an hour.
- Clean and simple templates – A few basic tweaks to the Site123 templates can have them set up for videos in no time. You can replace the homepage or banner image with a video to capture a visitor’s attention and add a gallery for other videos.
- Easy-to-use contact forms – The 123 Contactform plugin is a helpful tool to create a customized form. You can drag and drop fields, split your form into more than one page, add multilingual options, and integrate third-party apps to harness the data you gather.
Read our full Site123 review to learn about the other features it offers.
While you can embed videos from YouTube and Vimeo into your Site123 website, you may prefer to upload the videos directly to your site. Just know that you have an upload restriction of 100MB per video, making Site123 most suitable for personal portfolios.
Weebly offers the best of both worlds when it comes to displaying your videos. You can embed videos from sites like YouTube and Vimeo and/or host your media via direct uploads.
I love the selection of apps and integrations Weebly offers. There’s everything from enhanced gallery plugins to marketing tools. However, if you really want to take advantage of all the possibilities, you need to opt for a Pro plan. The Pro plan gives you unlimited storage, which is crucial if you want to upload videos to your site.
Weebly offers some other features worth noting:
- Powerful marketing tools – A beautiful website alone won’t help you grow your business if your potential clients can’t find it. Weebly provides essential SEO tools that will help boost your search engine ranking. There are also integrations with Google Ads and email marketing apps.
- Customizable portfolio templates – Weebly offers a selection of portfolio themes that you can easily modify to make your own. You can add image or video galleries, HD video, and contact forms to any of the themes.
- Updates on-the-go – If you need to make a quick update to your site or upload a video from a mobile device, you’ll be able to do so using Weebly’s mobile app. Updates sync across all devices and screen types.
The Pro plan an above offer unlimited storage, and you can upload videos of up to 1GB in size directly to your site. In our full Weebly review, you can learn about other features this website builder offers.
WordPress.com enables you to personalize your website more than any other website builder on this list. Greater personalization leads to more control over every element. However, learning how to do this will take time and effort.
Here are some WordPress.com features you’ll find useful:
- Video-specific portfolio themes – The out-of-the-box themes provided by WordPress.com are more suited to photo blogs than portfolio websites. However, you won’t have a problem finding a theme created for video portfolios on third-party marketplaces like ThemeForest. For example, the Reel Story theme gives you a video background and a built-in portfolio module, and it’s also mobile-responsive.
- Multiple video player options – There are several plugins available for both embedding and hosting videos. For example, The Video Gallery WordPress Plugin is great for customization and responsiveness, while the Spider Video Player is useful if you want support for both HTML5 and Flash videos.
- Advanced video SEO tools – Yoast’s Video SEO for WordPress plugin includes features that will help your videos rank on Google’s video carousel or video tab.
One thing to consider is that you’ll need to upgrade to a Business Plan, at the very least, to make use of all the plugins, third-party themes, and get adequate storage space. If you’re still not sure it’s worth the investment, read our in-depth WordPress.com review to get the full picture.
Build a Video Portfolio That Stands Out
Each website builder on this list could help you launch a stunning video portfolio. The one you choose depends on your unique needs.
If you’re just getting started on your videography journey, then a simple drag-and-drop website builder is more than enough. For this, I recommend using Wix or Squarespace. They both have video portfolio templates that will meet your needs. You can also make minor customizations to these templates to suit your style. If you need something with more customization options that will scale with your business, WordPress.com is the way to go.
The table below shows an overview of each website builder’s features and strong points so that you can make an informed decision about the one that is right for you.
|Storage Space||Embedded or Hosted Videos||Standout Feature|
(VIP & Business VIP plans)
|Both||Great contact forms to add to your portfolio|
|Squarespace||Unlimited||Embedded only||Eye-catching video gallery|
|Both||Incredibly easy to set up and use|
(Pro & Business plans)
|Both||Large selection of third-party templates made for videographers|
(Business & eCommerce plans)
|Both, but hosted works best with plugins||Many video-player plugins for customization|
In terms of building your videographer portfolio, any of the above site builders can help you get started. If you are looking for more options, check out our list of the top website builders in 2020.
Wix is a very intuitive site builder, in case you need to get something up as soon as possible. If you have some background building websites, WordPress.com offers almost endless functionality with its third-party plugins. Squarespace arguably has the best templates, but there isn’t a free option (although there are good deals to be had).