Many companies claim to offer Magento hosting, but in reality, few of them meet the minimum requirementsto run this Content Management System (CMS) effectively.
For instance, the first rule of Magento is that you do not run Magento with less than 2GB of RAM. Contrary to what most hosts will tell you, you need specialized shared hosting plans for your Magento website. Otherwise, you’re better off with a VPS or cloud environment.
What happens if you try to use Magento with only 1GB of RAM? Your site crashes… when you try to load the homepage. Or during testing. And that’s if you’re even able to install it in the first place.
I’ve researched dozens of web hosts to find the best Magento hosting solutions. I’ve ranked them according to their compatibility with this ecommerce platform, as well as their ability to run it fast. You’d be surprised at how many popular hosts didn’t make the cut.
In a hurry? These are the best Magento hosting services for June 2021 :
- Liquid Web– high-value Magento cloud plans with expert support
- FastComet – shared hosting for Magento with lots of CPU and RAM
- A2 Hosting – high performance hosting for Magento with an “anytime” money-back guarantee
What We Look For in the Best Magento Hosts:
This is what I’ve prioritized in my search for the best Magento hosting plans:
- Magento compatibility. I’ve included the hosts that meet the minimum Magento requirements, such as Apache 2.4+ or Nginx 1+ (LiteSpeed also works), PHP 7+ and the entire list of PHP extensions, and a minimum of 2GB of RAM.
- PHP-optimized servers. Since Magento is a PHP-based CMS, I looked for the hosts that optimize their servers for running PHP code. Access to OPcache and PHP settings (like memory_limit) are a must, while other types of caching, like Varnish or Memcached, were big pluses.
- Ecommerce features. Most hosts on my list offer features that are relevant for online stores, such as built-in CDNs to improve page loading speeds for your customers, some form of auto-scaling to better handle traffic spikes, and regular infrastructure updates.
- Expert support. There’s no guarantee that your Magento site will be 100% compatible with your hosting environment. But all the providers on my list have tech support agents with deep Magento expertise who will help you figure out the best solutions when something goes wrong.
- PCI compliance. PCI compliant hosting helps build trust with your customers, which is why most hosts on my list include it by default. Whenever a customer wants to make a payment, you’ll be able to service them on your own platform instead of redirecting them to a third-party payment portal.
- Good value. The companies on my list offer high-value Magento hosting plans. Some include managed services by default, while others sweeten the deal with things like unlimited SSD storage and additional CPU cores.
Managed by Nexcess, Liquid Web’s Magento cloud includesplenty of resources, managed service, and free autoscaling. The XS plan comes with a minimum of 2GB of RAM and 20 PHP workers, but when autoscaling is activated, the number of workers can easily reach 40 at a time.
Liquid Web VPS Hosting
Autoscaling is an invaluable feature for online stores because it ensures that your website stays fast and responsive, even during traffic spikes. Whenever your server reaches its PHP worker limit, the Nexcess stack automatically modifies your PHP process cap to better accommodate the increased usage.
Once the traffic surge subsides, your hosting is scaled down. As long as the total surge time remains within the 24–hour-per–month limit, you won’t pay any extra.
Liquid Web’s plans are designed for high-performance PHP websites. The stack runs on Apache 2.4 with Nginx as a reverse proxy. You can choose any compatible PHP version, or opt for the latest release.
As you’d expect, the major downside with this host is the high price. However, given the features and the level of service included, there’s a lot of value in store.
- Managed cloud. Aside from the usual daily backups and automatic software updates, Nexcess’ 100% US-based support will go above and beyond to ensure your Magento stores are fast, safe, and always online.
- PHP-optimized servers. Every Nexcess cloud account comes with advanced static caching via MicroCache repositories. You also get your own private Redis instance, which you can use to speed up a site with a lot of products.
- Advanced security. In addition to a regularly updated Web Application Firewall (WAF), your online store is protected from malware and other threats with 24/7 network monitoring.
- Compliance solutions. Your Nexcess-hosted online store benefits from default PCI and GDPR compliance. Nexcess is also externally assessed for SSAE 18 compliance, so your sensitive information will be in safe hands.
|PHP version||PHP 5.6 to 7.4|
|RAM||2GB to 32GB|
|Scaling||Autoscaling on all cloud plans, VPS, and dedicated solutions|
|PCI compliant||Yes, native|
FastComet’s FastCloud Extra plan gives your Magento store unrestricted access to the server’s resources. If your online store needs 6GB RAM and 6 vCPUs to handle a traffic spike, extra resources will be granted automatically. I was a bit skeptical about this, so I asked a support agent to confirm this on live chat, which they did.
FastComet Cloud Hosting
You could technically host a Magento store on the entry-level FastCloud plan, since it meets the minimum 2GB RAM requirement. However, you wouldn’t get access to all the advanced caching layers available on the high-tier subscription.
You’ll notice FastComet is in the habit of marketing RocketBooster for several types of hosting, including WooCommerce, Joomla, and WordPress. The RocketBooster speed optimization package will deliver top-notch Magento performance because it addresses PHP code in general.
Although all of FastComet’s plans are Magento-compatible, there are some limitations that you should keep in mind. For instance, mailbox and database storage limits are really low on the entry level plan, although you can create as many as you want of either. Read more about FastComet’s plans in our expert review.
- RocketBooster optimization. The FastCloud Extra plan comes with the RocketBooster package, which includes OPcache, Varnish, and LiteSpeed’s blazing fast PHP handler.
- Streamlined dashboard. FastComet built its own client area (SmartControl) on top of cPanel, and it makes managing an online store much easier. You can even use your mobile phone to keep an eye on services, accounts, billing, and more.
- Expert support. Use the host’s dashboard to get in touch with a support agent anytime. If your Magento site is hacked or infected by malware, the tech gurus will help you recover and secure it.
- Built-in CDN. Online ecommerce may enable you to sell to anyone anywhere, but if you want your Magento pages to load fast worldwide, you’ll have to use a CDN. FastComet comes with CloudFlare built-in, so you don’t have to set it up yourself.
|PHP version||PHP 5.6 to 7.4|
|RAM||2GB to 6GB (shared hosting)|
|Scaling||Cloud VPS, and dedicated servers|
|PCI compliant||Not native|
If you want a high-performance Magento hosting plan pre-configured for you, A2 Hosting has you covered. The company offers out-of-the-box, “A2-optimized” installations of the most popular CMSs, Magento included.
Both of A2’s Magento plans are hosted on Turbo Servers, which, in addition to the LiteSpeed web server, also come with NVMe storage. This is an enterprise-grade SSD that will guarantee faster reading and writing speeds for your ecommerce platform.
A2 Hosting Web Hosting
The company is so confident in its performance (and rightfully so), that it offers an “anytime” money-back guarantee. What this means is that you can apply for a refund whenever you want and you’ll get your money back for the service you’ve yet to use.
A2 Hosting’s biggest hiccup is in the support department. Whenever I rely on live chat support for a hosting-related problem, I end up more frustrated and confused than before. Thankfully, the ticketing system is more reliable. Read more about A2 Hosting’s support, performance, and features in our in-depth expert review.
- Optimized hardware. All of A2’s Turbo Servers are built on premium hardware using AMD EPYC CPUs. Your online store will be able to handle nearly 10 times the traffic than a regular shared hosting plan.
- Optimized Magento software. A2 Hosting’s one-click install for Magento includes complex configurations like log disabling, cron job optimizations, Gzip compression, and CSS & JS merging.
- LiteSpeed Web Server. A good deal of the best Magento hosts rely on LiteSpeed, and A2 is no different. You can enable the LiteMage extension, which lets you cache pages that were previously uncacheable via Edge Side Includes (ESI).
- A2 Accelerator. Aside from the mandatory OPcache, your ecommerce website will also run on Turbo Cache and Memcached. This guarantees fast delivery for static, HTML content, and improved speeds for database operations.
|PHP version||PHP 4.4 to 7.4|
|RAM||2GB to 4GB (shared hosting)|
|Scaling||VPS, and dedicated solutions|
|PCI compliant||Not native|
Hostinger has a series of Magento-optimized shared hosting plans. Or, at least, that’s what it advertises. The good news is that its servers are very capable of running Magento, thanks to speed optimizations, LiteSpeed caching layers, and the latest versions of PHP and MySQL.
The bad news is that the plans that Hostinger advertises aren’t actually Magento-specific. Like a lot of hosts, Hostinger simply relabels its shared hosting plans as optimized for Magento.
Hostinger Web Hosting
Hostinger VPS Hosting
Aside from Liquid Web, this is the best value Magento hosting I’ve seen, the difference being that Hostinger is much cheaper. The entry-level offer starts out with 10GB SSD storage, one email address, free SSL, and the minimum Magento specs. That’s basically all you need to run a small online store. Just run with it and upgrade when you need to.
When we tested Hostinger as part of a huge web hosting comparison project, it was one of the top performing web hosts. You can read more about how Hostinger did in our in-depth expert review.
The downside with Hostinger is that you have to sign up for long-term contracts to get those awesome deals. Nevertheless, you do get the benefit of weekly backups, not to mention the fact that the servers are kept up-to-date with the latest releases of MySQL and PHP.
- Magento-optimized infrastructure. Hostinger’s machines are configured to run PHP code at optimal speeds. Aside from the incredibly fast LiteSpeed web server, Nginx is used for content caching, while fatcache takes care of the big data.
- Free SSL. When you’re shopping for budget hosting, you don’t want to be surprised with additional fees at checkout. An SSL certificate is required on an online shop, and it’s included here, even on Hostinger’s cheapest Magento plan.
- Easy collaboration. As your store gets bigger, you might want to collaborate with devs, designers, and content writers to expand it. Hostinger’s Access Manager lets you create custom-access accounts for your team, while keeping your own account details confidential.
- Global coverage. Host your ecommerce store as close as possible to your audience to ensure the lowest possible page loading times. Choose from North America,South America, three locations in Europe, or any of the three locations in Asia.
|PHP version||PHP 7.1 and higher|
|RAM||3GB to 16GB (shared hosting)|
|Scaling||VPS, and cloud hosting|
|PCI compliant||Yes, native|
GreenGeeks has some of the best support staff I’ve come across. If you think you might need help managing your ecommerce Magento store, you can rely on the customer service reps to lend a helping hand.
In addition,GreenGeeks’ shared hosting plans are Magento-compatible. The entry-level plan has just 1GB of memory, so I recommend you go with the Pro plan, which gives you 2GB RAM and access to 3 vCPU cores.
GreenGeeks Web Hosting
Another great perk is the fact that GreenGeeks is an eco-friendly web host, which can make it easier for you to appeal to your green customers. GreenGeeks purchases three times the amount of renewable energy credits as the amount of energy they consume.
There are some downsides: shared hosting accounts come with an hourly cap on how many emails you can receive, and there’s no data center location for the entire Asia-Pacific region. You can find out more about GreenGeeks in our expert review.
- PHP-optimized servers. GreenGeeks uses the LiteSpeed web server instead of the traditional Apache. Alongside RAID 10 SSDs, this setup will provide your ecommerce platform with excellent loading speeds.
- Unlimited resources. All Magento hosting plans get access to unlimited storage, bandwidth, and email accounts. Ideally, you’ll want to optimize content on your Magento website to take up as little space as possible, but knowing you can take up as much space as you need offers peace of mind.
- Advanced caching. You get access to LSCache, which is available even on entry-level plans. Also, LiteSpeed has its own caching solution for Magento sites (LiteMage) and it’s really fast.
- Scalable resources. GreenGeeks lets you add more RAM to your hosting account whenever you need it. This is a great feature for online stores, especially during the holidays when things can get hectic.
|PHP version||PHP 5.2 to 7.4|
|RAM||1GB to 3GB (shared hosting)|
|Scaling||Shared hosting, VPS|
|PCI compliant||Yes, native|
If you’re looking for an affordable VPS for one or more Magento sites, InterServer is a great option. You can customize your server to include as much CPU, RAM, and SSD storage as you need. Then, pay for the control panel that suits you or go with the free Webuzo option.
Unlike some hosting companies, InterServer uses high-quality RAID 10 SSD arrays. Thishigh-quality storage means better performance when your online store is getting lots of traffic.
A cheaper alternative to a VPS is InterServer’s Standard shared hosting plan.The stack is uptodate on all Magento-related technologies, including the latest versions of PHP and MySQL.
InterServer Web Hosting
InterServer VPS Hosting
The downside with InterServer is that the shared web hosting plan is only suitable for small Magento stores. Given the host’s underloaded servers, some growth may be possible, but it won’t be too long before your website reaches the allotted resource limit.
- Secure hosting environment. InterServer uses Virtuozzo, KVM, and OpenVZ technology to isolate VPS accounts from one another. Aside from increased stability for your store, this setup also guarantees top-notch security.
- Managed server backups. This is a great paid add-on that lets you create complete metal backups of your Magento websites. The files are encrypted and stored on separate servers, and you can browse them anytime you want.
- Managed VPS included. Buying at least 4 slices of InterServer’s VPS – which is to say a minimum of 4 vCPUs, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, and 4TB transfer – lands you a free upgrade to managed support. This means you can turn to the tech squad for system reinstalls, server-related issues, and more.
- Shared hosting available. The regular shared hosting plan from InterServer comes with 1vCPU and 2GB RAM. While it isn’t enough for a very busy online store, you can use it to spin up a starter Magento site.
|PHP version||PHP 5.5 to 7.4|
|RAM||2GB to 32GB (VPS)|
|Scaling||Cloud VPS, and dedicated servers|
|PCI compliant||Not native|
Which Magento Host Is Best for You?
As one of the niche CMS solutions for ecommerce, Magento has some pretty steep hosting requirements. While all the companies on my list are viable Magento hosts, some of them might be more suitable for your needs than others.
Hostinger offers some of the most affordable Magento hosting for long-term contracts. For the initial term, the company’s cheapest Magento plan costs as much as a mid-range shared subscription, yet it gives you isolated RAM and CPU resources.
On the other hand, Liquid Web’s Magento plans offer access to a premium, highly scalable cloud infrastructure. You even get a trial period of autoscaling every month, but starting up will cost you quite a bit, even on the entry-level plan.
Alternatively, FastCometis agreat choice if most of the visitors for your Magento store come from the Asia-Pacific. The host has an impressive number of data centers in the region.
If you don’t know which to choose just yet, I’ve gathered the most important information about the best Magento web hosts in the table below:
|Cheapest Magento Plans||Latest Version of Magento||RAM||StartingPrice|
|Liquid Web (Nexcess)||Cloud hosting||Yes||2GB to 32GB (cloud hosting)||$15.00|
|FastComet||Shared hosting||Yes||2GB to 6GB (shared hosting)||$3.48|
|A2 Hosting||Premium shared hosting||Yes||2GB to 4GB (shared hosting)||$6.99|
|Hostinger||Premium shared hosting||Yes||3GB to 16GB (shared hosting)||$1.39|
|GreenGeeks||Shared hosting||Yes||1GB to 3GB (shared hosting)||$2.49|
|InterServer||Shared hosting||Yes||2GB to 32GB (VPS)||$2.50|
How does Magento hosting work?Magento hosting works in mostly the same way as WordPress or any other type of CMS-based hosting. The difference is that Magento is entirely focused on ecommerce and includes a lot of features that will help you sell products online. For example, Magento offers pricing promotions, checkout, payment, inventory, and more.Can Magento run on shared hosting?Compared to other Content Management Systems (CMS), Magento is CPU and memory intensive, which is why most experts recommend VPS and cloud environments. That said, most providers on our list of the best web hosting services have shared hosting plans that run Magento well. For example, Hostinger and A2 Hostingboth support Magento on shared hosting.What is the best host for Magento?If you don’t mind paying the premium price, Liquid Web’s cloud hosted Magento plans are ideal for a busy online store. With PHP-optimized servers and autoscaling, your Magento website will run extremely well on Liquid Web.
Budget-wise, Hostinger’s Magento plans are the most reasonable option. On the Single Shared Hosting offer, you get 10GB SSD storage, one email address, free SSL, and a guarantee that the server will run Magento – just enough for a small online store.Can you get free web hosting for Magento?Not really. Because of how demanding Magento is as an application, there’s no straightforward way to host it for free. However, our list of the best ecommerce hosting plans does include several providers that offer a money-back guarantee.
Theoretically, if you’re looking to experiment with a temporary online shop, you could purchase a plan and ask for a refund within the timeframe specified. Keep in mind that refund agreements often come with a list of exceptions, so make sure to read the fine print before signing up.
If you need to keep the costs down, our coupon page has some excellent deals – and it’s regularly updated, too.