Inside this Article
A2 Hosting – Turbo Speed Hosting, With an Anytime Money-Back GuaranteeSiteGround – Cloud Hosting Beats Shared OptionHostPapa – Choose Your Own Level of Managed HostingLiquid Web – VPS Hosting for Confident PostgreSQL UsersInterServer – Basic, Inexpensive PostgreSQL HostingChoose Your PostgreSQL Hosting CarefullyFAQ
In a Hurry? Here Our Top Picks for PostgreSQL Hosting Services in 2023
- A2 Hosting – Turbo-speed hosting for PostgreSQL, with an “anytime” money-back guarantee.
- SiteGround – Shared or cloud hosting for PostgreSQL with fully customizable resources.
- HostPapa – VPS hosting for PostgreSQL with three different support options, including fully managed hosting.
What We Look For in the Best PostgreSQL Hosting ServicesWhen comparing PostgreSQL hosting packages, I focused on three main topics:
- PostgreSQL plans: Does the website host have packages that support PostgreSQL? And does it provide management tools like phpPgAdmin?.
- Up-to-date PostgreSQL: The version of PostgreSQL available is important, so I examine how recent it is and whether you can upgrade or downgrade it yourself.
- Customer support: Evaluating how the host’s support department responds to detailed questions about PostgreSQL gives you an idea of the level of support you can expect as a customer.
A2 Hosting – Turbo Speed Hosting, With an Anytime Money-Back GuaranteeA2 Hosting is an affordable option with reliable technical support for PostgreSQL. It supports PostgreSQL on shared hosting and VPS accounts. A2 Hosting is currently running version 9.6 of PostgreSQL, which is the newest version out of all the hosts I asked. On shared hosting, you can’t change the version of PostgreSQL you use, but on a VPS, you can install any version you want. Shared hosting plans at A2 Hosting give you the capacity for unlimited databases on the Swift or Turbo plans, or just five on the Lite plan. You can manage your database with phpPgAdmin, which is pre-installed. A2 Hosting also gives you a choice of Python versions on shared hosting accounts, and Perl is also supported. All shared plans have SSD storage for speed, but the Turbo plan goes one step further by limiting the number of customers per server. If database speed is crucial, it might be worth the extra cash. Either that, or you could go straight to a VPS with full management.
A2 Hosting Web Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthNumber of SitesPriceStartup100 GB SSD700 MB1$2.99More detailsDriveUnlimited SSD1 GBunlimited$5.99More detailsTurbo BoostUnlimited NVMe2 GBunlimited$6.99More detailsTurbo MaxUnlimited NVMe4 GBunlimited$14.99More detailsMore details
A2 Hosting VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPriceRUNWAY 1 - Unmanaged150 GB SSD2 TB1 CORE1 GB$2.99More detailsRUNWAY 2 - Unmanaged250 GB SSD3 TB2 CORES2 GB$7.99More detailsRUNWAY 4 - Unmanaged450 GB SSD4 TB4 CORES4 GB$9.99More detailsSUPERSONIC 8 - Unmanaged150 GB NVMe2 TB2 CORES8 GB$29.99More detailsSUPERSONIC 16 - Unmanaged250 GB NVMe3 TB6 CORES16 GB$59.99More detailsSUPERSONIC 32 - Unmanaged450 GB NVMe4 TB8 CORES32 GB$89.99More detailsLIFT 4150 GB SSD2 TB2 CORES4 GB$39.99More detailsLIFT 8250 GB SSD3 TB6 CORES6 GB$54.99More detailsLIFT 16450 GB SSD4 TB8 CORES16 GB$67.99More detailsMACH 8150 GB NVMe2 TB2 CORES8 GB$59.99More detailsMACH 16250 GB NVMe3 TB6 CORES16 GB$89.99More detailsMACH 32450 GB NVMe4 TB8 CORES32 GB$99.99More detailsMore details
- Room to grow: You get unlimited storage and bandwidth on shared hosting plans, so you can develop your site without hitting plan limits.
- Automatic backups: Server rewind backups on the Swift or Turbo plans guard against accidental data loss.
- Simple PostgreSQL management: cPanel gives you all the tools you need to manage your databases in an easy-to-use dashboard.
- SSD storage: Fast solid-state hard drives are used for your site files, operating system, and databases, which should increase the speed of your application.
- Security features: The Perpetual Security service includes kernel updates, hack protection, virus scanning, and 24/7 security monitoring.
|Recommended Plan||Lite shared hosting plan|
|Support||24/7 via live chat, ticket, phone|
SiteGround – Cloud Hosting Beats Shared OptionSiteGround supports PostgreSQL on shared or cloud hosting plans. However, cloud hosting is the better option, because the shared hosting plan currently lacks management tools.
SiteGround’s cloud hosting works the same way as a VPS. You get a set allocation of CPU cores, memory, disk space, and bandwidth, and all of these resources are reserved for your account. You can install anything you like, which means you can pick the version of PostgreSQL best suited to your project. Cloud hosting at SiteGround includes full management, so if you aren’t confident in installing software on a server, you could ask the support team to do it for you. SiteGround even has an autoscale feature that can temporarily boost your plan resources to cope with a traffic spike. Autoscale makes cloud hosting an attractive option for business-critical PostgreSQL applications that might otherwise struggle with demand at busy times. Right now, I can’t recommend shared hosting for SiteGround, since its new control panel, Site Tools, lacks phpPgAdmin. I found that I could create PostgreSQL databases (using version 8.4.20 of PostgreSQL), but there was no way to manage them. Its support team told me that they will be implementing phpPgAdmin soon, but wasn’t able to give me an exact date.
SiteGround Cloud Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPriceJump Start40 GB SSD5 TB4 CORES8 GB$100.00More detailsBusiness80 GB SSD5 TB8 CORES12 GB$200.00More detailsBusiness Plus120 GB SSD5 TB12 CORES16 GB$300.00More detailsSuper Power160 GB SSD5 TB16 CORES20 GB$400.00More detailsMore details
A free domain name is included with some hosting plans from SiteGround
- Customizable plans: Four cloud hosting plans are available. If your requirements don’t fit, you can design your own plan using the slider and get an instant price for the resources you’ve selected.
- Instant scaling: Set your plan to autoscale, or manually increase the RAM or CPU cores in the control panel. Once you’ve chosen your new resources, they’re instantly available to use.
- Strong security: SiteGround’s proud of the security it has in place to protect customer data, including anti-hack monitoring systems, custom firewall rules, and proactive server patches.
- Agency and reseller features: You can create client accounts within your own cloud hosting account, which will be useful if you plan to develop PostgreSQL projects for clients. Each client account has its own control panel.
|Recommended Plan||Cloud hosting|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days|
|Support||24/7 live chat, phone, ticket|
HostPapa – Choose Your Own Level of Managed HostingHostPapa’s Fully Managed hosting gives you PostgreSQL with cPanel. It supports PostgreSQL on its VPS hosting plans, but not on its shared hosting plans.
I had a long conversation with HostPapa’s support team about this since it advertises “PostgreSQL-optimized” shared hosting. HostPapa says that this is a mistake and that a PostgreSQL shared hosting plan does not actually exist. Instead, you can choose any of its five VPS hosting plans, which are affordable and have a good range of features. Additionally, there are also three levels of management: Self-Managed (basically, no management at all), Managed, or Fully Managed. If you rely on cPanel to manage your databases, you would need to upgrade to its Managed or Fully Managed package, which includes cPanel and root access. Keep in mind that some hosts are vague on what their plans actually provide. HostPapa makes various claims about its PostgreSQL hosting, including terms like “impenetrable security” and “solid core functionality.” The person who answered my questions at HostPapa was the most proactive and engaged of all of the support representatives I spoke to, but they could not tell me specifically what those terms mean. As such, I would perhaps not rely on them to provide a very deep level of support either.
HostPapa VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPriceMercury50 GB1 TB4 cores1.5 GB$19.99More detailsVenus100 GB2 TB8 cores3 GB$59.99More detailsEarth200 GB2 TB8 cores6 GB$109.99More detailsMars500 GB4 TB8 cores12 GB$169.99More detailsJupiter1 TB8 TB12 cores24 GB$249.99More detailsMore details
A free domain name is included with some hosting plans from HostPapa
- Quick setup: HostPapa will get you up and running with your VPS almost immediately. VPS accounts are functional in 60 seconds or less after you’ve placed your order.
- Flexible pricing: HostPapa offers five plans, and you can further control your plan and pricing by choosing between three levels of management: unmanaged, partially managed, and fully managed.
- Developer friendly: Root access on VPS hosting gives you complete control over the software and utilities on your server.
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days|
|Support||Multilingual (English, French, Spanish, German); live chat, phone, ticket|
|Beginner Friendly?||Yes (with Fully Managed support)|
Liquid Web – VPS Hosting for Confident PostgreSQL Users
Developers and experienced users will feel at home hosting PostgreSQL with Liquid Web. It has by far the best knowledge base documentation that I found on any host’s website; the level of detail would be just right for someone who’s used another database and is in the process of replacing it with PostgreSQL.
You can install any version of PostgreSQL and any management tool on LiquidWeb’s VPS hosting plans. If you’re used to cPanel, Liquid Web gives you 30 cPanel accounts; other control panels are also available.
If you’re comfortable using the command line, you’ll likely be fine with an unmanaged VPS. Anyone who might struggle to install PostgreSQL or its management tools can opt for partially managed (Core Managed) or fully managed VPS hosting instead. You can contact the team at Liquid Web to set up your plan according to your own requirements, or use live chat to discuss the options that best suit your project. Liquid Web is perhaps not the most beginner-friendly host on the list, but it seems the most competent out of all the hosts I looked at. The quality of the documentation on its website clearly demonstrates that its technical team knows how to support PostgreSQL, so you could get an appropriate level of support from the host if you got stuck.
Liquid Web VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPrice2GB RAM Linux40 GB SSD10 TB2 vCPU2 GB$15.00More details4GB RAM Linux100 GB SSD10 TB4 vCPU4 GB$25.00More details8GB RAM Linux150 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU8 GB$35.00More details16GB RAM Linux200 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU16 GB$95.00More details2GB Value Bundle Linux40 GB SSD10 TB2 vCPU2 GB$45.00More details4GB Value Bundle Linux100 GB SSD10 TB4 vCPU4 GB$70.00More details8GB Value Bundle Linux150 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU8 GB$95.00More details16GB Value Bundle Linux200 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU16 GB$145.00More details4GB RAM Windows 100 GB SSD10 TB4 vCPU4 GB$80.00More details8GB RAM Windows150 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU8 GB$100.00More details16GB RAM Windows200 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU16 GB$149.00More details4GB Value Bundle Windows100 GB SSD10 TB4 vCPU4 GB$90.00More details8GB Value Bundle Windows150 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU8 GB$110.00More details16GB Value Bundle Windows200 GB SSD10 TB8 vCPU16 GB$189.00More detailsMore details
- In-house data centers: LiquidWeb owns and manages its own data center facilities, and offers a 100% uptime guarantee.
- Automatic server monitoring: Load balancer, Server Protection, and vulnerability scans are continually operational to help keep your website online.
- Security package included: The ServerSecure package keeps hackers out and detects outdated software that could compromise your server and allow hackers an entry point.
- Customizable plans: LiquidWeb’s Solutions Architects are available to design custom VPS plans for customers, so you only pay for what you need.
|Recommended Plan||2 GB RAM VPS|
|Support||Live chat, phone, ticket, tutorials|
|Beginner Friendly?||Yes (with Fully Managed support)|
InterServer – Basic, Inexpensive PostgreSQL HostingInterServer supports PostgreSQL on its VPS or dedicated servers. The lowest-priced option is a single-core VPS with 2048 MB RAM, 30 GB SSD storage, and transfer capped at 2 TB.
Now, there is an important point to bear in mind. InterServer does not offer full support for PostgreSQL – it is very honest about this. So you’re going to be on your own if you choose to use InterServer for PostgreSQL hosting, and that makes it unsuitable for beginners. I tried to work out which plan would be best for PostgreSQL, but quickly ran into trouble. I picked a price based on the number of CPU cores, but on the order form, this changed to “slices.” Its support team told me that one core and one slice are not the same thing, and it was not clear how many CPU cores I would be getting at each plan level. I spent around an hour on live chat trying to understand this and didn’t manage to come out of it with an explanation I felt was credible. I would definitely recommend having a chat with support just to verify that your VPS is going to have the resources you need. I respect InterServer for its honesty, and I think it’d be a fine budget option for those who know what they are doing. It would have helped their case if the pricing was a little clearer.
InterServer VPS Hosting
Plan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPricePlan NameStorageBandwidthCPURAMPriceVPS1 - Linux30 GB SSD1 TB1 CORE2 GB$6.00More detailsVPS2 - Linux60 GB SSD2 TB2 CORES4 GB$12.00More detailsVPS3 - Linux90 GB SSD3 TB3 CORES6 GB$18.00More detailsVPS4 - Linux120 GB SSD4 TB4 CORES8 GB$24.00More detailsVPS5 - Linux150 GB SSD5 TB5 CORES10 GB$30.00More detailsVPS6 - Linux180 GB SSD6 TB6 CORES12 GB$36.00More detailsVPS7 - Linux210 GB SSD7 TB7 CORES14 GB$42.00More detailsVPS8 - Linux240 GB SSD8 TB8 CORES16 GB$48.00More detailsVPS9 - Linux270 GB SSD9 TB9 CORES18 GB$54.00More detailsVPS1 - Windows30 GB SSD2 TB1 CORE2 GB$10.00More detailsVPS2 - Windows60 GB SSD4 TB2 CORES4 GB$20.00More detailsVPS3 - Windows90 GB SSD6 TB3 CORES6 GB$30.00More detailsVPS4 - Windows120 GB SSD8 TB4 CORES8 GB$40.00More detailsVPS5 - Windows150 GB SSD10 TB5 CORES10 GB$50.00More detailsVPS6 - Windows180 GB SSD12 TB6 CORES12 GB$60.00More detailsVPS7 - Windows210 GB SSD14 TB7 CORES14 GB$70.00More detailsVPS8 - Windows240 GB SSD16 TB8 CORES16 GB$80.00More detailsVPS9 - Windows270 GB SSD18 TB9 CORES18 GB$90.00More detailsMore details
- Affordable PostgreSQL hosting: If you’re on a tight budget, InterServer will suit you. Managed support is available on some plans, but bear in mind that the team isn’t going to offer the level of support that a more expensive host could offer.
- Self-healing servers: If a server goes down, InterServer will redirect traffic to a working node, which could help to improve your site’s uptime.
- Easy management: cPanel is available on VPS hosting for an additional licensing fee.
|Recommended Plan||Cloud VPS|
|Support||Limited support for PostgreSQL via live chat and ticket|
Choose Your PostgreSQL Hosting CarefullyIf you need a VPS, I feel confident in recommending Liquid Web. It has good support options, a great uptime guarantee, and a knowledge base that blows the other hosts out of the water. Although it’s not the cheapest, you can design your VPS to perfectly match your project. A2 Hosting is a great choice for PostgreSQL on shared hosting if you don’t need the power and resource of a VPS yet. It has the most recent version of PostgreSQL, and it also has cPanel and phpPgAdmin set up and ready to go, with a tech team that can answer the kinds of questions developers are likely to ask. HostPapa is a good budget option for a VPS if you want an affordable plan for a small PostgreSQL application that gives you some room for growth. You’ll be best off paying extra for the Managed or Fully Managed support plan so you get cPanel too.
|InterServer||A2 Hosting||SiteGround||HostPapa||Liquid Web|
|PostgreSQL on Shared Hosting||✘||✔||✔||✘||✘|
|Number of Databases||Unlimited||Unlimited (except Lite, 5)||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|PostgreSQL available on VPS||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Current Version||Any||9.60 (shared), Any (VPS)||8.4.20 (shared), Any (VPS)||Any||Any|
|Full VPS Management||Extra fee||Yes||Yes||Extra fee||Extra fee|
|Control Panel||cPanel (additional fee)||cPanel||Custom||cPanel||cPanel|