Let’s introduce Cerbos to our audience. What is it and how does it work?Cerbos is an open-source authorization layer designed to simplify the implementation of roles and permissions in software applications. It provides developers with a seamless way to incorporate secure and efficient authorization logic into their projects. When building software applications for users and diverse roles, it becomes crucial to manage permissions effectively. Cerbos enables developers to easily assign and enforce roles and permissions based on the specific requirements of their application. This separation of business logic from authorization logic ensures improved security, testability, and flexibility. Implementing Cerbos is a breeze and can be accomplished in just a few minutes. It supports various installation methods and seamlessly integrates into different environments. Additionally, Cerbos boasts impressive speed, swiftly providing a clear “allow” or “deny” answer to authorization queries. With Cerbos, developers can confidently address issues such as whether a user can perform a particular action or access specific resources within the application. This capability ensures granular control over user permissions, enhancing the overall security and functionality of the software. In summary, Cerbos is a simple, versatile, and powerful solution for implementing roles and permissions in software applications. An invaluable time and money saver for developers, who can easily manage user permissions, improve application security, and focus on other critical aspects of their projects. <iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/PoCjWp5Z2Ys” title=”YouTube video player” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share” allowfullscreen></iframe>
How did it all start, and what are your achievements to this day?While working on our previous startups, as well as with Google, CGI and Microsoft, we realized that building a reliable authorization system was essential. We discovered that most developers prefer implementing the system themselves, and that’s a process that often starts off simple but becomes increasingly complex. We wanted to find better ways to address this challenge. We decided to build a dedicated team and create a layer within our software to handle authorization requests, and we were not alone. In fact, over the past few years, competition emerged, with companies addressing this issue from different angles.
How does your mission differ from the other companies in your niche?Our focus is on making the implementation process simple and accessible, so developers don’t have to become experts or learn new programming languages. Some competitors require developers to learn full programming languages or offer only cloud-hosted solutions, often at a premium cost. In contrast, our core engine is open source and free for developers to use. We want to prevent developers from struggling with building a complex and unnecessarily time-consuming authorization system themselves when it can be accomplished with just a few lines of code.
- Security: First and foremost. Cerbos prioritizes security, as an essential aspect of any the application or service to gain trust and be chosen by users.
- Reliability: The service is designed to run continuously and handle authorization requests, ensuring that it is always available and reliable for users.
- Scalability: Cerbos is built to scale seamlessly, accommodating both small and large applications with unlimited scalability.
- Speed: The platform emphasizes speed, recognizing the importance of delivering efficient performance.
- Extensibility: Cerbos aims to provide an excellent baseline for developers, but also while making customization and extensibility very simple.
- Developer Experience: By offering great documentation, SDKs in every major language, integration with all the popular frameworks and authentication providers, Cerbos offers an unparalleled developer experience which often makes a big difference..
And what makes them eventually choose you over your competitors?Fastest on the market
- Cerbos is self-hosted, so businesses of any sort can easily integrate it into their environments regardless of location. Think ATM machines, or government agencies.
- Cerbos is super fast, and speed matters when it comes to authorization decisions.
Joe, Software Engineer @ 9fin