Many insurance websites look outdated and uninviting. Since you want a website that will make potential customers feel comfortable right from the start, you need a website builder that not only has the necessary functionality, but also the right templates and customization tools.
Not all website builders come with the right features to achieve your goals, such as an easy way for visitors to request a quote right from your site, a members-only section where your clients can log in to pay their bills or begin filing a claim, and a Meet the Team section, so potential clients know who your agents are.
I’ve done the research and tested the best website builders on the market, and only five made the cut. Read on to find out more.
In a Hurry? Here are the Best Website Builders for Insurance Agencies
What We Look For in the Best Website Builders for Insurance Agencies
- Clean, professional templates – A design that’s easy to navigate can encourage potential clients to request a quote or contact your office for more information.
- Scalability – As you gain more clients and your agency grows, you might want to add more pages and features to your site. You need a website builder that allows you to easily upgrade your plan to get more storage space and bandwidth.
- Conversion tools – Your website builder should let you design forms for your site visitors to fill out so you can get back to them with an offer, or create an automatic system that produces quotes based on predefined fields.
Why You Shouldn’t Use a Dedicated Website Builder for Insurance Agencies
While website builders like InsuranceSplash and AgentMethods are made specifically for insurance agencies, they only offer basic, limited features that might stunt your website’s future growth. You risk paying a lot for a website you could easily design yourself, or paying the same price as you would pay for a regular website builder, but getting way less features.
The website builders on this list simply have more to offer you – both right now and further on down the line.
Wix offers more than 500 templates, including one specifically created for insurance agencies, complete with quote requests, a contact form, location info, and more. You can start from this template or any of the others and customize it to create the perfect site for your agency. With the simple drag-and-drop editor, you can move elements around the page, change colors and fonts, and add or remove pages and sections.
If you want help building your website, or you’re having a hard time deciding on a template, you can also use Wix ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence). Just answer some questions about your agency and the wizard will suggest three designs for you, based on your answers. After you choose one, you can edit it to your taste.
There are more than 300 apps in the Wix App Market, and many of them are free. These apps allow you to add functions to your website with just a few clicks. Here are a couple your insurance agency might find useful:
- Request quotes with Wix Forms: Choose a form template or create your own from scratch. Enter the fields you want your visitors to fill out when they request a quote.
- Document by Wix: You can add downloadable forms and files to your site so your visitors can fill them out before coming in for a meeting.
Read our full Wix review to find out more.
|Number of Templates||500+, one specifically for insurance agencies.|
|Are the templates mobile responsive?||No, but you can edit your template through the mobile view editor to adapt it for smaller screens|
|What does the cheapest plan offer?||Wix’s Combo plan gives you 3 GB of storage, 2 GB of bandwidth, no ads, and a free custom domain name for one year.|
Squarespace is known for its collection of over 100 high-quality templates. The templates are all automatically mobile responsive, so your website will display perfectly on any device. Squarespace’s site editor is easy to use, and no technical experience is required to customize your template, add content, and more.
Unlike most other website builders, all of Squarespace’s features are built right into the editor instead of in a separate app market. This makes it easier to find the functionality you want and add it to your site.
Here are a few Squarespace features you may find useful:
- Customer Accounts: The two highest-tier Squarespace plans let you create a members-only area, where clients can pay bills, file claims, and more.
- Email Campaigns: Grow your mailing list and send newsletters to keep visitors informed of current offers.
- Site Contributors: All Squarespace plans allow you to add contributors to your site, so you can have other people in your company add content and keep the site up-to-date.
Squarespace’s four plans all come with unlimited storage and bandwidth. Read our expert Squarespace review for a full list of features.
|Number of Templates||100+|
|Are the templates mobile responsive?||Yes|
|What does the cheapest plan offer?||Squarespace’s Personal plan provides unlimited storage and bandwidth, the option to add two website contributors, a free custom domain name for a year, and more.|
SITE123 offers ten categories of mobile-responsive templates for you to choose from. For your insurance agency site, I’d recommend choosing one from the Business category.
Once you pick a template, your website can be up in a matter of minutes with SITE123’s point-and-click editor. Just add the features and pages you want, add your own content, and customize the pages to suit your needs. SITE123 also has an app market with many helpful free apps.
Here are some of SITE123’s most interesting features:
- Pre-made pages: SITE123’s editor already offers most of the web pages you may want for your insurance site, including complete page designs for Testimonials, About Me, Services, and more.
- Email Marketing: You can use this built-in feature to offer special deals to your clients or send them newsletters with helpful tips or important updates.
- Live Chat: The SITE123 App Market offers several live chat apps to choose from, including Zendesk Chat and LiveChat. You can easily add a chat box to your site, to allow site visitors to contact you in real time.
While SITE123 is easy to use, the templates can be a bit bland – but for an insurance site, you probably don’t need a lot of bells and whistles. Overall, this builder gives you pretty much everything you’d need to get your agency website going quickly.
If you want to know more, check out our full SITE123 review.
|Number of Templates||100+|
|Are the templates mobile responsive?||Yes|
|What does the cheapest plan offer?||SITE123’s Premium plan offers 10 GB of storage, 5 GB of bandwidth, and a free custom domain name for a year.|
WordPress.com is stocked with over 300 fully-customizable themes, many of which are free. If you’re on one of the higher-tier plans, you can search third-party marketplaces like TemplateMonster to find themes that are specifically designed for insurance agency websites.
If you upgrade to the Business plan, you’ll get access to third-party plugins, which allow you to add a whole range of advanced functionality to your site.
Here are some of the best features for insurance agency websites:
- Quote calculator: If you’re on one of the higher-tier paid plans, you can add a plugin that allows visitors to get a quote on the spot. I liked the Calculated Fields Form third-party plugin by CodePeople, but there are others you can check out.
- SSL certificate: Your visitors might have to provide a lot of personal information to get a quote through your website, so security is a must. All WordPress.com plans provide a free SSL certificate that ensures that your visitors’ personal data is safe.
- Yoast SEO: This is an extremely popular plugin that helps you optimize your site so it can easily be found on Google and other search engines.
The WordPress.com editor is slightly more complicated than the other builders on this list, but you’ll find a ton of resources on the WordPress.com blog and support pages to get you through pretty much any issues you run into. Read our full WordPress.com review to learn more about the different features.
|Number of Templates||300+ themes in the builder, more from third parties if you’re on one of the higher-tier paid plans.|
|Are they mobile responsive?||Many themes are automatically mobile responsive, but some are not.|
|What does the cheapest plan offer?||WordPress.com’s Personal plan gives you a branding-free website with 6 GB storage and a free custom domain name for a year.|
Weebly offers dozens of themes, all of which are customizable and automatically mobile responsive. You can also upload your own theme from a third-party marketplace like ThemeForest, or start completely from scratch if you have some web design knowledge.
Weebly’s drag-and-drop editor is similar to Wix’s, and is very easy to use. It doesn’t give you as much design freedom, but you still get a lot of control over the placement of different elements on your page and their looks.
These are some of Weebly’s best features in my opinion:
- Forms: Use Weebly’s built-in Online Form Builder to create a fully customizable form so your site visitors can request a quote or contact you for more information.
- Built-in map: You can place a map on your site to help potential clients find your office.
- Referrals: This premium app creates an affiliate program, so your clients can receive unique discounts you’ve created for them when they refer others to your insurance agency.
- Change your theme: You can change your theme anytime without losing any of your existing content. Some website builders don’t allow this without starting over from scratch.
Check out our full Weebly review for all the details.
|Number of Templates||60+ themes in the builder, and third party templates.|
|Are they mobile responsive?||Yes|
|What does the cheapest plan offer?||Weebly’s Personal plan gives you 500 MB of storage and a free custom domain name for a year.|
Which Website Builder Is the Best for You?
Any of these builders could work for your insurance agency website, but here are my top recommendations:
- If you’re looking for a combination of ease of use and great functionality, go with Wix. You can start with a template that already has all the features you need built-in and customize it to your needs.
- If your agency is new and you’re looking for the best way to get the word out, Squarespace does a great job with its built-in email marketing and additional marketing tools.
Still undecided? The table below should make your choice even easier.
|Wix||Hundreds of free templates, including one that’s designed specifically for insurance agents.|
|Squarespace||Professionally designed templates and built-in email marketing tools.|
|SITE123||Pre-made pages and a simple editor so you can launch a fully functional insurance website in minutes.|
|WordPress.com||A free SSL certificate and, on the Business plan, access to helpful third-party plugins like on-the-spot quote calculators.|
|Weebly||The ability to change themes without losing your content.|
Freaquently Asked Questions
What is the best website builder for insurance agencies?
Read our expert Wix review to learn more.