ClicData is an intuitive, easy-to-use cloud-based Business Intelligence solution enabling end-users to easily track performance through reports and dashboards. Axelle Dervaux, Marketing Manager with ClicData shares their story and offers some key insights into common mistakes business owners make when implementing BI systems.
Please share the story behind ClicData: Where did it start and how has it evolved so far?
ClicData is a reporting and business intelligence platform that was rolled out in 2015 after 3 years of research and development. The goal was to offer an all-in-one and affordable BI tool to mid-market businesses. And that’s what we did.
During these 3 years of R&D, we developed:
- Hundreds of native connectors to cloud applications, databases, and APIs through a Web Services connector,
- Extensive data processions tools: you can cleanse raw datasets, combine, merge and fusion data, create custom calculations, and much more,
- Build custom dashboards with interactive charts, tables, maps and indicators,
- Automate data refreshes, alerts and notifications based on custom thresholds,
- Collaborate and share live dashboards with internal and external users through live links or emails,
- We also developed mobile apps so that our users can access their dashboards from their smartphones and tablets.
Today, thousands of organizations of all sizes and across multiple industries are using ClicData to manage their data and monitor their performance indicators.
What solutions do you provide?
ClicData works with companies across all industries – retail, healthcare, hospitality, technology and service providers, telecom, manufacturing… Because we’re able to get data from thousands of systems, applications and databases. While most reporting and business intelligence tools focus on marketing, financial, or enterprise systems, ClicData does it all. That means ClicData can be the go-to platform for reporting and KPI monitoring for the whole company. It also means better data management and governance, security, consistency in the dashboards, and better management of every department’s performance.
Could you give us an example of the challenges that businesses are faced with that ClicData can assist with?
Our customers come to us to solve reporting issues or improve their processes and each business is different. But they all share the same issue – their data is everywhere: in Excel, in their ERP or CRM, they also use social media, Google Analytics, they most likely have a database. Making sense of all that data is complex but also critical to make informed decisions.
With ClicData, they can:
- Pull data from all their systems and refresh it as much as they need without worrying about buying a new database or data warehousing tool.
- Massage the data to make it usable in dashboards. With ClicData, they can build custom datasets with data from their CRM, marketing or financial systems, then build actionable KPIs (Marketing ROI, Avg time to sell, Closing Percentage per Channel, Year over Year Financial Performance, etc.) and ultimately make better decisions for their business.
What are ClicData’s biggest differentiators in the Business Intelligence market?
ClicData is different in many ways:
- 100% cloud. No infrastructure needed, no maintenance cost, and it works on any OS.
- Our pricing is clear and transparent. You know everything you get the moment you sign up for a free trial and our plans are detailed on our website, no hidden costs. Our pricing is also highly competitive compared to the other tools on the marketing. With ClicData you don’t need to hire a team of consultants to implement our tool in your IT stack. Open browser, log in, that’s it.
- Technical and BI Support. ClicData also has a team of people dedicated to answering all our customers’ technical questions and helping them with their data work. But we also provide BI support to our customers. If need be, we share industry best practices, we help customers with their BI projects and dashboards, we build their KPIs and do the data work faster than any BI tool provider on the market. With a Quick Start package, you get 2 dashboards with custom KPIs up and running in a few days.
What are some of the common mistakes business owners make when implementing BI systems, and do you have any advice to share?
We wrote a blog that answers this question in detail, but there are two main mistakes that we often see:
Mistake #1: Overlooking the importance of BI tools
Somehow, business owners and managers think they can’t do business without a CRM or Invoicing systems because they’re part of their day-to-day operations; but not having access to a BI tool or not having one at all is not critical. They can always turn to Excel or similar applications for reporting.
Our advice: There’s no other way to say it, change mindsets! Having a proper reporting system that automatically pulls data from all your applications is mandatory to make informed decisions and run your business efficiently.
Mistake #2: Choosing your BI tool without consulting end-users
Some business owners and managers do understand the value of having a BI tool, but they tend to forget the end-user when choosing the system. It’s usually too technical, not user-friendly, or doesn’t fit their need (overkill or not flexible enough).
Our advice: Involve the dashboard users in the selection process before you even benchmark BI tools online! Make sure you understand what they need to measure, where their data is sitting, how many dashboards they need to create, how often they need to update their KPIs and refresh their data. You also need to consider the users’ technical background to make sure they know how to use the BI tool, and if needed, check if the provider offers support and online documentation. Checking all these criteria will ensure a better user adoption internally.
Are there any new developments or exciting updates in the pipeline that you would like to share?
Yes! Many exciting features are currently in development or soon-to-be released:
- Data Flow module that will include all our current data processing tools and more (sentiment analysis, advanced table machine learning trending and segmentation, creation of sub-tables from multiple value fields, and more.)
- Report Module: this new module allows you to create multi-page tabular reports PDF reports and distribute them to internal and external users.
- Insights Modules: they are the fastest way to quickly get a bird’s eye view on any table, view merge, or fusion. Quickly pivot and group data, segment it, or trend it. Save the analysis for future comparison or use it in other modules.
You can find our product roadmap on our website.