While SiteGround isn’t the worst available host, our tests have revealed page loading is slow enough that visitors might bounce off your site rather than wait for pages to load. On top of this, the service is a bit more expensive than that of similar hosts. You can find better performance at budget prices – if you know where to look.
You might be overwhelmed by the sheer number of alternatives to SiteGround out there. Every host is going to claim that it has better performance, features, or support, so you should be careful not to sign up with another host that has the same issues.
That’s why I decided to test each of SiteGround’s competitors thoroughly, to give you the most accurate insight into which of them offer the best alternative. I’ve narrowed my list down to the top six. The hosts below all offer better performance, and in most cases, they are also less expensive. Keep reading to find out which one is right for you.
Short on time? These are the best alternatives to SiteGround:
- Hostinger – Super-cheap hosting with powerful performance
- FastComet – Shared hosting with plenty of freebies and responsive support
- InterServer – Fantastic price-lock guarantee with unlimited resources
What We Look For in the Best Alternatives to SiteGround
- Performance. SiteGround delivers disappointing page loading speeds, which may drive away visitors to your site. All of the hosts included in this list provide significantly faster speeds.
- Value. The plans at SiteGround aren’t cheap to begin with, but they renew at an even higher price. Many of the hosts I’ve chosen will save you money while offering a similar set of features, or will offer much better quality services at competitive rates.
- Good support. While SiteGround’s support agents are helpful, getting in touch with them can be a headache. Sometimes support isn’t available, and even when it is, you may be waiting a long time. That’s why I’ve paid special attention to hosts with responsive support.
- Developer tools. SiteGround locks two very useful developer features behind its premium plans: a site staging platform and Git support. Most of the providers below offer these tools and more for free with every plan.
Hostinger offers prices so low it can feel like there must be some sort of catch. Its cheapest shared hosting plan is around five times less expensive than SiteGround’s StartUp plan. Even the top-tier Business Shared Hosting plan, which offers daily backups, access to Cloudflare CDN with Railgun, and enough resources for 100 websites is still significantly cheaper than SiteGround’s entry-level plan.
But Hostinger isn’t just inexpensive – it’s a genuinely high-performing web host. In my page loading tests, Hostinger provided some of the best speeds I’ve seen from a shared hosting solution.
For developers, Git access is included even with the basic plan, whereas SiteGround only offers it with its most expensive plan.
While its support service has many of the same issues as SiteGround, Hostinger is still a very good option for those on a budget.
Hostinger Web Hosting
- 30-day money-back guarantee. You can try Hostinger risk-free for the first 30 days. If it isn’t a good fit, you can cancel and receive a full refund.
- Proprietary control panel. Instead of the popular cPanel, Hostinger uses its very own hPanel. It’s an easier-to-use alternative to cPanel, but it includes all of the most important features, including one-click CMS installations through the Auto Installer.
- BitNinja security. Hostinger uses the BitNinja security solution across all of its servers, which includes a constantly updated web application firewall, protection against DDoS and brute force attacks, and resource-friendly malware scanning that won’t slow your site down.
- Automatic WordPress updates. If you use WordPress, its core software and plugins will be kept updated automatically, as part of Hostinger’s semi-managed WordPress support included with all plans.
|Data center locations||The US, the UK, the Netherlands, Lithuania, Indonesia, Singapore, Brazil|
|Hosting types||Shared, cloud, WordPress, VPS|
|Resources on least expensive plan||Single Shared Hosting plan includes one website, 30GB SSD storage, 100GB bandwidth, and one email account|
FastComet offers fantastic value at prices much lower than SiteGround, and still manages to include a free SSL certificate and access to Cloudflare CDN with all its plans. In addition to free automatic daily backups, you can make on-demand backups as you please, a feature that is only included with SiteGround’s top-end plan.
Another impressive aspect of FastComet’s services is the quality of its support. Its support agents always responded to my queries within a minute. With SiteGround, I found myself waiting at least thirty minutes to just get a response.
But how does FastComet perform? It’s average speed is nothing special, and my testing also revealed an uptime slightly below the industry standard of 99.9%. Regardless, it still provides a much faster support service than SiteGround along with great value overall.
FastComet Web Hosting
- 45-day money-back guarantee. FastComet offers full refunds for cancellations made within the first 45 days of your contract, which is slightly more generous than the industry standard.
- FastGuard security. Servers are protected with FastComet’s robust FastGuard security solution, which contains a web application firewall, DDoS and brute force attack protection, malware scanning, server monitoring, and more.
- Site staging and Git support. FastComet uses cPanel, which allows you to create staging areas with Softaculous. Git also comes preinstalled on the server and ready to use with every plan.
- Free website migration. FastComet will transfer up to three of your sites for free, with no downtime. Additional site migrations cost extra.
|Data center locations||Chicago, Dallas, Newark, Toronto, London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Sydney, Singapore, Tokyo, Mumbai|
|Hosting types||Shared, WordPress, managed Cloud VPS, managed dedicated servers|
|Resources on least expensive plan||FastCloud shared hosting plan includes one website, 15GB SSD storage, unmetered bandwidth, and unlimited email accounts|
While InterServer’s initial price is only slightly lower than SiteGround’s, the true value of InterServer reveals itself over time. It offers a very reasonable monthly rate, which remains the same even if you decide to pay on a monthly basis.
In addition, InterServer offers unlimited SSD storage, unlimited data transfer, unlimited email accounts, and allows for unlimited websites.
As for performance, our tests revealed that InterServer offers great page loading speeds in the US and decent speeds in Western Europe, but that it’s much slower elsewhere due to the limited number of data centers.
I also had some problems with support, as live chat wasn’t always available, and even when it was, the agents provided little help. Regardless, InterServer makes for a great choice if your target audience is located in the US.
InterServer Web Hosting
- 30-day money-back guarantee. If you find InterServer isn’t the right host for you, you are entitled to a full refund as long as you cancel within 30 days, but keep in mind that paying monthly costs the same as paying annually, so you don’t need to commit to a long term plan anyway.
- Automatic weekly backups. The Standard shared hosting plan includes free automatic weekly backups to help keep your data secure. You can also manually back up and restore your site via cPanel.
- Free SSL certificate and Inter-Insurance. Aside from the included Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate, InterServer’s team will clean up a hacked account, whether on its own servers or during site migration.
- Inter-Proxy caching. LiteSpeed servers offer better performance than standard Apache, and InterServer’s proprietary server tech uses LSI MegaRAID SSD caching, hardware-level RAM caching, and LSCache for dynamic content caching.
|Data center locations||Los Angeles, Secaucus|
|Hosting types||Shared, VPS, WordPress VPS, dedicated servers|
|Resources on least expensive plan||Standard shared hosting plan includes unlimited websites, SSD storage, data transfer, and email accounts|
A2 Hosting offers shared hosting services for low prices. Its cheapest plan costs about half the price of SiteGround’s StartUp plan, with many more resources.
What’s particularly nice about A2 Hosting is its refund policy. While it has a 30-day money-back guarantee like many other hosts, it also includes prorated refunds for cancellations past this point. This means you are always entitled to a refund for the unused portion of your contract if you decide to cancel.
Additionally, A2 Hosting delivers excellent performance, even with its most basic plan. My performance tests revealed A2’s site loading times to be significantly faster than SiteGround’s. Its uptime was impressive too.
Sadly, its support service is outsourced, and didn’t prove to be of much help to me. However, if you don’t expect to need much technical support, A2 Hosting makes for a strong option.
A2 Hosting Web Hosting
- Free Cloudflare CDN. While many web hosts offer access to the free tier of the Cloudflare CDN, A2 Hosting includes its own custom levels (Basic or Plus) of paid Cloudflare Pro CDN services depending on the hosting plan you choose.
- Extensive security. A2 Hosting’s Perpetual Security solution claims to be more proactive than many other hosts. Features include HackScan, which protects all the websites on A2’s servers from hack attempts before they occur, and KernelCare, offering daily, rebootless Linux kernel updates on A2’s servers..
- Developer features. A2 Hosting includes site staging capability, SSH access by default, and Git support, alongside many other developer-friendly features.
- Free website migration. A2 Hosting has a dedicated team who can migrate your website from another provider to its servers as part of the cost of your hosting plan.
|Data center locations||Michigan, Arizona, Amsterdam, Singapore|
|Hosting types||Shared, managed or unmanaged WordPress, VPS, dedicated servers|
|Resources on least expensive plan||StartUp shared hosting plan includes one website, 100GB SSD storage, unlimited data transfer, and unlimited email accounts|
Kinsta is a premium host that offers powerful managed WordPress cloud hosting. It uses Google Cloud Platform (GCP) with its 24 data centers around the globe to deliver fantastic performance and reliability. My testing revealed some of the fastest page loading speeds I’ve ever seen from a hosting provider, along with perfect uptime over four months.
Because it’s solely a WordPress host, you’re limited to that particular CMS. However, as part of its managed solution, Kinsta will install WordPress for you, keep it updated, and provide automatic daily backups. There’s also expert WordPress support which I found to be responsive, professional, and very helpful.
The major drawback with Kinsta is the price. It’s much more expensive than SiteGround and may be over the budget of those just looking to host a simple website. But if you’re looking for some of the best performance and reliability available on the market and you have the money to spend, Kinsta could be the right choice for you.
Kinsta Web Hosting
- 30-day money-back guarantee. Kinsta features a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing you to receive a full refund if you cancel within the first month. This also includes refunds for any add-ons you’ve purchased during this time.
- Free SSL certificate. Each plan includes a free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate. You can also import your own SSL certificate if you require a warranty for your customers and a higher level of transaction security.
- Free KeyCDN. Every plan includes KeyCDN for free. The cheapest plan allows caching for up to 50GB worth of content. Higher-tier plans raise this cap.
- Staging area. If you want to test changes to your site before applying them, Kinsta allows you to create a staging site and push new features live with just one click.
|Data center locations||GCP offers several locations in the USA, as well as Canada, the UK, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Finland, Switzerland, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea, India, Indonesia, Brazil|
|Hosting types||Starter plan includes one website, 10GB SSD storage, and 25K monthly visitors|
|Resources on least expensive plan||Starter plan includes one website, 10GB SSD storage, and 25K monthly visitors|
Like SiteGround, GreenGeeks purchases renewable energy credits to replace energy its servers use. While SiteGround matches 100% of its energy use, GreenGeeks goes a step further and matches 300% of its consumed energy, making it the greener option overall.
So, it’s a very eco-friendly host, but what else does it have to offer? GreenGeeks has much cheaper plans than SiteGround, all of which feature unlimited web space and data transfer. There are also plenty of freebies included, such as free email accounts and a free domain for a year.
But the most impressive thing about GreenGeeks is its fantastic support. The support agents are very responsive and well-informed, and they will actively try to solve your issues rather than just pointing you towards online documentation. Its performance is nothing to write home about, but GreenGeeks’ fantastic support makes it ideal for beginners.
GreenGeeks Web Hosting
- 30-day money-back guarantee. If you cancel within the first 30 days of your contract, you will be entitled to a full refund.
- Automatic updates and daily backups. GreenGeeks keeps all your software up to date automatically, whether you are using WordPress or another CMS. Then, all your data is backed up automatically, every night, on every plan.
- Free SSL certificate. Each shared hosting plan has a free Let’s Encrypt Wildcard SSL certificate, which will cover subdomains as well as your primary domain. Premium SSL certificates can also be purchased if required.
- Developer-friendly. Many developer tools are supported, including Git. SSH access is enabled on all plans as well.
|Data center locations||Chicago, Phoenix, Montreal, Amsterdam|
|Hosting types||Shared, managed WordPress, managed VPS|
|Resources on least expensive plan||Lite shared hosting plan includes one website, unlimited storage, unmetered data transfer, and unlimited email accounts|
Finding the Right SiteGround Alternative for You
Which of the above hosts is best for you? Well, it depends on what you’re looking for. The cheapest option overall is Hostinger, which also offers excellent performance and reliability.
InterServer has a fantastic price-lock guarantee to ensure it always remains affordable, making it a good pick for long-term hosting.
A2 Hosting provides cheap but powerful hosting with a great refund policy, allowing you to cancel at any point and still receive a prorated refund.
If you’re looking for the best performer on this list, Kinsta is by far the fastest and the most reliable – if you’re prepared to pay a premium. Still unsure? Look at the table below for a side-by-side comparison.
|Resources||Developer tools?||How is it better than SiteGround?||Starting price|
|Hostinger||Cheapest shared hosting plan includes support for a single site, 10GB SSD storage, 100GB bandwidth, 1 email account, two MySQL databases, 1 FTP account. Can upgrade plan at any time for more resources||GIT access is free, but site staging is unavailable through hPanel||Much cheaper with significantly faster performance||$1.39|
|FastComet||Cheapest shared hosting plan includes support for a single site, 15GB SSD storage, unmetered bandwidth (within fair use), unlimited MySQL databases, unlimited FTP accounts, unlimited email accounts. If you need more resources, you can upgrade your plan at any time||Site staging and Git access are free with cPanel; Git comes preinstalled with every plan||Significantly cheaper with much more responsive support||$3.48|
|InterServer||Cheapest shared hosting plan includes unlimited domains, unlimited SSD storage and unmetered bandwidth (within fair use), unlimited MySQL databases, unlimited FTP accounts||Site staging and Git access are included with cPanel||Price-lock guarantee keeps InterServer cheaper than SiteGround forever, unlimited resources||$2.50|
|A2 Hosting||Cheapest shared hosting plan includes support for a single website, 100GB SSD storage, unmetered bandwidth, unlimited email accounts, and 5 MariaDB databases (MySQL compatible). You can upgrade your plan at any time or even move to a VPS or dedicated server||Site staging and Git access are included with cPanel||Much cheaper with a fantastic refund policy, excellent performance||$6.99|
|Kinsta||Cheapest plan includes 10GB SSD storage and enough bandwidth and data transfer to support around 25k monthly visitors. You can upgrade your plan at any time. You may also optionally increase just your storage space at a premium fee||Staging sites are free and simple to create with MyKinsta; Git can also be installed||Much better performance, along with responsive support||$30.00|
|GreenGeeks||Cheapest shared hosting plan includes support for a single website, unlimited storage and unmetered bandwidth (within fair use), unlimited email accounts, unlimited MySQL databases, unlimited FTP accounts. You can seamlessly upgrade your plan for more resources if necessary||Site staging and Git access are available with cPanel||More eco-friendly than SiteGround, much cheaper, along with fantastic support, unlimited resources||$2.49|
Which is the best SiteGround alternative?The best SiteGround alternative for you depends on your individual needs. If you have a small budget, Hostinger provides cheap hosting with better performance than most of the competition. Alternatively, if you are still a newcomer to running a site, I’d recommend either FastComet or GreenGeeks, as both feature great customer support, with GreenGeeks being the most climate-friendly of the two. For even more great options, have a look at our 10 best web hosting providers for October 2021.Are there free alternatives to SiteGround? While it is possible to find free hosting out there, I wouldn’t recommend it as you’ll be putting yourself at risk of being scammed. Even if you do find a legitimate free hosting provider, there will be major drawbacks, such as very low resources or advertisements being displayed on your website. It’s a much safer idea to search for a budget solution, and a great place to begin is our page of coupon discounts for October 2021.How do I cancel SiteGround?You can cancel your account by navigating to the support tab in the hosting dashboard, and clicking the Proceed to contact us here link at the bottom of the page. Navigate to the Billing section and choose Cancellations. You’ll be able to complete your cancellation there. Read our full guide to cancelling SiteGround for more information.Which is the cheapest and most reliable SiteGround alternative?The cheapest alternative by far is Hostinger. In my testing, it also featured near-perfect uptime, making it a very reliable choice of host. If you’re interested in what else Hostinger can do for you, read our Hostinger review.