A Step-By-Step Guide to Building a Landing Page with WixFirst things first, you need to create a free account with Wix and confirm your email address before you can get started. Once you’re all logged in, you’ll be met with this screen and you can really get going:
Step 1: Pick Your TemplateSelect “Landing Pages” at the bottom of the left-hand menu and then “Coming Soon” or “Promotional Page,” depending on the purpose of your landing page. Select the design that’s the closest to your creative vision and click “Edit.” You’ll then be taken to the Wix Editor screen. Alternatively, you can choose the “Blank Template” option if you’d like to build your landing page from scratch.
Step 2: Adjust Your LayoutKeep in mind that landing pages typically do not have a header or footer, and do not display traditional navigational elements. This being the case, in order for a visitor to navigate away from the landing page, you will need to add a button or hyperlink that can direct users to the rest of the site. To adjust your layout, select the relevant page from the Site Menu and choose the “Show More” icon (three little dots). Select “Settings,” followed by “Layouts,” at which point you can select either “Standard” or “No Header & Footer.”
Step 3: Design Your Landing PageSimply click on any element of your landing page to adapt it to the look and feel that you’re aiming for. For instance, when you click on any piece of text, you can edit it or completely erase it. A box will also pop up where you can change the font, color, and size, amongst other options. In terms of imagery, just click on it in the same way, and you can choose to delete it or “Change Image,” in which case you’ll be taken to media screen where you can upload your own images, select free images available from Wix, or elect to purchase ones from Shutterstock. Don’t like where a certain element is placed? No problem—you can simply click it, drag it, and drop it to where you’d like. Moreover, the features on the left-hand side navigation bar help you to perform a variety of functions:
- Site Menu: If you’re building a website with multiple pages, you can easily navigate from page to page using this tool
- Page Background: This is how you can adjust your background in terms of theme and/or color; you can also choose from the Wix gallery of images if you want to opt for a design that’s a little more advanced
- Add: This button allows you to add a wide range of features and multimedia to your page, such as text, images, videos, contact forms, social media buttons, and more
- Wix App Market: Here you’ll find a whole host of professional tools that you can place onto your landing page, many of which can be added for free, including everything from customer reviews to social media feeds and live chat
- My Uploads: If you want to upload a new file, font, or piece of multimedia, this tool will allow you to do so efficiently
- Bookings: This feature allows you to add classes or appointments for service-based businesses
- Start Blogging: If you’re looking to write about what you do, then you can use this tool to add a blog to your website
Step 4: Optimize Your Page for Desktop and MobileAfter achieving satisfaction with your landing page’s design and optimizing it for desktop performance, simply click the mobile phone icon located in the top menu of the Wix Editor screen. By doing this, you will activate the mode that allows you to seamlessly switch and edit your page for the mobile view. Wix has made this process incredibly user-friendly, and will walk you through decisions such as: what happens to your header (if you have one) as users scroll, where your quick action buttons (e.g., call, email, social media) are positioned, whether you want to include a “back to top” button, etc. On the bottom of the left-hand side navigation bar, you’ll see “Page Layout Optimizer.” By selecting this option, you can opt for Wix to make all of the recommended adjustments for mobile viewing for you. Pretty awesome, right?
Step 5: Preview and Publish Your MasterpieceOnce you’ve optimized your landing page for both desktop and mobile devices, you can then preview it using the button in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Then click “Publish” to make it live. With a free account, Wix will provide you with a domain name like https://username.wixsite.com/mysite, and allow you to customize the “mysite” suffix.
Assessing Your Landing Page PerformanceThe fun doesn’t stop once your landing page has been launched. It’s important to evaluate how your page is performing on a regular basis if you want to achieve optimal success. You can define success in a number of ways depending on your main goal. Consider the following to determine what is most important to you:
- The ROI based on the money spent promoting your landing page
- The amount of traffic driven to your landing page
- The number of conversions or percentage of visitors who convert
- Your cost-per-click and/or click-through-rate
- The number of social media impressions, likes, and/or shares
Google AnalyticsIf you upgrade to a premium plan, Wix allows you to connect an existing Google Analytics account for free. As well as gaining key insights into who the people are that are visiting your page, where they come from, and their clicking behavior, you can also learn about how to adjust your page for enhanced results.
The “My Account” SectionAdditionally, Wix has a database that they automatically update when a new user performs a particular action, such as signing up for your email list or filling out your contact form. You can access this database from your “My Account” page and even connect with these leads using the Wix ShoutOut feature.
Wix AppsFurthermore, the Wix App market has a multitude of tools that are purposefully designed to help you track the performance of your website or landing page. These options include: Marketing and Analytics, SEO Coach Analytics, and Web-Stat. You can either use one of these apps on its own or try a combination to obtain maximum insight.
Using Wix Versus a Third-Party SolutionThere are many advantages when it comes to using Wix as your landing page builder. As well as being an extremely intuitive platform, there’s absolutely no limit to what you can create. Whether you’re new to website design and want a basic layout, or you are looking to create a highly-converting, complex landing page that sells as many products as possible, Wix caters to every need. Moreover, the Wix Support Team is always on hand should you ever need any assistance; they offer tutorials, FAQs, live chat, and more.
Even though one of the best things about Wix is that it’s free to use, without a premium plan you are limited in the following aspects:
- You can’t connect an existing domain
- The website might be slow as you have limited bandwidth
- You have limited storage space
- You have limited video minutes
- Wix Ads will appear on every page of your website