Features and Ease of Use
Despite being a smaller hosting provider with a limited set of services, CleverDot still provides all the fundamentals such as:
- Domain registration
- SSL certificates
- Manual backup manager
- Antivirus protection
- Unlimited email accounts and forwarders
- MySQL databases
- 99.9% uptime guarantee
- cPanel installation
They also provide a few other features that add a lot of value and utility to their web hosting plans:
- RVSiteBuilder: This is a popular tool for beginners to easily build a website. It includes a decent number of templates and a drag-and-drop interface.
- Softaculous: Softaculous is the most comprehensive script installer with dozens of hosting apps ready for installation at the click of your mouse.
- Search Engine Submission Tool: This makes sure that your website gets indexed by Google and other search engines as soon as possible.
CleverDot has put a bit of effort into making their platform easy to use. Their pricing is simple, the signup process is almost effortless, and they provide a great range of software to help even the most novice users set up polished-looking websites.
However, your account will only be activated within an hour upon making payment: I found this a bit slow considering most shared hosting providers activate accounts almost instantly. Plus, their website looks very dated. This is probably where CleverDot falls short of their bigger and operationally-stronger competitors, and may also indicate that their platform may not be the most convenient.
Pricing and Support
CleverDot only offers three shared hosting plans. However, the terms are very generous with no setup fees, an exceptional 60-day money back guarantee, and a choice of monthly or discounted yearly billing. You can also get a discount if you choose to register a domain name with your yearly plan.
The plans come with:
- Starter: 25 GB storage, 250 GB bandwidth, 25 databases, and support for a single website.
- Advanced: 50 GB storage, 1 TB bandwidth, unlimited databases, and up to ten websites.
- Pro: Everything is unlimited.
Although not the absolute cheapest, CleverDot’s packages are still in the more affordable range. The software and features you get with your hosting service also makes it pretty good value for money.
CleverDot only offers technical support through email; their phone line is for billing or order queries only. They appear to have a live chat, but the few occasions when I tried to access it, they were offline. However, at the very least, my experience with their support team was that they’re quick to respond and generally very competent and helpful, even if it took multiple emails before I got the issues resolved. Unfortunately, the help documentation in their knowledge base is minimal and they don’t regularly maintain any social media channels.