Infographics have been around for quite some time, but the websites that don’t take advantage still outnumber the ones that do. Infographics typically involve hiring someone to do the creating, and if not, it takes up a lot of time for your design team. It’s clear that infographics are a great way to engage with your audience and display content in a much more interesting fashion, but for some companies traditional content is working just fine. Infographics are last on the list. However, what many Webmasters don’t realize is that infographics do more than just look good. They can also have a positive SEO effect for a website. If you’re looking to ramp up your SEO campaign, spending the time and money to create an infographic just might be the extra push you’ve been looking to find.
Infographics and SEO ConsiderationsThe biggest reason that infographics can help your SEO is because they offer link value (only one of the biggest and most important aspects of an SEO campaign. There are three main ways that an infographic can add to your link profile:
- Links Hold Value. The links found inside of an infographic hold value just like links found inside a piece of text. Although Google has discussed making these links less valuable than those found in traditional content, every little bit helps. Using internal links will help improve your navigation and external links will help improve your credibility—both important SEO factors.
- More Sharing Means More Links. Because infographics are easier to read and understand, not to mention more interesting to look at, they are more likely to be shared amongst readers. The more times your content is shared, the better visibility and engagement you will get (and the Google bots will see).
- Re-Posting Equals Backlinks. People are not only more likely to share infographics, but infographics are easy to post. Most infographics will come with an embed code, so placing that on your website is a great way to encourage people to republish. You will get a backlink anytime the content is republished, which will only help diversify and increase your link portfolio.
Other Benefits of InfographicsIn the end, infographics actually offer many benefits that are far greater than the few SEO benefits they can offer a website. For fun, here are a few “extras” you would get if you began publishing more infographics to your website:
- Captures attention.
- Easy to understand difficult concepts.
- More memorable content.
- More likely to go viral.
- Faster to read (so more desirable!)