As far as web hosts go, Scala Hosting is a decent option, especially if you’re looking for affordable shared hosting plans that offer most features you’d need for a basic website.
However, if you’re in the market for something more robust, you’ll find that Scala Hosting’s top-tier plans aren’t exactly cheap, and you’ll need to upgrade to get premium features like SSD storage and priority customer support.
Resource allocation is not the only area where this host disappoints. Scala Hosting’s average uptime often falls short of its 99.9% guarantee. And with only three data centers in Dallas, New York, and Sofia, page loading speeds will vary depending on your audience’s location.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of web hosts that overpromise and underdeliver. That’s why I spent weeks thoroughly testing all the major web hosts to bring you the best Scala Hosting alternatives. To make the cut, these web hosts excelled in areas where Scala Hosting falls short.
Short on Time? These are the Best Scala Hosting Alternatives in January 2022
- Hostinger – Beginner-friendly web host that offers performance-boosting features, even with its most basic plans.
- Kamatera – 13 Data centers in Asia, the Americas, Europe, and the Middle East, so your global audience won’t experience slow loading speeds.
- Liquid Web – Feature-rich premium web host with dedicated servers and high performance VPS.
What We Look For in the Best Alternatives to Scala Hosting
- Knowledgeable customer service. While Scala Hosting offers several ways to get in touch with customer support, the advice is not always accurate, especially when it comes to resolving technical issues.
- Reliability. Many hosts, including Scala Hosting, boast a 99.9% uptime guarantee, but only a few can actually meet these expectations.
- Server locations. Scala Hosting has three data centers, two in the US and one in Bulgaria, which means that someone accessing your site from Africa, Asia, or the Middle East could experience less-than-ideal loading speeds
- Features and resource allocations. Despite its range of scalable plans, Scala Hosting’s basic plans are limited and don’t come with many extras.
Serving millions of customers around the globe, Hostinger is well-known for its blazing fast speeds, thanks in part to its server network (which includes Brazil, Indonesia, and Singapore).
Scala Hosting can’t compete with Hostinger’s web hosting packages. Hostinger offers dirt-cheap shared hosting plans (with long-term subscriptions), although its cloud web hosting packages are pretty expensive in comparison.
Still, these plans include unlimited hosted websites, 2 CPU cores, 100GB SSD storage, and dedicated IP address. Scala Hosting’s basic cloud hosting plan is slightly cheaper, but you only receive a fraction of these features.
Hostinger has a reputation for its exceptionally trained customer support. The multilingual staff is available 24/7 through live chat, email, and support ticket. The website has an extensive Knowledge Base that contains articles and video tutorials.
Hostinger Web Hosting
- Consistent performance. Hostinger’s servers are impressively fast, stable, and secure – even when it comes to its shared hosting plans.
- Knowledgeable support. Helpful multilingual assistance is available 24/7 through different support channels. Plus, the extensive knowledge base covers everything from SSL to MySQL database management.
- Features. Hostinger offers premium features and generous resource allocations with all its cloud hosting plans, including the Cloud Startup plan.
- Optimized for WordPress. Even Hostinger’s most basic plan comes with managed WordPress and WordPress acceleration. You’ll have to choose one of Scala Hosting’s premium plans to receive the same perks.
|SSD storage||30GB – 200GB|
|Data center locations||US, UK, the Netherlands, Lithuania, Indonesia, Singapore, Brazil|
|Basic plan highlights||100GB bandwidth, managed WordPress, WordPress Acceleration, 2 databases, GIT access|
With 13 data centers around the world, including Hong Kong, Toronto, London, and Tel Aviv, Kamatera is an excellent choice if you want to reach audiences beyond the US and Eastern Europe.
Performance-wise, Kamatera easily meets its 99.95% guaranteed uptime. Also, the average page loading speed clocks in at a respectable 1.1 seconds, thanks to its widespread network of servers and sophisticated infrastructure, which is constantly updated.
If you’re looking for a flexible web host, look no further than Kamatera’s scalable server plans. Unlike Scala Hosting, Kamatera lets you adjust your server resources individually. You can also choose to manage the server yourself or have an expert do all the work, although the latter option isn’t cheap.
Kamatera is known for its prompt customer support. Agents are available 24/7/365 via support ticket, email, and phone, and are happy to help with most issues. However, if you’re looking for help in setting up your server, you’ll need to sign up for a managed service.
Kamatera VPS Hosting
- Expert customer support. While Scala Hosting’s support can be hit-or-miss, Kamatera’s agents are always available and highly efficient. If you don’t mind paying a little extra, you can also get an expert to manage and maintain your server.
- Fully customizable servers. Kamatara Express makes it easy to set up your server in seconds. You can choose your processor speed, operating system, SSD storage size, and data center location.
- Only pay for what you use. Kamatera’s powerful cloud-based hosting plans let you scale resources (up or down) at any time.
- No hidden fees. Although Kamatera’s prices range from affordable to expensive, there are no hidden costs or steep renewal fees. It also offers a 30-day free trial.
|SSD storage||30GB – 200GB|
|Data center locations||US, Canada, the Netherlands, Germany, UK, Israel, and Hong Kong|
|Basic plan highlights||Up to 4 dedicated IP addresses, 32 vCPUs, and the option to bring your own licensed OS|
When it comes to managed VPS hosting, Liquid Web doesn’t mess around. Its premium plans don’t come cheap, but you do get what you pay for: a wide range of feature-packed hosting solutions that can be built-to-order.
One major advantage that Liquid Web has over Scala Hosting (and many other competitors) is its consistent performance. Liquid Web has three data centers – two in the US and one in the Netherlands – that house more than 25,000 servers. The result? Outstanding uptime (an average of 99.998% over four months) and fast page loading speeds.
Liquid Web has a comprehensive Knowledge Base with solutions to frequently asked questions, often with easy-to-follow step-by-step tutorials. If you prefer instant support, chat and phone are available 24/7. Ticket support is also very quick.
Liquid Web WordPress Hosting
- 99.998% uptime. It’s hard to argue with Liquid Web’s statistics. Plus, the loading speeds are excellent.
- 12+ managed VPS plans to choose from. Liquid Web offers an array of managed VPS plans for Linux and Windows. You can also request a quote if you need more resources.
- Features you’ll actually need. All managed VPS plans come with fast SSD storage, off-site backups, multi-level DDoS protection, integrated firewall, free Cloudflare CDN, root access, and more.
- Get help when you need it. With its Helpful Humans in Hosting slogan, it’s clear that Liquid Web prioritizes quality customer support.
|SSD storage||15GB – 100GB|
|Data center locations||US, the Netherlands|
|Basic plan highlights||15GB storage, 2TB bandwidth, and unlimited email accounts|
One major consideration for any host should be its number of data centers, and even though InterServer is the only web host on this list that has fewer data center locations than Scala Hosting, I’m still going to recommend it. Here’s why: even though InterServer only has two data centers in the US, its page loading speeds in the US and Europe are impressive.
When it comes to price, InterServer and Scala Hosting offer affordable basic plans. But even on InterServer’s cheapest plan, you get some amazing perks like unlimited storage space, weekly backups, and Litespeed technology.
It even throws in some premium security features. If you want the same level of protection from Scala Hosting, you’ll have to upgrade your plan.
And while we’re on the subject of price, Scala Hosting’s renewal rates are costly, especially if you’ve signed on for one of its premium plans. For example, you’ll have to pay 50% more when you renew the Managed VPS plan. In comparison, InterServer’s Standard Web Hosting starts at $2.50 and renews for less than $10 per month.
InterServer Web Hosting
- Basic plans with not-so-basic features. When you compare InterServer’s cheapest plan to Scala Hosting’s entry-level plan, there’s no denying that InterServer offers more features and resources.
- International support. InterServer delivers its 24/7 phone support through native-speaking call centers in the US, UK, Israel, Brazil, and Mexico.
- A winning combination of LiteSpeed Caching and Cloudflare CDN. Every type of plan benefits from using LiteSpeed-enabled web servers and integration with Cloudflare CDN, which ensures your site loads quickly from any location.
- Loaded security. InterServer offers its own advanced security package (InterShield) with all its plans.
|Data center locations||US|
|Basic plan highlights||Unlimited bandwidth, unlimited FTP Accounts, Raid-10 SSD storage, phpMyAdmin|
Both Scala Hosting and A2 Hosting offer self-managed VPS hosting, but A2 Hosting is cheaper. In fact, its unmanaged VPS hosting is one of the cheapest in the market. When comparing unmanaged VPS plans, you’d still get a better deal upgrading to A2 Hosting’s Runway 4 plan, which offers more SSD storage and cores than Scala Hosting’s Start plan.
While Scala Hosting reserves most of its security features for its VPS plans, A2 Hosting automatically includes a wide range of advanced security features with all its plans. That’s not to say that Scala Hosting doesn’t have standard security features, but SSL certificates and automatic backups don’t exactly set this web host apart from the rest.
A2 Hosting’s average loading speed falls somewhere between good and okay, but its uptime average exceeds expectations. In fact, when we monitored A2 Hosting’s uptime for three months, our site was never down.
A2 Hosting Web Hosting
- Anytime money-back guarantee. You can cancel your contract anytime and still get a prorated refund for the unused period.
- Fast servers. A2 Hosting’s Turbo Boost plan doesn’t disappoint, and it’s still cheaper than Scala Hosting’s Managed VPS plan with LiteSpeed support.
- Managed WordPress. A2 Hosting’s affordable Managed WordPress plans will take care of your WordPress maintenance. You’ll never have to worry about updates again.
- Free page builders. A2 Hosting is a great choice if you’re new to website building. This host offers 1-click installations for the most popular, user-friendly page builders available. If you’re looking for the best option, try out Elementor or Site Origin.
|SSD storage||100GB – unlimited|
|Data center locations||US, the Netherlands, Singapore|
|Basic plan highlights||Unlimited bandwidth, RAID-10 SSD storage, unlimited email, free website staging|
GreenGeeks is an eco-friendly hosting provider that strives to minimize its carbon footprint by building an energy efficient platform. It also happens to be a good budget host that specializes in a wide range of feature-packed hosting solutions.
When it comes to basic web hosting and WordPress hosting, GreenGeeks is miles ahead of Scala Hosting. Not only are these plans cheaper, but they’re loaded with features that cover performance optimization, security, and e-commerce. There’s also a user-friendly drag-and-drop builder included. (Though I will note here that when it comes to VPS hosting, you’re better off with Liquid Web or Hostinger.)
It’s true that Scala Hosting has decent support, but GreenGeeks’ customer service is one of the best we’ve ever tested, and the response time is phenomenal. Available 24/7 by email or live chat, GreenGeeks agents are friendly, patient, and knowledgeable. If you’re a beginner and need some guidance, you won’t be disappointed when you contact support.
GreenGeeks Web Hosting
- Results-driven customer support. Unlike most web hosts, GreenGeeks actually cares about your issues and will try to resolve them as soon as possible. GreenGeeks also gets top marks for its knowledgeable technical support team.
- Excellent uptime. The sign of a good web host is consistent uptime, and like its customer service, GreenGeeks delivers here as well. In fact, its average uptime exceeds 99.9%, and server checks are performed every 10 seconds from multiple locations around the world.
- An eco-friendly host. GreenGeeks is committed to reducing carbon emissions and offers a 300% green hosting platform. It also partners with several charities, including the Bonneville Environmental Foundation and One Tree Planted.
- Affordable plans with unlimited resources. Pro and Premium plans offer unlimited hosted sites, email accounts, web space, and daily/on-demand backups.
|SSD storage||50 GB – unlimited|
|Data center locations||US, Canada, the Netherlands|
|Basic plan highlights||Unmetered bandwidth, 50 email accounts, free SSL, managed WordPress, unlimited databases, multi-user access|
Consider These Alternatives If Scala Hosting Isn’t Cutting It for You
If you feel that Scala Hosting is not quite right for you, there are several alternatives that provide a better level of performance, customer support, and scalable resources without blowing your budget.
If you need a budget-friendly host for VPS that doesn’t compromise quality or performance, Hostinger’s semi-managed VPS service is your best option. You can get up to 8 vCPUs, 8 GB of RAM, 160 GB SSD storage, 8 TB of bandwidth, and full root access. Plus, all plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
InterServer is another wallet-friendly option with shared hosting plans that offer 1-click installs for over 400 cloud apps. And when you take advantage of its Price Lock Guarantee, you won’t have to worry about high renewal fees.
If you’re looking for scalable resources and fully customizable servers for your business, then Kamatera is the host for you. You can scale resources (up or down) depending on your needs, and you only pay for what you use.
Take a look at the comparison table to see which one of my top hosts is right for you.
|Standout feature||Basic plan resources||Hosting plans||Starting price|
|Hostinger||Budget-friendly host with excellent loading times and multilingual customer support||1 website, 30GB storage, 10,000 monthly visits||Shared, Cloud, and VPS||$1.39|
|Kamatera||Fully scalable Cloud and VPS plans with powerful CPU resources available||1 vCPU, 20GB storage, 5,000GB bandwidth||Cloud and VPS||$4.00|
|Liquid Web||Scalable VPS plans and outstanding uptime (over 99.9% on average)||1 website, 15GB storage, 2TB bandwidth, unlimited email accounts||Managed WordPress, Cloud, and VPS||$13.30|
|InterServer||Cheap plans with unlimited resources and optimized LiteSpeed Web Server for all plans||Unlimited storage, unlimited data transfer, unlimited FTP accounts||Shared, Dedicated Server, Cloud VPS||$2.50|
|A2 Hosting||Cheap unmanaged VPS hosting with great security features||1 website, 5 databases, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited email accounts||Shared, VPS, Dedicated, and Reseller||$6.99|
|GreenGeeks||Affordable plans and results-driven customer support||1 website, unmetered bandwidth, 50 email accounts, Managed WordPress||Shared, WordPress, VPS, and Reseller||$2.95|
Which host is better – Scala Hosting or Kamatera?Well, it depends. While they’re both among the best cloud hosting services in 2022, there are some areas where Kamatera outshines Scala Hosting. Kamatera has a bigger and more widespread server network that includes Asia and the Middle East. It also offers better customer service and scalable resources.On the other hand, Scala Hosting offers cheaper managed hosting, and you can get some great deals for Scala Hosting’s VPS plans.What is Scala Hosting’s refund policy?Scala Hosting offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for new customers only, and it only applies to web hosting, reseller, VPS, and cloud server plans, as well as SSL certificates. Dedicated server plans, domain registration, and software licenses are non-refundable.Which host is cheaper than Scala Hosting?Hostinger offers a variety of cheaper semi-managed cloud VPS plans with full root access. And, while Hostinger’s cloud hosting plans are a tad more expensive, they offer better value for your money. A2 Hosting also has managed VPS plans (without root access) that are cheaper than Scala Hosting’s plans. If you’re looking for more options, check out our full list of the best web hosting services in 2022.Why should I look for alternatives to Scala Hosting?Even though Scala Hosting has its advantages, there are a few areas where it could improve. For example, Scala Hosting can’t back up its 99.9% uptime guarantee, and you’ll have to dig deep into your wallet to get premium features. If you’re looking for affordable hosting options, take a look at our list of high quality (and cheap) hosting services in 2022.